Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-31-2023, 08:52 AM

Default Order of operations

I have a 69 Fierbird that belonged to my father in law. He bought it new. It runs and drives. Many mistakes were made over the years but it's still a pretty solid numbers matching car. At some point soon it will need some attention or things are going to go south.

From an order of operations stand point this is my plan. Just looking for feedback.

1. Make it safe. Any suspension or brake issues will be resolved. Just did a front disc conversion.

2. Make it run. The engine starts well and runs better than it should somehow, but is desperate for a rebuild. I'm going to hold off until I can afford to do it right. Full deal. Including upgrades with goal of 325hp.

3. Others... gas tank need replacing. Headliner is falling off.

4. Make it better... add dual exhaust. Add posi. Consider rear end gearing options.

5. Make it pretty. No idea where to start... needs a lot. It ain't the worst... it ain't the best.

Old 03-31-2023, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a neat car. Sounds like you have a good plan. Post some pics!

Old 03-31-2023, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talk more about number 2 runs well but desperate for a rebuild?

Old 03-31-2023, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Sounds like a solid plan. I would move the fuel tank up to the "Make it Safe" or "Makit it Run" operation. It's a fairly critical component from a reliability standpoint.

I'm assuming this is a 350 car? Any pictures?

Old 03-31-2023, 11:03 AM

Unless money is no object, the accountant in me says define the project's scope and make a budget. Good luck. Sounds like fun.

Old 03-31-2023, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fowke View Post
Unless money is no object, the accountant in me says define the project's scope and make a budget. Good luck. Sounds like fun.
Then triple it.

Old 03-31-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
Talk more about number 2 runs well but desperate for a rebuild?
Starts awesome. Leaks everything from multiple places. Stinks like gas. Things are better since I got the big holes in the trunk sealed and adjusted the carb but..

Its a 350 auto w 2bbl carb and single exhaust. One wheel burner with grocery getter gears.

Old 03-31-2023, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it starts and runs pretty well, you may find that it doesn't necessarily need a full rebuild as much as it likely just needs new gaskets throughout. If it's a rear main leaking, that may necessitate taking the engine apart, but you might find you can save some funds there if it's an issue.

Your 325 hp goal should be very attainable. A mild cam upgrade with a 4bbl intake/carb and exhaust work may get you pretty close actually. Your idea of a slightly more performance oriented rear gear with a posi will help wake it up a bit more as well.

Sounds like it's going to be a fun little project!

Old 04-01-2023, 11:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would also put in there make it weather proof. If you have to parked it out side you don't need water leaking in causing more issues. Any gas leaks are a priority to fix. Once it steers, stops and starts up. Then fine tune each system. Ignition and carb tuning is the biggest checking for an air / vac leaks.