Old 07-11-2020, 01:33 PM

Default Gauge cluster ID 71 Trans Am

Sending my Tach out to be rebuilt and want to know if its correct for 71. The catalog shows the 73-75 so I know there's a difference. Are the date coded?
Thanks for any help.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A '70-'71 tach would be one wire. It gets it ground and power from the printed circuit board. The needle is also almost flat and doesn't match the speedometer needle.

There is a manufacture date on a paper tag on the back of the tach but they commonly fall off after many years.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

70 and early 71 have a flat black clock adjust knob. I think there is a chart on this forum with the two digit codes for each cluster application. Example would be a big "CZ" on the paper tag on the side of the cluster body. Dates were ink stamped on the printed circuit.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
70 and early 71 have a flat black clock adjust knob. I think there is a chart on this forum with the two digit codes for each cluster application. Example would be a big "CZ" on the paper tag on the side of the cluster body. Dates were ink stamped on the printed circuit.
X-2. There's also an ink stamped date usually on the top of the cluster which I believe is the assembly day of the whole cluster.

Old 07-12-2020, 01:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

From my old 71 Trans Am, built the second week of February 1971 (02B) in the Norwood plant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4017.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	544796  

Old 07-12-2020, 03:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post
From my old 71 Trans Am, built the second week of February 1971 (02B) in the Norwood plant.
That's a well,preserved one! Nice.

Was there another sticker right next to this one? Looks like there's some adhesive there.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Todd, where are you sending your tach for repair/restore? My 1970 tach is not functioning and needs repair as well. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:14 AM

Well there's a nice clean area where the paper tag was but no tag or stamp. But after reading all the posts I think they are 71 gauges. Tach has the flat needle and single wire connector. Clock has the flat correct time adjustment. I will be sending the Tach to Auto Instruments this week. Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
The black knob carries thru 72 model year. 73 was the start of the chrome knob.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpoltzer View Post
Todd, where are you sending your tach for repair/restore? My 1970 tach is not functioning and needs repair as well. Thanks.

Auto instruments 1-276-647-5550

They did mine in 2011. Shipped it UPS to them + insurance, got it back, didn't work. called them. Shipped it back, got it back, worked fine. Don't know what happened the first time??? They didn't offer to pay for the extra shipping. My clock didn't work so they talked me into converting my clock to smooth movement. They fixed the tach & upgraded the clock. They did leave the tach needle faded though. Not trying to be difficult or be a gripe. The shipping and insurance was almost as much as the repair. Just hated to pay it twice. Wish they would have tested it better before it left them. I was happy to get it fixed. I still would recommend them. Not many people know how to fix this stuff anymore. Glad they are in business.

Pigeon Forge, Tn. Grand Rod Run Spring 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUIuGvWWthA

http://s223.photobucket.com/user/fas...d%20Run%202012

Son video'd this...
http://s223.photobucket.com/user/fas...a.mp4.html?o=0
Old 07-13-2020, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mullin View Post
Well there's a nice clean area where the paper tag was but no tag or stamp. But after reading all the posts I think they are 71 gauges. Tach has the flat needle and single wire connector. Clock has the flat correct time adjustment. I will be sending the Tach to Auto Instruments this week. Thanks for everyone's help.
So, there were no ink stampings on the tach mounting plate? I believe the '71 had a foil tape backing on the tach back.