Old 03-23-2020, 04:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Exhaust Manifolds for '67 Firebird

I'm considering getting rid of headers on my '67 bird and have been trying to figure out which manifolds work. I thought about RARE, but they only list the longbranch as fitting first gen.'s. and by the time you pay for those plus oil filter adapter, downpipe clamp, etc... the cost is more than a set of ceramic Doug's headers. I'm looking for a less expensive option for a mild build similar to a RA-III.

Are there any other stock manifolds out of other years or bodies that will work?

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 03-23-2020, 04:12 PM
Senior Chief

Yes they are expensive. But I can tell you the Long Branches work real well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-23-2020, 04:16 PM

Consider yourself lucky that your cars chassis will accept the better flowing long-branch style rather than the A-body and 2nd-gen F-body style manifolds that are okay but still inferior to the long-branch manifolds.

With that said, the A-body style will almost assuredly interfere with the steering box among other things.

Unfortunately there are no cheaper alternatives to the long-branch manifolds and the associated hardware that goes along with them, but they last forever compared to headers and their resale value can’t be beat.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First Id consider the PURPOSE BUILD of the '67 Bird.
The car may be able to get by with a pair of mandrel bent drops off standard set of manifolds. '67 F-body manifolds are the exact same as common '67 B series manifolds. Longbranch cast iron manifolds are very heavy & unless the engine is putting out well above stock torque/hp levels, the improved flow of the mandrel bent drops & a free flowing muffler(s) should help considerably.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Standard / Stock manifolds will work fine.
Thats what your car would have came with - unless it is a factory 67 RamAir car.

If you're going after 450-500 hp , they wouldn't be a good choice.

otherwise 1965-1970 fullsize and GP
and 67-69 Fbird manifolds will fit your car

You should be able to get a pair for $0-$100

Old 03-28-2020, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Standard / Stock manifolds will work fine.
Thats what your car would have came with - unless it is a factory 67 RamAir car.

If you're going after 450-500 hp , they wouldn't be a good choice.

otherwise 1965-1970 fullsize and GP
and 67-69 Fbird manifolds will fit your car

You should be able to get a pair for $0-$100
Agree with the above. Poker aint free, so if you're going to go for the factory manifolds, your only choice is to pay for the long branch or just use stock 400 manifolds. The 69/70 GTO manifolds were generic and they came with RAIII engines. I have 2 69's and one will have the long branch I bought and the other will have the crappy old headers that it came with. If I ever change the entire exhaust I may change the headers, but they work.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So I dropped the engine in the car this week and started bolting up the headers today. Driver's side, which usually hits the gear box, went in fine.
The passenger side wouldn't go in without dropping the oil filter. (Both had to go in from the bottom.) As I'm trying to get the bolts started on the passenger, I run into this.

It needs to kick out more because the header flange still has a 3/8" gap at the top so no way these headers are going to work. F@#K!!!
BTW, they are Hooker Super Comps I picked up 30 years ago that have never been run other than break in on this engine. They were "supposed" to be for a first gen Firebird, but I think someone lied.

I was fed up enough to buy the RARE long branch manifolds....... until I put everything in the cart and saw the total.
Pushing $1000 for everything needed??? NOPE! Not gonna happen.

I'm ready to get this car back on the road!

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 04-08-2020, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is odd
Because actually - the Driver Side is the one that is so specific on an Early Bird.
The passenger side should practically work no matter what bodystyle Pontiac it was made for.

Maybe un-do the motor mounts and jack up the engine, and then try some more.
Headers usually always need tricking into place and some tweaks, hammer mods, etc
Good Luck !