Old 03-15-2018, 03:54 PM

Default 67 GP Ash tray Light Bulb

How do you replace the light bulb for the ash tray? Is there a low profile bulb for the ash tray?

Old 03-15-2018, 04:53 PM
Senior Chief

Post Fibre optic

If memory serves me correct the light is supplied by two fiber optic strands that are attached to the light clipped on the ignition switch, the bulb is serviceable. Cool first use of fiber optics. I think I have an extra astray bracket in the barn somewhere if the optics on yours is bad.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:49 PM

Steve,

Mine doesn't have any fiber optics. It has a bulb socket in the top of the ash tray frame. The socket takes a bayonet bulb (1159 fits), but I can't insert the ash tray when a bulb is in the socket. I figure that the bulb socket must be the source of power for whatever illuminates the ash tray. Was there an optic strand that fits into the bulb socket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpFreak View Post
If memory serves me correct the light is supplied by two fiber optic strands that are attached to the light clipped on the ignition switch, the bulb is serviceable. Cool first use of fiber optics. I think I have an extra astray bracket in the barn somewhere if the optics on yours is bad.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:58 PM
Senior Chief

Not sure what you have. This is what I've always found on these. The ash tray bracket has the optics. I see a third leg on this and now that I think about it the bulb may be clipped to the lighter socket and the third leg goes to the ignition cylinder in the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	478189   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	478190   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	478191  

Old 03-15-2018, 07:03 PM
Senior Chief

These were never very bright and had a tendency to darken the fiber if you had a heavy smoker using the tray.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:10 PM

My ash tray bracket has two holes. The left hole has a bulb socket. I did find a flat LED with a bayonet base on EBay. I'll give that a try. Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpFreak View Post
Not sure what you have. This is what I've always found on these. The ash tray bracket has the optics. I see a third leg on this and now that I think about it the bulb may be clipped to the lighter socket and the third leg goes to the ignition cylinder in the dash.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ash tray lamp accessory wiring.

If it's the kind where there is a silver domed metal covering over top of the bulb socket or sockets, and one wire each to the socket. Those are the type where a #53 light bulb fits.

The domes each have a tiny slot or a pinhole(s) in the end of them to allow some light to filter out and reflect off of the inner edge of one of those clip on tangs.

1966 & 67 Lemans and GTOs had a similar light option. Here is a photo of an NOS GTO accessory light kit for '64 & 65 GTO that I found at a swap meet many years ago & sold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_64_65_DashLampOption_ashtrayCigLighter.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	478272   Click image for larger version

Name:	1_64_65_DashLampOption_ashtrayCigLighter1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	478273   Click image for larger version

Name:	1_64_65_DashLampOption_ashtrayCigLighter2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	478274   Click image for larger version

Name:	1_64_65_DashLampOption_ashtrayCigLighter3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	478275  

Old 03-16-2018, 01:43 PM

Thanks Peter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
If it's the kind where there is a silver domed metal covering over top of the bulb socket or sockets, and one wire each to the socket. Those are the type where a #53 light bulb fits.

The domes each have a tiny slot or a pinhole(s) in the end of them to allow some light to filter out and reflect off of the inner edge of one of those clip on tangs.

1966 & 67 Lemans and GTOs had a similar light option. Here is a photo of an NOS GTO accessory light kit for '64 & 65 GTO that I found at a swap meet many years ago & sold.