Old 12-01-2020, 04:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

More pic's of seat bottom, driver, left side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatBottomDriver5.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	555178   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatBottomDriver6.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	555179   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatBottomDriver7.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	555180   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatBottomDriver8.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	555181  

Old 12-02-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimib View Post
More pic's of seat bottom, driver, left side.
Hi Jim, I responded to your email with a few different options.

The side springs are really the most commonly broken on these, so I replace them even when they aren't broken.

Looks like you missed the broken front corner spring- visible to the left of your pen in the first pic posted above. The bottom part of that spring should go through the tab in the frame, but the last few loops are missing.

Also not a big deal to repair, and pretty common to find broken.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambow View Post
Hi Jim, I responded to your email with a few different options.

The side springs are really the most commonly broken on these, so I replace them even when they aren't broken.

Looks like you missed the broken front corner spring- visible to the left of your pen in the first pic posted above. The bottom part of that spring should go through the tab in the frame, but the last few loops are missing.

Also not a big deal to repair, and pretty common to find broken.
Thanks for responding Ben and I received and responded to the email you sent me.
Thanks for pointing out the broken spring that I missed; the front corner to the left of my pen. You certainly have a trained eye for this detail. I now see it in the pic and tomorrow when I don't have to work, I'll check it out on the actual seat springs.
It's good to know "not a big deal to repair".
Look forward to talking with you and heard all "positives" of your service and knowledge.

Old 12-05-2020, 02:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ben;
Do you think I should replace the "bucket seat track springs". My current one's seem to be OK except for one that is bent but still works.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SeatAdustingSpring3.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	555471   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatAdustingSpring.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	555472   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatAdustingSpring2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	555473  

Old 12-05-2020, 02:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Also, here are pic's of the seat mounting brackets. When I replaced the floor pans, I had to cut these out since there were welded to the old rusted floor pans. If I re-use the current one's, it will have the welded part of the old floor pans attached to them. It's only $42 at Ames to replace the two long pieces and two short pieces.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SeatFloorMounts2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	555475   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatFloorMounts1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	555476   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatFloorMounts4.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	555477  

Old 12-06-2020, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

jimib...just grind off the old floor and reuse the originals...Save $42 plus shipping

The Following User Says Thank You to gtospieg For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Ben;
Do you think I should replace the "bucket seat track springs". My current one's seem to be OK except for one that is bent but still works.
They do sell new ones for about $30... but honestly as long as they aren't broken I would just wire brush em, repaint and run them.

regarding the floor brackets, I would just clean them up and reuse them assuming the threads on the studs are all still good.

There is no point in buying new (chinese) made reproduction brackets when you have good original made in the USA steel right there.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

gtospieg: Good idea; I'll be grinding.
rambow: I have this thing about keeping as much of the original parts as possible which is AMERICAN.

Old 12-10-2020, 05:52 PM

Cranked out some repair springs for Jim's buckets last night...

2 pairs of new 9ga front & rear side support springs for both seats
and one new Front to Rear spring (top of photo).

Forgot to take a pic of the rest of the finished springs and the padding kit before I boxed it
all up though. Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20201210_072103005.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	555812  

The Following User Says Thank You to rambow For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2020, 11:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks,Ben, your spring repair kit should be here in a couple of days.
Today, I received a package from Ames. This will complete the front bucket seats; with the vinyl covering, ACI molded foam, chrome buttons, spacers, screws, bolts, nuts, parchment paint, and this is what I can think of thus far.
The 2 cans of spray paint I bought is parchment to match the interior. On the cans it says for vinyl, leather, and plastic. Anyone know if this paint will work on the metal panels on the back of the two seats?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SeatCoversParchment.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	555909   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatCoversParchment1.jpg
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	555910   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatCoversParts.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	555911  

Old 12-19-2020, 09:40 PM

A few more repair parts fabbed up and on their way to Jim that we missed on our first repair assesment...

These go in the bucket upper cushions, they set the height of the spring assembly to the frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20201218_213459772.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	556531  

Old 12-19-2020, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The 2 cans of spray paint I bought is parchment to match the interior. On the cans it says for vinyl, leather, and plastic. Anyone know if this paint will work on the metal panels on the back of the two seats?
I’ve found that that paint is good but very translucent. Even if your seat backs were parchment originally they don’t cover any dark marks, etc that might be on the panels.
Give them a good cleaning (dawn & water), after they’re dry scuff them up with a scotch brite pad, blow off dust, wipe them down with alcohol and then PRIME them with white primer. Rattle cans from Home Depot work great. It’s important they are a uniform white (light coat(s) to not obscure the texture) And THEN you can apply the parchment color. You will use FAR less than you would have if you didn’t prime first. They’ll come out nice and even and you’ll have plenty of parchment left for bottom covers, armrest bases etc..

Old 12-20-2020, 05:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrainer View Post
I’ve found that that paint is good but very translucent. Even if your seat backs were parchment originally they don’t cover any dark marks, etc that might be on the panels.
Give them a good cleaning (dawn & water), after they’re dry scuff them up with a scotch brite pad, blow off dust, wipe them down with alcohol and then PRIME them with white primer. Rattle cans from Home Depot work great. It’s important they are a uniform white (light coat(s) to not obscure the texture) And THEN you can apply the parchment color. You will use FAR less than you would have if you didn’t prime first. They’ll come out nice and even and you’ll have plenty of parchment left for bottom covers, armrest bases etc..
Good info here to know. When I'm ready to paint, I'll put your advice to use.

Old 01-16-2021, 03:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I thought I would keep this question in this thread since it is regarding seat springs and my current project.

I am repairing the springs on the rear seat assembly. I bought clips that are identical to the original clips (see pic). Is there a specialized tool to use to crimp these clips to clamp them to the springs? For now, I'm just using pliers, needle nose, and like tools to crimp them to the springs. As you can see in the pic, the (my) crimp could be better.
If there is no such tool, I claim the rights to my invention. LOL.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clips.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	558585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clips1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	558586  

Old 01-16-2021, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ben (rambow) talks to tools and clips in his generous recent tutorial. His clips are a different style than yours but this may help. Look at post #23:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=847304

Old 01-16-2021, 04:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Ben (rambow) talks to tools and clips in his generous recent tutorial. His clips are a different style than yours but this may help. Look at post #23:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=847304
Thank you Shinny; I'll look at this thread. Thank God for Ben (and thanks to Ben).