Old 06-19-2020, 04:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Glass date coding

Would date codes on glass be the same all the glass on the car. I am replacing my glass and having it stamped with the dates codes. Trying to decide if all the dates would have been the same or not. My build date is 12B of 1964 and my scratched glass has 1 glass dated August, 4 glass September, 1 October and 2 November. The car been restored so I don't know if during the restoration the shop sourced out these dates or if it is my original glass. I was told by Auto City Classic that glass would normally be about 3 months prior to the build date of the car. He said most people have all the glass dated the same month, but to me that seemed unreasonable that the line worker would be able to grab glass with all the same date codes. I know most people would probably think this is over the top and to much thought would be needed, but I am trying to make it as correct as possible.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have not really paid attention to my glass codes until I decided to replace the glass, but all the codes are on the inside of the glass and read from the inside. Was that common for 65 and did it carry through to later years as well?

Old 06-19-2020, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Different date codes like you have is entirely possible. When those parts are made, shipped and warehoused, they didn't and still don't necessarily rotate the stock in the warehouse. Sometimes a rack can sit in the corner for months, especially if there is one that is easier to get to. And that possibility exists at the mfg plant, boxcars, and assembly plant.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've even owned original cars with LOF glass on one window and PPG on another.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT