67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Rebuilding a driveshaft

I have a 68 Bird with the original Muncie 4 speed. I would like to have my drive shaft rebuilt. Anyone know of a shop in the Milwaukee to Green Bay area that can do a really good job with welding in a new tube and balancing it? Any ideas on price?

Thanks
Old Joe

Old 02-25-2020, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtobird View Post
I have a 68 Bird with the original Muncie 4 speed. I would like to have my drive shaft rebuilt. Anyone know of a shop in the Milwaukee to Green Bay area that can do a really good job with welding in a new tube and balancing it? Any ideas on price?

Thanks
Old Joe
Why would you need a new tube? Driveshafts aren't that expensive. My 69 had some chatter and I had it balanced with new U-joints for about $200. Any decent driveshaft shop should be able to fix a stock driveshaft and if it needs to be replaced, a used one isn't that much.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Why do I need a new tube? Because mine is extremely pitted and I'm doing a high end restoration.

Why not buy new? Because I want mine to have the original end pieces and want it to look as factory correct as possible

Why don't I just get a used one? Because I haven't found any at a reasonable price that are in great shape that are originals for a 68 Firebird. I have 3 nice Camaro driveshafts, but they are slightly different on the yoke end. This certainly is an option if I can find the correct 68 Firebird shaft at a reasonable price that is in superb condition.

Rebuilding mine with a new tube seems like the best option if I can find a good driveshaft shop as my end pieces are in great shape. The yoke shows no seal wear. Just need to know where in Wisconsin I can get good quality work done at a fair price.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same problem here in Winneconne, WI. Appleton Crankshaft used to do this, but Dave is retiring and, as of Feb. 29, is not taking in new work after that date. We're changing from a TH350 to 2004r, which I believe has a different spline, diameter, and length.

Anyone in Wisconsin have a good source?

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 03-22-2020, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A-1 drive shaft in Milwaukee, across the street from the old AO Smith. Not the best neighborhood...

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 03-22-2020, 08:11 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
Same problem here in Winneconne, WI. Appleton Crankshaft used to do this, but Dave is retiring and, as of Feb. 29, is not taking in new work after that date. We're changing from a TH350 to 2004r, which I believe has a different spline, diameter, and length.

Anyone in Wisconsin have a good source?
Machine Service Inc in Green Bay. Very good service and fast turn around. Likely have any u joints or inputs in Stock. They make and balance drive shafts every day. Machineservice.com. A few weeks ago balanced and straightened one for $100 the next day was ready.

Sent from my SM-T807R4 using Tapatalk

Old 03-23-2020, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Option B for SE WI.
Machine Service in Waukesha, just North of I-94. Been around for years.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 03-26-2020, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If all else fails, blast your tube, fill the pitting with steel epoxy and sand it smooth. Shouldn't affect balance much, if at all..

Old 03-27-2020, 03:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm definitely an advocate of going new unless you never plan to put your foot in it. Rust on the outside can at least be seen and evaluated - rust on the inside is a silent killer. At least the Firebird has a shorter driveshaft which takes some stress out of it. Pictured is the driveshaft and trans out of my '67 GTO Cruiser. We had a chromoly driveshaft made up for the '68 bird that my son raced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveshaft failure.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	535464