Old 07-25-2019, 08:08 PM
Senior Chief

Default Vintage Air

I have a 76 TA, originally with AC. I pulled it out a lonng time ago and cleaned up the firewall with a AC Delete plate. I am thinking of adding AC again, and notice the Air Vintage unit gives a clean firewall. Aside from that, are the experiences that people have had or heard of generally positive or negative for these conversions. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:23 PM
Senior Chief

I've never heard anyone who got it, in any make or model car say anything negative about Vintage Air.
The heater core in my wife's 65 GTO leaked out onto (thankfully) the plastic Pontiac floor mat. I capped the core and looped the water hose that used to go to it back into the head. Rather than spend all that money on a repaired or replacement core, I'm waiting for the Vintage Air. Win-Win...
Unless someone says otherwise...
As an alternative, these folks look fancy:
https://www.restomodair.com/air-conditioning-systems/
This company claims a minimum of modifications:
https://www.classicautoair.com/gener...tioning_gm_ac/
And then:
https://nostalgicac.com/complete-ac-kits.html

Old 07-26-2019, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by avman View Post
I've never heard anyone who got it, in any make or model car say anything negative about Vintage Air...
On the engine side of the firewall it is excellent, inside - crap.

For starters, the brackets are weak and very poorly designed, Having the fan, heater and evaporator is not a good idea, the fan is extremely noisy and the oval mating flanges for the flexible tubes bite. The slide controls are nice though.

our mounts for the VA setup:

We will be changing a 78 Y88 to AC, modding the existing engine side heater plenum to hold an evaporator and making a plenum for the floor outlet that will work with the upper vents...

Old 07-27-2019, 12:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Scarebird, : The copper looking tube in the picture ,is that the heater core,or the evaporator?

Old 07-27-2019, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heater.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:40 PM

Did the installation in my 67 GTO (w/factory air) myself and found it to be a long process but took my time and only cussed a few times. The only additional expense was having it charged at a local shop. That was in the summer of 2016. the unit is still going strong with no issues, no leakage of any kind. Do have to say that there was a lot of duct hoses to run under the dash and things got a little tight in that regard. I would say A++ on support as I got halfway into the install and realized I had been sent a condenser mount kit for a 64.......they overnighted the correct one no charge (of course). I would also say that the directions were very nicely done as well. If you are not aware, you can go to their site and view an/or print the instructions. FYI: The folks at Dakota Instruments make a climate control kit that I'm going to by, I think. Costs $400 but it is made for the Gen IV unit specifically and is endorsed by Vintage Air as well.

Chemnick

Old 08-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post

We will be changing a 78 Y88 to AC, modding the existing engine side heater plenum to hold an evaporator and making a plenum for the floor outlet that will work with the upper vents...
I'm listening. So you will divorce the evap from the all in one case, and mount it in the original type heater case on the firewall? Or a different case?

Are you starting with an original non-A/C or A/C car?

One thing on 2nd gen A/C cars is that it uses space on the dash panel for the 2 center vents, and that can detract from using up valuable gauge (or other) space. But not sure where else you could put that, without it looking out of place?

Reusing OE ducting?

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-06-2019, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Non AC car. Yes, I am looking to mod the external heater duct to hold an evaporator, and make a box to replace the floor outlet with a valve that will push air out the dash vents and/or under dash like those aftermarket AC unit of the 60's and 70's.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Would really like to see how that turns out, let me know when you get further with that project please.

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 01-25-2020, 01:32 PM
Senior Chief

Has anyone done or seen the area of the kick panel fresh air cover on a second gen Firebird where the four hoses come through for the heater and AC. Is it in the face or does it tuck up high enough to at least be partially out of view? Thanks.

Old 01-25-2020, 02:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did a Classic Auto Air in a '67 Bird and thought it was an easy install. 3 years & close to 15k miles in the Florida heat & I'm happy with it so far.

I just looked & I don't see a "Perfect Fit" system for your car, but they do have Universal systems that may work. Give them a call and see. I called tech support once or twice during my install & they were friendly & very helpful.

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 01-25-2020, 03:45 PM
Senior Chief

Since this thread is seeing some new activity, since my post 7/25/2019, my wife and I did our annual week of Cruisin the Coast in Mississippi. There are always a host of vendors set up displaying and selling their wares at the Gulf Coast Coliseum. I did preliminary recon on Thursday, and then with wife in tow went back on Friday, the last day of their attendance, to carry out the mission. Dealing with 2 vendors, All American Powertrain and Rex Watson of Affordable Street Rods, we shopped for the majority of items that have been on "the list" for the GTO and the Roadrunner. Mostly the GTO, but I got a lot of great stuff for the Roadrunner too, but mostly "duplicates" of GTO items. I still plan on building a stroker motor for the Roadrunner, while the 421 in the GTO has already been rebuilt, and other than the Tripower carbs currently being "BONESKE-FIED" and I am excited to see how that turns out, unless I eventually replace the ported iron 6777 heads w/aftermarket aluminum HP heads, or if the Tripower still leaves too much to want for and I have to do a 3x2 EFI TBI system to keep my wife from screaming at me, the Pontiac engine is done...
So anyway, back on point, I got the Vintage Air Exact Fit System for both cars, and the only change I made was subbing a firewall hose bulkhead in for the fenderwell bulkhead I switched out. I've used the hole in the fenderwell that is for UCA bolt adjustment in order to access different things on my 440.
So Vintage Air was our choice, and that's going in the Roadrunner first, along with Wilwood 4 wheel 6 piston caliper disc brakes, which the GTO already has a Wilwood disc brake system. Both get the WRAPTOR serpentine belt and accessory system, which not only adds a beautiful A/C compressor (we deleted the Vintage Air AC compressors) but new water pump, power steering pump (so now the RR will have power steering! Yea!) remote PS reservoir for the GTO, 140 amp alternator, 8 rib belt, pulleys, tensioner, and beautiful brackets.
Lots more was purchased, but my main reason for posting was the Vintage Air.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:06 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the update. I’m sorting out the VA stuff and when I eventually do this, I also will opt out of the compressor (VA advice) because I need the March brackets in my case, and March sells a nice polished compressor. Also trying to find pictures on the web of the second gen kick panel with VA but no luck on my first quick attempt. Off topic now. A couple winters ago I swapped out my OEM disc and drum set-up with the Wilwood six piston 12.88-inch rotors up front, and four piston 12.19-inch in back. Very happy. Due to vacuum, I also opted for the Vintage Reaper hyrdoboost system with Wilwood master and proportioning valve. Again, very happy and awesome braking. Not dishing the OEM brakes though, just wanted improved braking performance.

Old 01-26-2020, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm getting closer to needing to do something for A/C on my car, any updates Scarebird?

EDIT: I was thinking of doing a smoothie panel, not sure if I will go that route, depending on what my options are for the case(s).

Old 01-26-2020, 03:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76TA462 View Post
Thanks for the update. I’m sorting out the VA stuff and when I eventually do this, I also will opt out of the compressor (VA advice) because I need the March brackets in my case, and March sells a nice polished compressor. Also trying to find pictures on the web of the second gen kick panel with VA but no luck on my first quick attempt. Off topic now. A couple winters ago I swapped out my OEM disc and drum set-up with the Wilwood six piston 12.88-inch rotors up front, and four piston 12.19-inch in back. Very happy. Due to vacuum, I also opted for the Vintage Reaper hyrdoboost system with Wilwood master and proportioning valve. Again, very happy and awesome braking. Not dishing the OEM brakes though, just wanted improved braking performance.
That is interesting...I chose the EXACT same diameter rotors, front and rear, but the rear calipers in my case are also 6 piston, and I chose to keep my Wilwood master cylinder manual brakes, because I believe they have more feedback and are easier to modulate. Power brakes are too much like a light switch to me. That is for my Roadrunner.
The Wilwoods on the GTO are definitely 4 piston, probably 12.19 but I will have to look again.
Good luck!