Old 06-14-2020, 07:24 AM

Default 1966 Bonneville fuel tank?

Hi all,
I'm looking for a fuel tank for the Bonneville but I am In Canada. No Canadian vendor I have called has them or makes them.
Now, I know several from the US that do have them, however they're asking for about 600Usd just to ship to Canada. Not including the cost of the tank.

I am just wondering if there is any other tank that would fit or work??

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-14-2020, 09:25 AM
Suspended

How about having the original coated?

Old 06-14-2020, 10:30 AM

That's what I was thinking. But how good are the coatings? (The tank leaks).

Old 06-14-2020, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As close as you are to Buffalo, couldn't you drive/trailer the car to a shop in Buffalo, and have a tank installed in it? No duty hassle going back if you don't have a tank by itself.

Just a thought, maybe it wouldn't work for you?...........

The coatings are as good as the person installing them, the labor/experience is the main ingredient, the coatings have been around quite awhile so they're perfected.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-14-2020, 12:42 PM
Senior Chief

Have you thought about having the gas tank repaired? You said it leaks, but I had a small hole in my original tank in my '64 GP which I had repaired. I found a small repair shop locally which also repairs radiators. They welded the hole in the tank to close it, and then I used a gas tank sealing kit that cleaned and sealed the tank from the inside. I've also heard of people repairing small holes in gas tanks with special epoxy kits. After I had my tank welded, I had the tank powder coated in silver (I did this before I sealed the inside), and it completely obscured the weld repair...it looks like a new gas tank from the outside.

I think between the weld repair, the powder coating and the sealing kit cost, I spent about $250 (US). This was before my gas tank was repop'd so I didn't have the option, but doing that may be way cheaper than spending several hundred dollars to replace your tank.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:46 PM

Yes. Actually. It's a radiator shop as well and local and has good reviews. I may just leave the tank with him. I was just worried about the coatings and repairs.
Didnt know if I should fully trust gas tank repairs versus just buying a new one. So I may do that.

The only thing I would need though and cant seem to find online for some reason? The new fuel tank straps? Any ideas on who has them?

Old 06-14-2020, 06:04 PM
Senior Chief

I was able to take my old gas tank straps and have them media blasted and powder coated. As good as new. I also bought the rubber pieces for isolation and bought new hardware for the straps. I believe our Host sells reproduction gas tank straps and hardware, but if not, I've seen them sold elsewhere online.