Old 09-02-2019, 08:55 PM

Default Water Pump Removed, How To Remove Coolant Tubes

I have a 78 Y88 Trans Am with a Pontiac 400. I wanted to do some work with the water pump. I also wanted to replace to two coolant tubes, I was able to pull the left one out but the right one won’t budge. I’ve tried to use a pair of pliers to pull, a was able to get a screwdriver behind the lip and I tried to twist. I also tried a pry bar after brushing some CLR (Calcium Lime and Rust remover).

Is there a tool or better technique I could use?

Thanks for any help.
TH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-02-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTownCharlie View Post
I have a 78 Y88 Trans Am with a Pontiac 400. I wanted to do some work with the water pump. I also wanted to replace to two coolant tubes, I was able to pull the left one out but the right one won’t budge. I’ve tried to use a pair of pliers to pull, a was able to get a screwdriver behind the lip and I tried to twist. I also tried a pry bar after brushing some CLR (Calcium Lime and Rust remover).

Is there a tool or better technique I could use?

Thanks for any help.
TH

Hi the best way is to remove the timming chain cover but be carefull even many times people try to remove the sleeve tubes and broken the timing cover

the best way is dont removed the sleeve
cleaned well the area and replace both sleeve seals
but the only way to get the seals you need to buy the
Felpro TCS 13383-3 GASKET SET TIMMING COVER
you can use the Sleeve Seals and the gasket for water pump.

to the sleeve you already removed put some grease before inserted again and also the two large bolt from the water pump put grease before installed back.

hope this helps

Old 09-02-2019, 10:17 PM

Thanks. Pulling the timing cover, for me, is method of last resort. Pulling the water pump off was a real stretch of my automotive skills. I’ll keep trying on the tube and do some research on the timing cover removal and replacement.

Again, thanks for your reply.
TH

Old 09-04-2019, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

WD-40 and over time may help too.

If you do get it out, and the cover is still good, coat the sleeve with anti-seize before you install them. Also coat the 2 studs that go into the block and thru the cover, those too get locked up. This is usually caused by gaskets leaking into that cavity.

(credit goes to gilg, his comments are accurate)

If you need a late cover that does not have the timing indicator, I will let a NOS one go inexpensively.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-04-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post

If you do get it out, and the cover is still good, coat the sleeve with anti-seize before you install them. Also coat the 2 studs that go into the block and thru the cover, those too get locked up. This is usually caused by gaskets leaking into that cavity.

If you need a late cover that does not have the timing indicator, I will let a NOS one go inexpensively.

Thanks, That's really helpful. After half a can of PB Blaster and some twisting with the pliers I was able to finally remove it using a sawzall type tool. Now I can clean up and be ready when my new water cooler ships next Monday.

I really wouldn't have attempted this without the knowledge I've pick up here. I'm still nervous, but if I can get everything back together without major leaks I have the confidence to tackle other jobs.

I want to give a shout out to Scott Thelander for reaching out to me and giving me ideas and more importantly, encouragement to keep at it!

[IMG]IMG_0253[1] by Anthony Horn, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0254[1] by Anthony Horn, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0257[1] by Anthony Horn, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 09-05-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post

Thanks to HWYSTR455
Also they can use PB Blaster to remove the sleeve but must to be carefully as i quote before some people removed and make cracks in the Timing chain cover and start to leak coolant and even start mix water to the oil pan Thanks.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTownCharlie View Post
Thanks, That's really helpful. After half a can of PB Blaster and some twisting with the pliers I was able to finally remove it using a sawzall type tool. Now I can clean up and be ready when my new water cooler ships next Monday.

I really wouldn't have attempted this without the knowledge I've pick up here. I'm still nervous, but if I can get everything back together without major leaks I have the confidence to tackle other jobs.

I want to give a shout out to Scott Thelander for reaching out to me and giving me ideas and more importantly, encouragement to keep at it!

[IMG]IMG_0253[1] by Anthony Horn, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0254[1] by Anthony Horn, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0257[1] by Anthony Horn, on Flickr[/IMG]
Good Job!!!!