Old 07-10-2020, 11:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Flashflood Send a message via MSN to Flashflood Send a message via Yahoo to Flashflood
Default Race or no race on outer bearing

I'm doing my front brakes. I'm having a little trouble with front bearings fitting. I thought the back bearing needed a race but I was wrong. Also quick question, are the map reading dome lights for these years near as bad for staying on and draining your battery like the stock ones?

Old 07-10-2020, 02:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Back bearing needs a race. This should help.

As far as dome lights go, I cant help ya - but I do know for good panel alignment, I've moved my doors so far back, they doesn't always trip the switch to shut the light off. Check to make sure those are working properly.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
Old 07-10-2020, 04:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Tim66
Default Race

They both need a race.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All tapered roller front wheel bearings on GM cars, regardless if equipped with drum or disc brakes, and regardless if inner or outer, require an outer race to ride on. See 73LeMans exploded view graph.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Neither the map lamp or the standard lamp will stay on to drain the battery, unless there's something wrong with one of the dome jamb switches or wiring, or you turned them on at the headlight switch and forget to turn them off, or leave a door open, or partially open enough so the jamb switch doesn't turn it off. The map dome lamp uses basically the same bulb for the main lighting as the standard round dome lamp. The map lamp does have the 2 extra map reading lights, but they are turned on and off by manually controlled switches on the dome light itself. You just have to be sure to turn them off when you're finished using them.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to Flashflood Send a message via MSN to Flashflood Send a message via Yahoo to Flashflood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand73Am View Post
Neither the map lamp or the standard lamp will stay on to drain the battery, unless there's something wrong with one of the dome jamb switches or wiring, or you turned them on at the headlight switch and forget to turn them off, or leave a door open, or partially open enough so the jamb switch doesn't turn it off. The map dome lamp uses basically the same bulb for the main lighting as the standard round dome lamp. The map lamp does have the 2 extra map reading lights, but they are turned on and off by manually controlled switches on the dome light itself. You just have to be sure to turn them off when you're finished using them.
Okay, thank you. Just wondering cause both my dads 71 buick sport wagon and my 77 lemans have the standard round dome light and it drove me absolutely bonkers when I pulled my muiltmeter out and put it on my battery and realized that something was draining it. That something was a not closed door I have the fuse pulled out now so it won't affect me now just curious.