Old 06-23-2020, 07:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default keeping aluminum transmission looking good

How do you make a 4 spd aluminum housing look new and then keep it looking new?

Old 06-23-2020, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Either glass bead it and clear coat it, or paint it cast alumunum silver. I would much rather bead and clear, but ended up painting my automatic. Just couldn't get it to look new and get rid of all of the black staining .You'd never know it if i didn't point it out. I used the Seymour cast paint.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:01 AM

Default Looking Good

Hello, Try the product "Sharkhide Metal Protectant". I have used this product on transmissions, intake manifolds, suspension parts and various other parts exposed to the elements. I have several friends who also use it on auto and marine restorations with great and lasting results.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

you could polish it, but that's a little anal...lol

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 11-26-2020, 07:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Aluminum paint

Krylon used to make a spray paint (rattle can) called: 'Dull Aluminum'. Had a nice finish that didn't rub off on your hand. Don't know if they still make it, though.

Old 11-26-2020, 10:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Keeping aluminum transmission

Krylon Dull Aluminum is still available. I second what Cardo suggested with the following additional comments: after you glass bead the case, side cover, tail extension, etc. spray them all with aluminum wheel cleaner, then hose them off thoroughly and blow them dry. I wait until the trans is reassembled to clear coat it. Even with the clear coat the surfaces are often pretty rough so grime easily attaches to surfaces so you have to not let it get too far gone so heavy duty cleaning products/processes are not needed.

Old 11-27-2020, 12:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I also agree with Cardo. Did mine that way in 1990. Every spring I wipe it down with some brand of metal prep in a rattle can. Still looks great.

"Bill"!

Old 12-15-2020, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Two options: Have it bead blasted and clearcoat with Sharkhide or paint it with Duplicolor Cast Aluminum or Rustoleum Stainless Steel Paint (slightly deeper color but works great). After the color is dry, mist it with Duplicolor Metal Specs silver. The metal specs add a metallic highlight like you get from freshly bead blasted aluminum (like a brand new Edelbrock intake manifold). The aluminum part looks more authentic rather than just painted dull silver.

Here's my intake painted this way:

Old 12-15-2020, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NAPA sells a product called aluminum brightener. I've used it on motorcycle engine cases and it worked well to remove dirt, grease and stains. Spray it on, scrub with a brush and rinse with water. It is an acid so you need to take precautions and wear PPE. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MCR1458

Old 12-16-2020, 01:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

NeighborsComplaint - I agree your manifols looks like fresh aluminum.