Old 08-03-2018, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '65 GTO

I'm watching my favorite preacher, Jerry Savelle, preaching at the Southwest Believer's convention. He just told about a favorite car he had, which was a '65 4-speed, 3-deuce GTO.

Later, a guy gave him one, which he had restored, then sold. Then later, a guy gave him a real nice Gold one. He talks about having a preacher friend as a passenger & gettin rubber in 3 gears. Hey, is it any wonder this is my favorite preacher ?

http://www.kcm.org/watch/live

The services are streamed live, and are on BVOVN, which is channel 265 on Dish. Recordings of all services will eventually be available, in case anybody is interested.

Jerry Savelle had a paint & body shop in Shreveport, LA, back in the '60's. His dad was also a paint & body man. When the Corvette 1st came out, he was specially trained to do repair work on the FG Vette bodies. Jerry said that for several years, his dad did most of the body repairs on most of the Vettes in the Ark-La-Tex area. His dad also did a lot of circle track racing. So, Jerry grew up at race tracks. He also did some drag racing. He's told the story of being at a race in Hallsville Texas, where we later raced quite a bit, when somebody wrecked a Vette. He immediately asked to buy the wrecked Vette. He took it home in the back of a truck, if I remember the story correctly. He took it back to his dad to put back together. He told today about trading a piece of land for a restored '67 427 4-speed Vette.

While I was typing this last paragraph, Jerry Got thru, & his passenger in the GTO is now gonna preach for a while. He's been known as a crazy Cajun preacher. He was once a long haired rock musician, who did drugs. But he's been preaching for a long time now. Another of the speakers was a fighter pilot. So, some of you guys may enjoy listening to some of these guys. They are not your average preachers.

Last edited by ponyakr; 08-03-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 40th

Well, I mentioned it in a earlier post. TJ & I just celebrated our 40th anniversary. 1st met in late 1967. Had our 1st date in early '68. And, as they say, "The rest is history.", much of which is covered in this thread.

We've had a great life, and made a lot of good memories together, many of which involve Pontiacs.

We were always sort of an odd couple. Never seemed to have the same likes or do many of the things normal couples did. So, in keeping with this theme, we celebrated our 40th, by piggin out at the Golden Corral.

Well, actually it was me who pigged out. But, TJ didn't do too bad either, having a salad, a main course & 2 desserts. I had mac & cheese plus mashed taters, all covered with lots of nacho cheese, baked fish, fried fish, & cornbread. Then for dessert, I had vanilla soft serve ice cream, followed by chocolate ss, followed by more vanilla, followed by vanillia/chocolate ss mixed. Hey, I LOVE GC soft serve ice cream ! What can I say ?

Anyhow, I've been blessed with a GREAT wife, for 40 years !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H-O Decal & TJ @ Green Valley '77 .jpg
Views:	515
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	492596   Click image for larger version

Name:	TJ.JPG
Views:	540
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	492597   Click image for larger version

Name:	TJ's '68 .JPG
Views:	483
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	492598  

Last edited by ponyakr; 09-11-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats to you both!
PS- I LOVE that SS ice cream too. I usually eat light at GC just so I can eat three or four bowls of that stuff with lots of nuts and some of that hot caramel topping.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, on the days we go to GC, I don't eat breakfast or supper. Just eat one meal that day. But it's a big'un.

Some people say that when they eat too much they are miserable. Not me. It makes me feel good, and a little drowsy. Makes for a great late afternoon nap.

I suppose that to some people, eating a big meal is sorta like taking a mild drug which makes you feel good. So, I suppose my drug-of-choice is a good all-you-can-eat buffet, with plenty of good soft serve ice cream.

Some might say: What does this post have to do with your Pontiac story ? Absolutely nothing. But, to continue my story, today I'm gonna continue workin on my '80 Bird. Right now it has a 305/TH350, and is mostly street legal. I'm gonna put my 455/TH400 in it & make a slow bracket race car out of it, without completely stripping it down, UNLESS somebody wants to buy the whole car. Will sell, as is, for $5k & buy something else for my bracket project.

Gonna leave the 305 in it for a while, so I can crank it for potential buyers. Will try to sell engine/trans, to buy a few race parts.

Also have a some other stuff I'll try to sell. One item is an almost new Ruger SR 22 pistol. Can't sell across state lines. But, if any of you guys are interested & can come to North LA to pick it up, I'm asking only $300 for it, with 6 magazines. Just bought it in Feb, to practice for & take my concealed carry test with. Has probably fired less than 300 rounds. Fired at least 4 different brands of ammo. Hasn't missed a beat. Just checked online prices. Best in-stock price I could find is a little over $300 shipped, plus at least a $25 FFL fee, plus the cost of the 4 extra magazines. So, would cost around $400 to buy all new, online, and quite a bit higher if you buy from a local retailer.

https://grabagun.com/ruger-sr22-pist...5-bl-as-1.html

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+1+22LR+3.5%22

https://grabagun.com/ruger-mag-sr22-...alue-pack.html

Here I am, kickin up a little dust, in the front yard. The posi works. Chewed up the grass with both tires.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spinning tires.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	492698   Click image for larger version

Name:	both wheels spin.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	492699  

Last edited by ponyakr; 09-12-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

TJ ran across this pic, while lookin for another. It shows a few of the Pontiacs that were parked beside our trailer house. During the late '70's & '80's there was a Pontiac of some sort on almost all available space, around our house & shop. And some were across the fence, out in the field. Gonna go thru our old pics & see what else I can find.

Back then, I didn't think you could have too many Pontiacs !

My favorite dog was on the steps in this pic. His name was Roscoe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Barnyard Pontiacs .jpg
Views:	491
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	492703  

Old 11-19-2018, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yesterday my trans guy, who is a long time Pontiac racer, posted some pics which were from the 1983 drag racing season, at our local drag strip. 2 of the cars were mine. One was the Firebird Esprit, which my friend "Cotton" drove. Fixed it back up for TJ to drive in '86-'87.

The other is the only '67 GTO I remember ever having. Raced it a little in '79, in it's original gold color. This pic is the only one I'm aware of with black paint. It was a tiny pic, and is very fuzzy when enlarged. But, ya'll can tell what it was.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My '67 GTO .jpg
Views:	504
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	498284   Click image for larger version

Name:	'67 GTO in '83 .jpg
Views:	487
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	498285  

Old 03-21-2019, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Still workin on my '80 bracket Bird project. TJ bought me some new slicks for my birthday. Again I'll have to say what a GREAT wife I have !!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Slicks .jpg
Views:	453
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	508486   Click image for larger version

Name:	28-10-15 .jpg
Views:	474
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	508487  

Old 02-16-2020, 03:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, haven't posted on this thread for a while. Had a few setbacks on the '80 Bracket Bird project. But, still hope to get it to the track some time this year.

Anyhow, I got an Email notice that I could pull up old newspaper articles this whole weekend, for free. So, I pulled up the drag races that took place on the front stretch of the circle track at the Louisiana State Fair Grounds, in the Spring of 1978.

It was a VERY unique drag racing facility. Far different from any others we raced at. Saw it posted that the total distance of the races was 420 feet. But, in dial-your-own bracket racing, the distance don't matter. Still have to cut good lights & run consistent ET's, to win.

Anyhow, the 1st pic below is the point standings, after only a couple of races. TJ already had a win there. I hadn't scored, yet. There was not a big turnout there. The promoter tried a last ditch effort, to make some money at that track, by advertising a big 18-wheeler race. Put it in all the area papers, and probably some truck stops & trucking papers. I think is was supposed to pay $2000 to the winner, IF there were 400 trucks entered. Well, it was a big flop. I think a few trucks showed up. TJ & I are real fuzzy on that truck race. Anyhow, after that, the guy gave up on racing at that track.

I am real sorry that we did not take a single pic at any of those races. Contacted a few that were there, but haven't found anybody with a single pic. Those were just some real special races, that I wish we had pics of. I suppose we were the only group that ever did any organized drag racing on that circle track, after it was paved. I did read where they had some drags there, back when it was still a dirt track.

The 2nd pic is of the early point standings at another track, which the same guy ran. I had already had some wins there.

The next 2 pics, I'm sure I've already posted. But, they are the final points standing for the year. One thing about the Haynesville track, is that we didn't go to all the races there. Sometimes, we stopped at the Hallsville, TX track instead. Anyhow, we went to the div 4 bracket finals race that year, from the Haynesville track.

And, as I'm sure I mentioned, somewhere back in this thread, we decided to leave the finals race, because of so many cars, so few time trials, & not being use to running that track. Came back the the track in Tyler, TX, & got winner & RU. That was MUCH more fun than staying at the Green Valley race would have been !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shreveport.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	532084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Haynesville.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	532085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shreveport pts standings 1978.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	532086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Haynesville pts standings-1978.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	532087   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO With Haynesville .jpg
Views:	409
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	532088  

Old 02-16-2020, 04:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Need to add 2 more things. May have already posted this. The 1st pic below shows what TJ entered into our racing scrapbook. It's about the !8-Wheeler drags. Seems it was a 2 day race.

She won S/P at the nite race, & I won Pro, at the day race. A local radio station was at the race & TJ got an interview.

Also looked back at a couple of posts & saw that I'd mentioned my favorite dog, Roscoe P. Gravytrain, then failed to post his pic. So, in honor of Roscoe, I'll post it here.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...&postcount=585

By the time this pic was taken, he'd been in lots of dog fights. You'll notice that his right ear hangs down. It was split in a fight when several other dogs jumped on him. I think that was his worst battle scar from that fight. He got the upper hand in all the fights I ever saw him in. I never saw him actually start a fight. But, also never saw him back down from a fight. The other dog, or dogs, usually left soon after the fight started, once they realized that Roscoe was not a lightweight.

He was just a real cool dog, & a real good trail riding dog for TJ. He'd always protect our other dogs, and would keep other dogs away from TJ's horse, on trail rides. I suppose he was sort of a macho hero dog. Not mean at all, but perfectly capable of more than holding his own, should a fight be required. We've had lots of other dogs, that we liked. But this one was just real special.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	18 Wheel Last Race Radio .jpg
Views:	416
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	532089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roscoe .jpg
Views:	421
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	532090  

Old 04-14-2020, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Finally !

Where we come from, here in North Louisiana, we have not been able to buy a single roll of TP, in nearly 2 months.

But today, as we pulled in to our local Dollar General store, the lady was just putting out some Charmin. Just the type TJ likes.

I think nowadays I can say that TJ actually LOVES Charmin. She hugged it, squeezed it, & even kissed it.

It's real weird when the highlight of your day is finding some TP to buy. This is a really strange period of time, in this country.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hugging Charmin.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	537342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Squeeze it .jpg
Views:	520
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	537343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kiss it .jpg
Views:	548
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	537344  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ponyakr For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2020, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My gold 63 GP was in a Charmin TV commercial.Mr Whipple driving off with a trunk load of Charmin.Tom

Old 04-15-2020, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats!
She might want to disinfect that before kissing it. Yeah, crazy but you have to be aware. I've actually been keeping things like that on my screened back porch for a day or so before bringing them in. They say that the virus can live on plastic for a few days but heat and sunlight will kill it. Something to think about.

Old 11-26-2020, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 50th Anniversary !

No, TJ & I have not been married 50 years.

I'm almost positive I've mentioned this event in this thread. But I'm not gonna do a search to find it. And I'm almost positive nobody else will either. So, here's the story again. I think of this EVERY Thanksgiving.

At the beginning of Thanksgiving day of 1970, I was out in the bush, on Peason Ridge, near Fort Polk, in Louisiana.

https://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/page/peason-ridge

The reason I was there was because I was in Army infantry AIT(Advanced Individual Training). Although I was in the National Guard, our unit was infantry. Most NG units did not go to Viet Nam. But some did. Thankfully, our unit did not go.

https://www.npr.org/2015/04/25/40204...th%20Battalion.

We later did some riot control training. There were so many protests & riots caused by the Viet Nam war, NG's were sometimes called in.

Anyhow, back to Peason Ridge. IIRC, at aprox 3 am, those of us who were asleep were awakened & had to roll out of our warm sleeping bags. Someone said the temp was down in the 20's. I believe it. Hey ya'll, that's cold for that part of the country on Thanksgiving day. I think it only hit 40 or a little above last night & not supposed to get below 50 tonight. The average low temp for this day is probably in the mid 40's, here, and probably a few degrees higher on Peason Ridge.

Anyhow, the reason we got up so early is that we were to move to another location & be in position to attack a mock Viet Nam village, at daylight. I was told that the village looked quite real, & included several tunnels, from which mock enemy soldiers would pop up & begin shooting.

After this attack, and a few other things, we finally got on the trucks & went back to Fort Polk. After noon, they finally gave us a few hours off. But, our company commander would not let us leave the base.

They would, however, allow friends/family members to come on base for a visit. Well, TJ & I had been dating for nearly 3 years. My '69 RA3 GTO was aprox 1.5 years old. So, I had her go to my parents house, get the keys & drive down to Fort Polk for a Thanksgiving visit.

Another guy from our hometown was in with me. So, TJ picked up his girlfriend & the 2 of them came to see us, at Fort Polk. We couldn't leave the base. So we just drove out to a wooded area & had a picnic. The girls had bought plenty of picnic supplies.

I know it's hard for someone who has never been in a military situation, separated from their loved ones, to understand what a great feeling it is to be reunited, even if for just a few hours.

Hey, Fort Polk is only a little over 2 hours from home. I can only imagine what it's like to be reunited after being on active duty, many thousands of miles away. So, for ya'll who pray, please put in a little extra prayer time for all our military members who are far away from home, serving their country, doing something they'd really rather not be doing, in a place they'd rather not be.

God bless all our troops, wherever they might be !

And to all the veterans who are members here, THANKS for your service !

The Following User Says Thank You to ponyakr For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default The End (Maybe)

Well, since I sold my last bracket car, the '85 Safari wagon & some parts, are all the Pontiac stuff I have left.

So, I suppose my Pontiac story has pretty much come to an end. It's kind of sad.

BUT, I still have some great memories of the pleasures Pontiacs brought about in my life !

AND, as mentioned, if I win a BIG lottery jackpot, my Pontiac story will instantly be revived & continued !!!

AND, here's a big(to me) announcement. Several have asked me if my story was going to be put into book form. As mentioned, I had no intention of doing that.

BUT, out of nowhere, TJ told me that she was gonna edit this thread & organize it into some digital form, so that if this forum or this thread disappeared we'd still have the story.

And, when she gets thru, she's even gonna make a hard copy for us to keep.

Well, she's just about thru. So she prompted me to sorta add this post as an ending to the story.

THE END (Maybe)

Old 07-30-2021, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hello - this is TJ speaking

Where has the time gone? Don and I will have been married 43 years this Sept. 9, 2021. But our lives have actually been interwoven since 1967 - that’s 54 years! They’ve been good ones - most of which involved Pontiacs of some kind.

All of the events related here and the info gathered are no exaggeration. They were recorded from our collective memories, with the help of lots of documentation from our racing scrapbooks and photo albums. I was there (for all but a very few instances) and witnessed it all myself.

What a trip it has been. Through the years we’ve had “ ‘Birds,” “Goats,” horses, cats, dogs and friends that we’ve seen come and go. But we’ll always have our memories - and our scrapbooks if our memories get a little fuzzy, we can look it up!

These last few years were filled more with good intentions of racing than actually racing. Things just don’t always turn out like you hope they will.

The last bracket car Don was building in his new Speed Barn 3 shop just wouldn’t cooperate and, as time passed, so did his enthusiasm for working on it. Finally, the bittersweet decision was made to sell it and the last ‘Bird left the Speed Barn 3 nest in May, 2021.

So, what does he spend his time doing, now that he’s not wrenching on a race project?

He’s become my ace yard man, keeping our 20 acres (the T-whinny Acres) mowed, trimmed and bush hogged.

We’ve been so blessed to enjoy our lives that God has so richly granted us. Through many good times and only a few not-so-good times He has kept us; even through the Covid-19 pandemic, unscathed.

We’re both lots older now, and hopefully wiser. But this is where he (we) came from.

Last edited by ponyakr; 07-30-2021 at 05:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ponyakr For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

AMEN !

Old 08-16-2021, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Notice !

Earlier in the thread, some asked me if I planned to put all this into book form. As I said, I had absolutely NO intention of making a book out of it.

BUT, TJ didn't say that. About a year ago, she decided that she wanted to somehow record this thread, in case the thread, or the entire forum disappears.

Well, it took her an entire year to do it, but she has now completed her project. She has almost everything in the entire thread, plus a few of her comments, in PDF form, which can be downloaded.

It was an enormous undertaking. Since somebody mentioned that they'd buy a copy of a book, we've decided to make this PDF available to anyone who wants it, for $20 each. TJ will get all the proceeds, which will probably only pay her a few cents per hour.

For those interested, just send me $20, cash, check, or m.o., plus your Email address to:

Don Hurst
256 Hurst Rd
Jonesboro, LA

If you'd like, you can send an Email to my Email address, to make sure I get your Email address correct.

speedbarn455@gmail.com

After payment is received, TJ will send the PDF link to your Email.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default TJ's Book Cover

Here's the cover TJ made for her compilation of my "Where I Came From" Pontiac story thread.

As you can see, she named it "The Life & Times of a Pontiac Freak". (Although, I always spell it "Freek")
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TJ's Book Cover .jpg
Views:	145
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	571763  

Old 08-30-2021, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting thread, never peeked before. Will endeavor to read the prior pages. I am at a similar point in my life journey. I have bought acreage and a house in very rural mountain environment in New Mexico to migrate to living at. Although I am in Montana now, my car is in a town environment. New land, not so. So I am at the tough point of how a Pontiac fits (or not) in a new rural environment, no vintage cars around, no mechanics, no hobby support, etc. My jouney with Poncho's may be evolving as yours did. I want to frame it like you did, with a positive forward attitude, and be happy with memories, if this is the outcome. (Looking more and more like it is, but I have time to ponder). Thanks for thread.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Good Luck !

Good luck with whatever decision you decide to make.

My decision was pretty much made FOR me.

It was strictly dictated by finances. I spent all I made(and sometimes more) on racing. Didn't save anything. So, now my income is my little monthly SS money. That all goes into the household budget. Finally dawned on me that I can't afford a Pontiac hobby, or any hobby that costs anything. Cold reality.

BUT, if I win a million or more Powerball money, my Pontiac hobby will be instantly revived & upgraded, tremendously !

Hey, it's fun to think about ! I can see a brand new & really nice race car hauling rig, as well as at least 2 nice Pontiac powered drag cars, one just for bracket racing, the other for Stock & bracket duty.

Will also buy at least one(probably more) street only car. First one will probably be a 4-speed '65 GTO. I'll make "loops" around our little country town, like in the old days, and drive to area car shows & cruise-ins.

Will do some bracket racing at my closest tracks, in Monroe LA & Prescott Ark. Will also try to run my Stocker at the Texas Motorplex & No Problem Raceway in South LA.

Hey, at this point, just thinkin about what I'd do, if I had the money, is exciting, to me !