Old 06-24-2020, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower View Post
I don't have an overflow tank. Never did. Don't want one. Talking about a 64 here, they never had an overflow tank nor a recovery system.
Gotcha...the good 'ol days...well you could still use the rad cap to keep the mess going down to the bottom of the radiator.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 06-25-2020, 02:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mystery solved! When I put a straightedge across the radiator neck opening I found that one tiny corner of the rim was bent up at the corner of one of the slots cut to accept the tabs on the cap which hold the cap on the neck. See the attached picture, the pencil is pointing at the spot where the brass was turned up just a little bit. This raised portion held the metal seal in the top of the cap up off the rim of the neck thus allowing overflow coolant to escape from under the cap instead of going out the overflow tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03515.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	543307  

Old 06-25-2020, 03:14 PM
Boost Engineer

Glad you identified the issue. Drive safe.
Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So often it is the silly little things that cause issues and they are just not obvious at first. But it was a quick simple solution with small hammer and a few light taps!

Old 06-25-2020, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always like fixes that involve a hammer.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice work Rich. You must be good with a hammer. Usually when I decide to bring out the hammer for a repair, something valuable winds up broken.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Nice work Rich. You must be good with a hammer. Usually when I decide to bring out the hammer for a repair, something valuable winds up broken.
Well, I wasn't exactly swinging it like John Henry! And it was a little 10oz ball peen hammer I got somewhere among Dad's old tools.