Old 07-11-2020, 02:54 AM
Senior Chief

Default Mecum Indy this weekend

I did start a thread elsewhere to get some advice or comments ,but there is a few special full size cars this weekend, GP nuts must look, I love the 2+2 and Bonneville, please comment , as I need to get to the opinions to be educated for my dream trip to the country of Pontiac..
John L.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Old 07-11-2020, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope I looked at the cars you wanted a few comments on. I saw a 65 2+2 in a rather odd green/gray metallic color? It reminded me of a factory 67 color I can't remember the name. I had a 67 Ventura that was similar. That looked like a pretty nice car in general to me. No glaring problems unless I missed something. Fit, chrome and body looked good. Low option car, base engine, no AC, kind of plain. Color is love or hate. Those type exterior colors probably cost the seller 3-4K vs red or other popular color. Nice car. White Grand Prix. That was a bit of a weird one to me. Someone went a little crazy with the gold spray bomb under the hood. The weird aftermarket AC system looked completely out of place in the car to me with the Chinese compressor kind of hanging there in mid air. The car had a factory AC dash pad put in a non-AC car at some point. It just had the look of a highly worked over car to me. Many people probably could care a less, but it left me cold. Couple more items on the Grand Prix. It is presented as a 421 Tri-power car but has a 389 engine in it. The underhood 421 emblem is incorrect. it is mounted in the wrong place and is too big. It is actually a front lower fender 421 emblem used on a Catalina. So again, I think this car is made up from a pile of donor cars. Hard to say what it really is and how it came from the factory without PHS. Looks like a 20K car to me. The black 66 Bonneville convertible may be a nice car but no one will ever really know. Not a single picture of the engine compartment, trunk interior or underside of the car. So we get to basically see 1/2 of the car. Based on 50% information, it looked like a really nice car. Love the real leather interior in the Bonneville convertibles. More pics that actually matter would have really helped. If you do make a trip to the US to buy an auction car, I would be happy to go with you look at the cars. Indy is only a 90 minute drive for me. I know you love these 65-66 big cars and I would like you to end up with one you would really be happy with.

Last edited by mgarblik; 07-11-2020 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just saw a black 64 GP, 4 sp, tri power, looked pretty nice. No sale @ 42k.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 07-12-2020, 01:05 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks mgarblik , I was hoping you would spot this thread,
Your offer to help will be greatly appreciated, I know your love and expertise on the 65/66 full size cars..
With the covid virus this has put everything on hold, hopefully next year..
I will base myself and wife in Evansville Indy..
Maybe this is your direction?
My wife has a sister living there and I will be able to go out and do the car thing.
I will stay in touch,
Regards
John L.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Just saw a black 64 GP, 4 sp, tri power, looked pretty nice. No sale @ 42k.
I saw that one go late yesterday. It did look nice in the auction setting. Supposed to be a number matching original 421 HO stick car. In today's market, I thought 50K was the very top dollar. 42K seemed about right. If the seller needed to sell, he probably should have taken it. You never know what they are thinking. 5 years ago, it may have been a 75K car. Not anymore.

Does anyone happen to know what the three cars I mentioned in my post actually went through for? Always curious. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Senior Chief

I know the '64 GP 389 tri-power with the four speed went for $45,100. Funny that the 421 car only bid to $42k and then stopped.

Old 07-18-2020, 07:31 PM
Senior Chief

Does anyone happen to know what the three cars I mentioned in my post actually went through for? Always curious. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The 65 2+2 sold for $44,
The 66 Bonneville vert 421 one owner car , $42,900
The 64 gp tri power, one owner $41,800
JL