THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-25-2021, 03:34 PM

Default Only one on the block...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...ded/1586939305

Old 09-25-2021, 03:46 PM
Senior Chief

It's a bit of a Frankenstein but it's not the worst one around I think..

Old 09-25-2021, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only thing I see that is "Pontiac" is the dash face and carrier and the VIN number. The rest looks Camaro including the running gear. So if you want a Camaro with a nicer dashboard, this car night be for you. Or you can just buy a Camaro, which would probably be easier. Just not sure what the owner was going for here. Bought a Firebird by mistake?

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The main body character line along the side is higher on a Camaro than a Firebird. it appears the builder mounted Camaro doors on this car so it would match the fenders, and the front portion of the quarters match up to the Camaro doors. But the backside of the quarter behind the rear wheel is still Firebird. Check how much lower the character line behind the rear wheel is, than it is in front.

I wonder if the builder knew this when he started the project, or got a big surprise at some point...

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith k For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 08:18 AM
Senior Chief

Ever notice that everything SBC these days is a "383 stroker" or "383 storker" (my favorite, and which almost implies some sort of ornithological connection or baby delivery propulsion device.)

Back before that was popular, everything was a "400 Small Block!".

While it may well be with this car, I so often see the BS Snowball rolling downhill, where every hilljack says his pontiac is a "Big Block 400", every chevy is a "383 Stroker", every olds has a "350 GOLD Rocket, not one of the normal ones", Every 302 is a 347. And so on.

Great example: I built an engine for my neighbors 79 cutlass. Pretty decent 461 olds, we ran a 200 shot thru it regularly. For a full weight street car with 3.55s, it was a bear. It gets sold 3-5 times. I see the ads every time. It somehow festers an eagle crank, h-beam rods, flattops, roller cam, etc with each ensuing ad, the BS got deeper.

Another friend of mine eventually ends up with it on the cheap, blown head gasket. He tears it down, not a damn thing was changed over the 10 years, except the BS surrounding it.

I'd love to see a TV reality show where you buy the car as advertised, tear it apart, and then go back to the seller and catch them on their BS. Two choices for the seller: Refund the selling price plus 50%, or we take away all of the tools and parts in your possession.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

70-73 Camaro or Firebird F & R with big window is like 5 demerits.
70-73 with dual brand personality parts mix is about 8 demerits.
Building something with an tiny niche resell market is guaranteed 15 demerits.

So it is a 28 demerit car. Unless it's your particular dream ride. Then +28 points.

Old 09-27-2021, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wonder if it still has Firebird tail lights?

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 09-27-2021, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
The main body character line along the side is higher on a Camaro than a Firebird. it appears the builder mounted Camaro doors on this car so it would match the fenders, and the front portion of the quarters match up to the Camaro doors. But the backside of the quarter behind the rear wheel is still Firebird. Check how much lower the character line behind the rear wheel is, than it is in front.

I wonder if the builder knew this when he started the project, or got a big surprise at some point...
I never knew that about the body lines, til now. It's pretty obvious in that side shot. The Camaro has obviously sharper/harder creases along that character line, just above the rocker panels, and at the top of the rear quarters, but I didn't realize it was in a different place, too.