Old 11-23-2021, 01:32 PM
Senior Chief

Default 62 Cataline Boxed lower control arms

I am thinking of boxing the rear lower control arms on my 1962 Catalina.

Looking to get thoughts and opinions?

The car has a tremic 5 speed, 410 gear, 32 inch tall 10 slick/frame rails notched/mini tub and a nice built Pontiac engine (IA2) that I picked up, front plate with solid motor mounts and just want to make the rear a little stronger (stock 62 housing, with strange internals and axels)

Thanks Tom

Old 11-23-2021, 04:27 PM

If you can weld I don't think it's a big deal as a DIY project. Alternately, you can buy aftermarket boxed control arms from I think a couple different sources.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently boxed a set of lower control arms for my current 67 Tempest project. Basically free if you have enough scrap steel and a welder. Definitely beefier than the factory control arms. I also drilled holes for a rear sway bar and welded in some sleeves so that when the bolts are tightened they wont crush the control arms.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:00 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks

Old 11-23-2021, 09:40 PM
Senior Chief

I boxed control arms for several cars in the past. It is kind of fun and rewarding.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You could always replace with adjustable fabbed ones.

https://pmtfabrication.com/product/1...-trailing-arms
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3F03D4B2-54E7-46A7-9C47-580CBF0D44D5.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	578487  

Old 11-30-2021, 10:29 AM
Senior Chief

very nice thanks for the link..

Old 11-30-2021, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered custom tubular lower control arms for mine from an online offroad shop called thorbros. That being said, welding in some steel plates would be by far the easiest and cheapest option.

https://thorbros.com/4-link-parts/4-...-poly-bushings

Cost was far less than the PMT fabrication units.
I made my own adjustable uppers using DOM steel tube, weld-in inserts and heim joints made for rock crawler/buggy stuff. (Total overkill.)

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:10 PM
Suspended

You guys do realize your binding the rear ends movement boxing those arms. The engineers figured in the flex of the rubber bushing and the flexing of the arm. They made those arms flimsy like that for good reason.

What you need to do is pick up some left and right thread, Delrin sleeved, spherical bushings along with the weld in threaded bungs. Then get some 1-1/2 to 2" rigid pipe and make some fully adjustable lower control arms. I would also do the same for the uppers. Having a four-wheel alignment is amazing! Your cars handling and ride will be light years better.

I use the Currie Johnny Joint.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The factory DID box the lower rear control arms in later years and once you add the rear antisway bar there probably isn't a whole lot of flex left.

Old 01-05-2022, 02:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The boxed control arms were a sales gimmick, did next to nothing for handling.
That is because they were a square/rectangular cross section. Get a 2 foot long piece of square tube & put one end in a vice. If you get a wrench on the other end, you will be able to twist it.

Now put a piece of round tube in a vice & repeat above. Just about impossible to twist round tube of that length.

If you want handling improvement, use control arms that use round section pipe.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would be more worried about the 60 year old center section breaking. We raced those cars back when they were new and broke the center sections. The cast iron case would crack and that was with sh---y 7 inch wide slicks and probably a lot less HP.

Old 01-06-2022, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 389 View Post
You guys do realize your binding the rear ends movement boxing those arms. The engineers figured in the flex of the rubber bushing and the flexing of the arm. They made those arms flimsy like that for good reason.

What you need to do is pick up some left and right thread, Delrin sleeved, spherical bushings along with the weld in threaded bungs. Then get some 1-1/2 to 2" rigid pipe and make some fully adjustable lower control arms. I would also do the same for the uppers. Having a four-wheel alignment is amazing! Your cars handling and ride will be light years better.

I use the Currie Johnny Joint.
Check pics on my profile page of the ones I made for my ‘63 Safari. Round tube, Johnny Joints on one end. Adjustable lowers.