Old 11-30-2021, 10:08 PM
Suspended

Look good. Interesting with the updated OER casting. The paint is a much closer match than I would have thought looking at other pics, but then your originals also look light so shows photos are hard to tell much from.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:30 PM
Senior Chief

That might be because I had the contrast all wrong, with the reproduction sitting on bright cardboard while the OEM has a black tire mounted on it.. Here's a better shot that really shows the difference in color:

The original matches the gold graphics on the car much better. The reproduction is more yellow. It's still definitely gold, mind you, and I'm not sure anyone would call them out as "fake" unless they had the originals to compare to.

Last edited by GoreMaker; 11-30-2021 at 10:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoreMaker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 12:11 AM
Suspended

Yep, that's it. Good comparison. I'm not sure about OER but assume the same as YO being powdercoated gold and clear rather than paint for better wear. I'm sure once all on the car it will look perfect. It's mainly if you had one of each that the issue may come up!

Just swapping the tyres over or plans for fresh there also?

Random pic for sake of it. Here's a comparison pic I took 10 years ago of the new YO snowflakes with a Pontiac paint chart, albeit in the shade. It was a spur of the moment pic while dropping them into storage. The top Gold is 55 which they should be, the lower is 56. Yours are possibly closer to 50, which is in another pic I took. I need to retake them in sun.

YO Snowflake gold vs 55 Gold top 56 Burnished Gold lower by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Last edited by Aus78Formula; 12-01-2021 at 12:19 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aus78Formula For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 12:32 AM
Senior Chief

I hate BF Goodrich Radial T/As with a deep, dark passion. With the level of grip they provide, I might as well be running wooden donuts on the wheels. I can't wait to get rid of them. Cooper Cobras are an improvement, but not by much. I've heard good things about Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T, but they're still a very traditional tread and compound and S speed rated, which means a very flexy sidewall.

I recently discovered new tires that I tried out on my '93 Roadmaster wagon over the summer. They're Vitour Galaxy R1 tires, available in all the same sizes as BF Goodrich Radial T/As, and then some. Those tires have been absolutely phenomenal on my Roadmaster. Modern tread, tons of lateral grip and gobs of brake traction. They're H speed rated (130mph) and have a very nice sidewall that doesn't flex excessively, yet they ride super smooth. The compound is sticky just touching them with bare hands. All that and white lettering, too. I run them in 255/70R15 all around on 15x7 OEM wheels, which is a ton of sidewall. I've put over 10k miles on them so far and they're barely worn at all despite some very aggressive driving in a 4700 pound car.

The reason I bought these 15x8 wheels is to take better advantage of those tires in 255/60R15 front and 275/60R15 rear sizes on the Trans Am. Those sizes are V speed rated (149mph), with an even stiffer sidewall. I can't wait to see how they improve the car's handling.

Old 12-01-2021, 01:01 AM
Suspended

Haha no argument here. The BFGs look good, and...no that's it really! I have the 255/275 combo on mine from 15 years ago and it's like a steam roller vs bouncy castle in handling! It's come a long way since then with suspension upgrades and different tyres on another set of rims but yeah.

Old 12-01-2021, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreMaker View Post
I hate BF Goodrich Radial T/As with a deep, dark passion. With the level of grip they provide, I might as well be running wooden donuts on the wheels. I can't wait to get rid of them. Cooper Cobras are an improvement, but not by much. I've heard good things about Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T, but they're still a very traditional tread and compound and S speed rated, which means a very flexy sidewall.

I recently discovered new tires that I tried out on my '93 Roadmaster wagon over the summer. They're Vitour Galaxy R1 tires, available in all the same sizes as BF Goodrich Radial T/As, and then some. Those tires have been absolutely phenomenal on my Roadmaster. Modern tread, tons of lateral grip and gobs of brake traction. They're H speed rated (130mph) and have a very nice sidewall that doesn't flex excessively, yet they ride super smooth. The compound is sticky just touching them with bare hands. All that and white lettering, too. I run them in 255/70R15 all around on 15x7 OEM wheels, which is a ton of sidewall. I've put over 10k miles on them so far and they're barely worn at all despite some very aggressive driving in a 4700 pound car.

The reason I bought these 15x8 wheels is to take better advantage of those tires in 255/60R15 front and 275/60R15 rear sizes on the Trans Am. Those sizes are V speed rated (149mph), with an even stiffer sidewall. I can't wait to see how they improve the car's handling.
the M/T radial ST tires are not the same S speed rating & old tread design as BFG's. they are T rated & have a little bit newer tread design, i havent used them myself but have seen them on a friends car & they are a much nicer looking & feeling tire than BFGs. & they dont have the common dingy white letter issues that many BFGs can have. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-6028

ive never heard of those galaxy R1 tires, they look like a nice tire & the V speed rating is unheard of for 15"' tires & they are priced a lot less. none of the bigger local places like discount tire or tires plus or summit etc carry them though, looks like only 1 or 2 online places & maybe amazon have them.

also, looking at the pics you posted of your 15x7 wheels, are you sure those are original finished factory wheels? the close up pics sure do look like they have been refinished with the thick powder clear all over & the lug nut seats look like they have gotten into the casting area of the hub, which is common when these wheels get turned down on a lathe. if thats the case the gold is not the original factory paint, its powder coat then powder clear that gives the spokes that overly glossy smoothed look.

Last edited by 78w72; 12-01-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:57 AM
Senior Chief

I bought mine from Performance Plus Tire last spring, and I just ordered the new set for the Trans Am a couple weeks ago. That's the only place I could find them, but they delivered fast

Old 12-01-2021, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I bought mine from Performance Plus Tire last spring, and I just ordered the new set for the Trans Am a couple weeks ago. That's the only place I could find them, but they delivered fast
yeah thats the only place i found them online, let us know how you like them.

& i edited my post with a question on the 15x7 wheels if you missed it.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:05 AM
Senior Chief

I haven't removed the wheels from the car yet to give them a proper inspection. I do know they haven't been touched in over 13 years. The car has been driven like fewer than 3000 miles in that time. They do look clear coated on the machined surface, is that not how they're supposed to be?

Old 12-01-2021, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You prob could have had a orig set redone. For around the same price There’s a guy in the area here that does snowflakes, (Fred) but he doesn’t do the lathe skim, also there’s a rim place that paints them first, then does a skim on a lathe. Gm didn’t clear them. If you seal the alum it slows down the oxidation, j&j paste wax works well. If that clear coat e er yellows or starts to peel, your going to have a mess.
I don’t like putting the orig cast marks in, talk about counterfeiting,

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-01-2021, 11:23 AM
Senior Chief

There's nothing wrong with the 15x7's that are on there now, they're in fantastic shape. I wanted the 8" wide wheels so the wider tires don't bulge out so much at the sidewalls and the tread lays flatter for better grip

Old 12-01-2021, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 6o’s on my 7” and there’s no bulge. I’m just not a fan of the 8’s. They always called them disco wheels, I just just don’t like all the flash. My 7’s are now a table, I put gold rally’s on. Found a mint orig set at the swap.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-01-2021, 11:46 AM
Senior Chief

It's not the aspect ratio that does it, it's the 275 width. I dislike how much the sidewalls get pulled in on 7" wheels, it prevents the entire width of the tread from sitting flat on the road surface. Technically, 275 tires aren't even approved for 7" wheels, they call for at least 7.5", although I know plenty of people run them on 7" wheels anyways. And this is also a step in getting WS6 bits retrofitted onto a '77 that was never available with that package. I personally prefer the look of the 8" wide wheels over the 7".

My Roadmaster has 15x7 wheels, and the 255/70 tires are about as wide as I'd go on there. The sidewalls bulge noticeably. I'm considering getting those wheels widened to 8" to run the same 255/275 setup.

The Following User Says Thank You to GoreMaker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I haven't removed the wheels from the car yet to give them a proper inspection. I do know they haven't been touched in over 13 years. The car has been driven like fewer than 3000 miles in that time. They do look clear coated on the machined surface, is that not how they're supposed to be?
i looked at the pics again closer, those are definitely refinished wheels with the thick powder clear & have been turned on a lathe. if you compare them to originals you can see the ring of the lug nut seats are much bigger & protrude into the area of the hub edges. they looke nice but have tell tale signs of refinishing. can also see some discoloration or staining in the gold & spoke areas. just wanted to mention that for comparing the gold colors since the powder gold used by the refinish companies isnt always factory correct.

from what i have read & seen the factory did clear these wheels, but it was a very thin lacquer based clear that wore off over the years. if they werent cleared they would have oxidized & dulled within a couple years.

disco....

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 11:55 AM
Senior Chief

I did notice that there was a significant amount of machined surface around the center cap on the original wheels compared to the reproductions. Wasn't sure if that's original, but your explanation makes sense.

I'm not sure where this "disco" thing comes from. The fact that the 8" wheels have a machined lip around the circumference? To each their own tastes and opinions. In any case, I kinda like that part of it.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I did notice that there was a significant amount of machined surface around the center cap on the original wheels compared to the reproductions. Wasn't sure if that's original, but your explanation makes sense.

I'm not sure where this "disco" thing comes from. The fact that the 8" wheels have a machined lip around the circumference? To each their own tastes and opinions. In any case, I kinda like that part of it.
ive been through some nightmares with refinishing these snowflakes, had 3 sets done before finally finding a place that did quality work, i ended up having my recent set of 15x8s NOT powder cleared due to how thick they do it & how unnatural it looks, first sets had debris in the clear & terrible orange peel, when they redid them the 2nd time they removed so much metal that the lug seats looked like yours & the outer edge where the tire beads up was super thin, so bad my tire guy said he wouldnt use them like that.

the disco thing gets repeated quite a bit on here lately but always by the same guy.... the vast majority of people prefer the 8" wheels over the lame 7", they look way better & allow for wider tires for better performance if/when desired. funny how everyone wanted the 8" for their non WS6 cars back in the day & still prefer them today, theres a reason why the 7" wheels arent repro'd.

Old 12-01-2021, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus78Formula View Post
Haha no argument here. The BFGs look good, and...no that's it really! I have the 255/275 combo on mine from 15 years ago and it's like a steam roller vs bouncy castle in handling! It's come a long way since then with suspension upgrades and different tyres on another set of rims but yeah.
My T/A drives, corners, and rides BETTER with the repro Goodyear Steel Belted Radials than with the BFG's they replaced. The main downside to the repro tires is the cost. But BFG's are far from cheap either.

While the 8" are preferred by most for aforementioned reasons listed above, everyone and their brother run them on so many '77-'81's that I have grown to dislike them. I'll stick with my 7" wheels.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 12-01-2021, 08:39 PM
Suspended

NOS snowflakes definitely show clear coat after machining.

Those rims still look pretty good, some aren't quite as neat when 'restored'. Also with snowflakes, it can be more obvious as they have the multi-angled facing to the spokes and the change in angles aren't always in the centre of the spoke casting like originally.

Rumour has it the designers of the late 70's Firebird and snowflakes were listening to Boney M on repeat and wanted a 'disco-ball' rim, the larger Fisher T-Tops were purely for afro clearance. But still offered Rally rims for those closet disco fans in denial publicly.

Last edited by Aus78Formula; 12-01-2021 at 08:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aus78Formula For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Disco thing comes from these cars were out during the Disco era . The flakes are about as flashy as you can get. Funny thing, I saw more cars with rally’s than flakes.
Now, it’s like, PUT SOME 8” flakes on your ta. And BFG’s. My 78 came with Firestones on. Not a fan of the BFG’s
I used to love 8 lugs, now everyone puts them on. They must come with 421 badges too. Lmao
I have a nos flake wheel from Kelsey Hayes, no clear coat. I repainted my flakes in the 80’s, no clear coat.
I doubt in Iowa you saw a lot of F body’s, lol. I saw alot here, and they called the 8”ers disco wheels.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱

Last edited by burd; 12-01-2021 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yeah there aren't many fbodies in iowa, ive only seen like 2 or 3...

But still offered Rally rims for those closet disco fans in denial publicly. LOL!