Old 04-01-2015, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Strike

I'm not to familiar with the strike that happened in late 64 (early 65 built)?

I'm I wrong that it was 30-40 days long in or around late Sept into Oct ?

So a car being built at this time frame would have been setting for about a month ???

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The national UAW strike against GM started with a walkout on the morning of Friday Sept. 25 1964, about a month after '65 production began and a couple days after the dealers were allowed to first begin selling the new models.

The dealers had plenty of stock on hand when the strike began, but I'm sure supplies had about dwindled to nothing as the strike dragged on.

The strike embarrassed LBJ right before the Pres election, he was not happy. He tried to pressure UAW Pres Reuther to get it settled quickly.

But many locals were unhappy, not in the mood for a quick settlement.

Finally, on Sunday Oct 25, the UAW announced ratification of a new agreement but left unsettled many local grievances, leaving it to the locals to go it alone on those issues.

Some plants returned to production quicker than others. Fremont voted to remain out, many there felt the national had sold them out.

I believe most plants returned to production on or about Nov 2 while some may have remained out til Nov 9. But records for individual plants are hard to find.

I believe that cars that were on the line when the strike began, whether at Fisher or the final line, remained partially built and "stuck" on the line until production resumed.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post

I believe that cars that were on the line when the strike began, whether at Fisher or the final line, remained partially built and "stuck" on the line until production resumed.
This is correct.

Cars that are close to being finished can sometimes be completed (by salaried employees) and expedited off property.

Builds that have not been started simply reside the queue in the order bank until the process fires back up.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 04-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default No "Oct. 1964" builds on this GTO.

It sounds like my 65 GTO was built right at this strike.

11A = First week of Nov. 1964 built at Baltimore MD

8-64-Aug. = Wiper Motor
8-8-64 = Master Cyl.
8-23-64 = Fan Clutch
8-24-64 = Distributor Tag.
8-27-64 = Power Antenna
9-14-64 = Cyl. Block
9-15-64 = Intake
9-11-64 = LH Cyl. Head
9-17-64 = RH Cyl. Head
9-64 = AFB Carb.
9-64 = Voltage Regulator
3rd Quarter of 64 = Plug Wires

The only item replaced was the Alternator.

So the fact everything (unless I missed something) was assembling in Aug. and Sept. to complete this car, and nothing built in Oct. why would it not have a different build date?

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually, I would assume the order for your car would have been among the first initiated when the strike ended.

Although we don't know the precise meaning of the Time Built code on the Data Plate, my "preferred" explanation is that Fisher Body was charged with producing a certain number of Body Assemblies for the "target" week so that the Final Line would have enough planned work.

Say that they needed 2000 builds for week 11A. Fisher Body would schedule 2000 orders for which they would build bodies in advance of, or perhaps during, the designated week 11A.

The bodies that were on the line when the plant was struck would have had Time Built codes of 9C or 9D I believe. Dozens of bodies with Sept Time Built codes would have been caught (or however many were in production within Fisher and on the Final Line at any given moment)

Since the strike stopped Fisher production, they would not have filled their order basket for 10A and beyond until the strike ended. So I would expect few if any builds with Oct. Time Built codes on the Data Plate. Depends on how far in advance Fisher was building the Body Assemblies at a given plant.

Fisher would have then returned to production most likely producing 11A bodies initially (possibly 10E date codes if Baltimore immediately went back into production after the strike was settled).

The reason for the date codes on the various components is more likely the fact that these parts ordinarily would have been used up at the end of Sept and early Oct.

But when the strike hit, none of those cars were being built, so the components simply sat in inventory until the line started back up.

Bottom line, I think your car would have had a Sept Time Built code had the Body Assembly already been completed when the strike began.

I suspect that even if it had only just gotten started within Fisher Body at the time of the strike (which started at 10 AM EST, so early during the 1st shift in Baltimore), most likely the Data Plate coding would have already been "set in stone", since the coding was just a regurgitation of what the paperwork showed.

So IMO, your order was not yet initiated when the strike hit.

But the component date coding is understandable even though the Body Assembly build didn't start until somewhere close to Nov. 1 give or take a few days and Final Assembly begun upon completion of the Body Assembly.

Obviously I wasn't there, but this is my best logical stab at how the build of your GTO unfolded.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Thank You!

Your "Logical stab" is much better than mine what have been!

Old 04-01-2015, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Even the wheels are 9-64

Forget that all four wheels are marked Kelsey-Hayes 14x6 JK 9-64
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel - KH 14x6 JK Dated 9-64 (1).jpg
Views:	137
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	394397  

Old 06-27-2020, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Important document

I acquired this old photo recently showing the “resumption” of the Pontiac, Michigan assemble line on the 26 Oct. 1964 after the GM strike.

I see no antenna and the hood is popped.

Priceless.

Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA083970-82DC-491E-AEC5-6AC00874280C.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	543558   Click image for larger version

Name:	4816A815-D388-48BF-A01F-570EB9652906.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	543559   Click image for larger version

Name:	3C0BD843-AD4D-4211-99B7-1DB7C8CAAB1C.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	543560   Click image for larger version

Name:	B8D4FE50-89A6-499A-B2A1-21684CC480DD.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	543561  

The Following User Says Thank You to 60sstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool, Chris. Surprising to me that the Pontiac line was running that quick after ratification just the day before. As I said in the old post, I thought it wasn't until the week following ratification that production resumed. I have an article about Fremont that said they stayed out even longer, unhappy with the settlement.

Can't really tell if that Lemans has a rear mounted power antenna from the pic but if not, pretty rare in my experience for a radio option to be omitted. Even more so for an upscale Lemans model as opposed to a basic Tempest model.

I think I may have seen that pic before or else I've seen pix of others with the popped hood at that point. I wonder what the reason was, maybe they still had a final peak under the hood to do before it was driven off to the storage lot?

These time capsule photos are always neat to see, Thanks for sharing it.

Old 06-27-2020, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No antenna front or rear means radio delete. Looking and seeing it doesn't even have a day/night rearview mirror, I'm betting that's the case.