Old 07-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Senior Chief

Default '64 Tempest Custom 4-door - what's it worth?

Hey all...

'64 Tempest Custom 4-door. In very good shape overall, one area of trunk pan is thinning with some pinholes, but no other real rust to speak of in this car. Complete and very original, interior in good driver shape, one large tear along a seam in front bench seat, but otherwise very nice. Light blue paint has some wear, but not terrible and no external rust. I believe it has the 2 bbl 326, column shift automatic (I assume a 2 speed) with A/C. Car appears complete overall, engine and all components are there. All trim, glass, etc are present and accounted for and in good shape. For the life of me I can't recall the exact original mileage, but I think the odometer is in the 40's (in any case I'm sure it's 60's or less, and the condition of the car backs it up).

Car was driven to where it sits and parked a few years ago, but does not run now. Put a charge to the battery and the engine turns over smoothly, but does not catch fire.

Was literally a textbook "little old ladies" car, one-owner with original dealership paperwork and such. My friend took it on trade for some painting equipment, intending to fix it up and add disc brakes and have his son drive it... but has changed his mind since then. Now the car sits in his side yard under a tarp. As a Pontiac aficianado it makes me quite sad - the car is pretty well-preserved and deserves better.

What's this car worth? I'm seriously considering buying it from him on speculation, getting the engine running, possibly driving it on Hot Rod Power Tour next summer and selling it - hopefully turning a little profit in the process to put towards my GTO.

Just need to know how stupid an idea this is. What do you honestly think this car would bring if made road-worthy and put up for sale?

Thanks for the input...

Chris

We are building a bad-ass, hot-looking, hot-running Pontiac street machine.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Senior Chief

Oh yeah... IIRC, the car has power steering and power brakes.

Chris

Old 07-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Suspended

a buddy deal between friends should not be too much, couple thousand tops, and not a big seller later except for the parts a GTO guy can use.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:47 AM
Senior Chief

I'm not that interested in figuring out how much I should pay for the car.... but how much it might actually sell for when I turned around to do so. I understand it wouldn't be a super-hot commodity, but for my purposes there's a big difference between $1000 and $3000. If I know what I can expect to get out of it in running condition, I can pretty easily figure out how much I can spend on it and expect to turn it around for a little $$.

This wouldn't be a good parts car - it's in far too good condition to be taken apart and I would guess there would be very few valuable crossover parts for a GTO, anyway.

Chris

Old 07-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

having been the unlucky owner of a few V8 4 door mid '60's cars, I can tell you that there is very little demand for these cars. I mean very little, because as you stated exactly, they are little old lady cars.
You are going to have to find the right person for this car, and in this market, it may be darn next to impossible.
It is an a/c car, so that does give it some merit.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you do part it out give me first shot.
Have a friend that needs a driver side door for a 65 but it must be mint.
He may take the rest or consider it as a whole car to get the door.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check out this post. http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=539928

When I read your post I thought of this guy, Scotzz

Old 07-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you or your friend want to part with it, I'd be interested in buying it whole.

1962 Grand Prix - Cameo Ivory|389 4sp|One-Owner Survivor
1964 GTO HT - Silvermist Grey|389 3x2s 4spd|A/C|Hurst Wheels|Frame-off|SOLD
1965 GTO Post - Mayfair Maize|421 3x2s TKO600|Pro-Touring|
1966 GTO HT - Barrier Blue|389 3x2s 4spd|Red Fenderliners
2005 GTO Coupe - Yellow Jacket|Magnacharged LS2 6sp|543hp/561tq|SOLD
2006 GTO Coupe - Spice Red|LS2 6sp|20k orig miles
Old 07-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Suspended

yeah, there is plenty of market for parts, when I had mine, everyday some one (mostly GTO guys) was looking for the front clip, dash, brackets, bumper, mirrors, options, PS, AC, even the seat belts, steering wheel, etc. there are a LOT of GTO items from a tempest, even a 4 door.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Suspended

Thumbs down

750.00 and good luck, maybe more in panama , or elsalvador .

Old 07-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lets see some pictures.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Senior Chief

put it on eBay with a 2 million $ reserve and see what the bidding gets to. a free, market-driven appraisal.

unless you'd be uncomfortable getting only 2 million dollars for it.