Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Window Sweeps

I bought windows sweeps from your catalog and the catalog said these sweeps were some of the best in the industry.

In this photo, the one on the top is from Ames (brand is Catwhiskers) and the part the window rides on is a rubber hose with a thin layer of felt.

The bottom sweep is another aftermarket sweep with a factory style felt, from Muscle Car Industries.

Your part may not be the best in the industry. I am out shipping both ways now since I need to return.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_434.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	519004  

Old 09-05-2019, 02:20 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenga View Post
I bought windows sweeps from your catalog and the catalog said these sweeps were some of the best in the industry.

In this photo, the one on the top is from Ames (brand is Catwhiskers) and the part the window rides on is a rubber hose with a thin layer of felt.

The bottom sweep is another aftermarket sweep with a factory style felt, from Muscle Car Industries.

Your part may not be the best in the industry. I am out shipping both ways now since I need to return.
We do extensive research to make sure we carry the most correct option of any part available. This doesn't seem quite right! Have you contacted our customer service department regarding this? We are always open to feedback. Please send over an email with your order info to kyler@amesperf.com, I'll see what I can come up with.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you. I have sent 4 emails and talked to your customer support. No resolution. I want to return these. I bought the GM parts from you instead. I hope you can take care of all the shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7C579106-3173-4839-93C3-3EF81935AF37.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	519530  

Old 09-16-2019, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No one can even make the sweeps like the originals. I was mad the staples showed, unlike the originals that were on my GTO. I searched all over and talked to a few guys plus a vendor that makes them now about this. The machinery GM, or it's vendor, used no longer exists... it was special machinery and was destroyed long ago. What you get today is as close as you cant get.... and some are better than others. I believe my replacements came from PY long before they closed the doors.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sometimes what is thought of being simple is not. Case in point are the reproduction door seals. Apparently, the GM skin latex rubber composition is a proprietary formula, and nobody can make one with the appearance and compressibility of the OEM GM seals. Thats why guys like me spend $250 for a F body door seal so I don't have to slam my doors..

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 09-20-2019, 08:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

All aftermarket door seals are inferior compared to oem. Someone used to make latex coated ones but they disappeared for some reason.