Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-01-2020, 06:18 PM
Senior Chief

Default Head bolt washers

I have two opinions head bolts with washers or not.. just looking to get an educated opinion

The Following User Says Thank You to Adecco For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2020, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

not

Old 03-01-2020, 06:30 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks

Old 03-01-2020, 06:38 PM
Suspended

Missing a few important facts - I think?

Iron Pontiac heads:

ARP bolts do use washers.
Factory does not use washers.

Different length bolts.
RAIV bolts are a different length that typical Pontiac heads.
Milled block or heads need to check to ensure the bolts don't bottom out.

Just throwing out a few more things based on a question in the dark.

Old 03-01-2020, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Disadvantage of using washers: will not provide a 100% stock appearance on a restoration. May not provide proper clamping load if not proper head bolt torqueing washers. (parallel ground, hardened material, proper OD and ID.
Advantages of using washers: Better clamp load if proper torque washers are used with correct lubrication and techniques. Eliminates issues of bottoming fasteners after machine work. Necessary for proper clamp load on aluminum heads and to prevent cracking and indenting of aluminum with proper lubrication.

Remember, washers were not OE because they were not required on iron heads with all new parts. In service, they are recommended. GM saved the cost of 20 washers OE, which may have been $1.00 per engine , millions of dollars saved over the years.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:48 PM
Senior Chief

Iron heads stock head bolts

Old 03-01-2020, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not totally relevant if you’re not running RAV or SD-455 heads, but both those original applications used head bolts with washers.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With stock head bolts on a rebuilt engine, just make absolutely sure the bolts do not bottom out in the block holes. A very simple way to do this is to put the heads on without head gaskets and put all the bolts in. They should all go in and snug up with no real effort until the underside of the bolt head touches the cylinder head. If any are sticking up even a little, the threads are dirty or rusted near the bottom and will need to be cleaned. If a bunch or all are sticking up, I would use torqueing washers . Using the stock bolts, the torque specs were developed with the bolts lightly oiled. Put a little oil under the bolt head and a little on the threads and torque them up in sequence in three steps ending at 95 ft. lbs.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I don’t build that many engines, but last couple, I sat the heads on end and inserted the head bolts in their holes, and looked at bolt ends to make sure none of the bolt shank was below the surface.
Dave Bisschop has a tech article on his website, everyone needs to read. Just something else to think of when doing a proper engine build.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 03-02-2020, 01:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you use washers, DO NOT grease the underside of the washer, or the cylinder head where the washer sits. Assembly lube on the bolt threads and the underside of the bolt head ONLY.