Old 11-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My vote is # 5

Old 11-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let me confirm that I still have the un-painted original part to compare to and I'll PM once I make sure this evening. Thanks for going to all the effort to do this comparison. From the pics posted, I can't rule out any of them except probably the center sample #3 as it seems to have very little if any green in it.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PPG has a color assistance program, but it is intended for suppliers and body shops only.
I tried a few years back and they wouldn't give me a password. "A valid PPG billing account number is required to register for this site." Maybe someone here works in the industry?

http://www.ppg.com/coatings/commerci...s/default.aspx

Old 11-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I am back in town and have the samples ready to mail out. The paint does not feel totally cured though, so I will wait until Monday to do so. I am a little afraid that they might stick together when stacked and packaged all together. I am still waiting for someone with guaranteed low mileage original paint to ask for a sample to do a comparison. Below are a few pictures. One is the oil pan off of the 455HO I bought from PB. On it is painted samples of the Tiemann, OEM and Pontiac Power paints. I can't guarantee that the paint on this pan is original. Also below is a picture of the samples. Let me know by PM is you want one. Especially you low mile, original paint guys.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bentwheelbob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like that Tiemann paint matches pretty good.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=Bentwheelbob;5058982]

I continue to be in awe of the Hot Rod Garage work environment.

Thanks Bob for all this work.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:43 AM

BWB. I think this is a Velocity Network show in the making. Let say the name of the show is called T/A Restoration. A PY member loans his/her project to the show for complete restoration to exact factory specifications. Each week features a question of the week such as the answer for which you are presently working on. This concept continues in a series of episodes until the car it full restored. Thanks again for your work. Looking forward to the samples and subsequent test results for PY members on this thread. Copyright Mezzo.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
Looks like that Tiemann paint matches pretty good.
I'm with you if you can take some of the shine out of it.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked for the valve covers and water neck I had with what I believe to have been original paint but they ended up being the ones I chose to re-use on the engine. I'm still looking to try and find something else to match but just did a lot of cleaning out of parts and may not have anything left. Thanks for doing all that you've done for this paint question, seems that most of the other engine paints Pontiac used are easier to match compared to this light blue-green for the '71-'72 so this hopefully your work will help a lot of people with getting it right.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

this pic, posted here on PY by Nick S of some uncovered original engine paint is exactly what mine looked like in the areas that still had similar amounts of original paint on them. Same hint of green that shows up in this picture.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Well I am back in town and have the samples ready to mail out. The paint does not feel totally cured though, so I will wait until Monday to do so. I am a little afraid that they might stick together when stacked and packaged all together. I am still waiting for someone with guaranteed low mileage original paint to ask for a sample to do a comparison. Below are a few pictures. One is the oil pan off of the 455HO I bought from PB. On it is painted samples of the Tiemann, OEM and Pontiac Power paints. I can't guarantee that the paint on this pan is original. Also below is a picture of the samples. Let me know by PM is you want one. Especially you low mile, original paint guys.

That oil pan is not original paint, just FYI. It probably is the rattle can plasti kote 208.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Original paint valve cover.....plasti kote 208 cap, original paint on intake. All 3 are different. Aluminum intake heat/cool cycles changes the color from the metal valve cover. Hard to say what the original engines looked like.

Really, we are comparing an apple to an orange here....new paint vs 40 year old paint. Is any of them really wrong? What will all these samples look like in 40 years?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	342369  

Last edited by PB; 11-08-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Original paint under the elbow

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	342370  

Old 11-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by weranc55 View Post
I'm with you if you can take some of the shine out of it.
Take some of the shine AND a tinge of the green out of it, then one is there!

Old 11-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can't you just add flattener be added to the tiemann mix? How well do the custom mixes hold up to the engine temperatures?

Old 11-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzo View Post
BWB. I think this is a Velocity Network show in the making. Let say the name of the show is called T/A Restoration. A PY member loans his/her project to the show for complete restoration to exact factory specifications. Each week features a question of the week such as the answer for which you are presently working on. This concept continues in a series of episodes until the car it full restored. Thanks again for your work. Looking forward to the samples and subsequent test results for PY members on this thread. Copyright Mezzo.
And as if on cue, the High Performance Pontiac magazine comes out with an article showcasing Tiemann and his take on engine colors.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Take some of the shine AND a tinge of the green out of it, then one is there!
I'm not sure you need to take any shine out if the OEM that NJSteve used on the Black Car is any indication. Give it a thousand miles or so and the shine will take care of itself. Here's the oil cap that Steve painted this past winter with OEM and the picture makes it appear shinier than it is in person. The valve covers have flattened even more. Maybe using auto paint from a gun instead of a rattlecan would make a difference. I don't know.

Relative to taking a tinge of the green out, which paint are you referring to?

Old 11-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tiemann paint doesn't look like it has enough green in it to me. Compare that to the timing cover. (original paint) 71, 72, early 73 had a lot of green as compared to other years.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did I miss the unveiling? Whats the consensus?

Old 11-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Did I miss the unveiling? Whats the consensus?
No you did not miss the "unveiling". I'm not sure that anyones opinion has been changed. I will be getting the samples out in the mail today as promised. I hope I have or can find all the emails and PM's of those who want samples. Still waiting for someone with the elusive, very nice, hardly aged paint to step forward. I have several extra sample sets, so if you would like one send me a PM. Since I am a glutton for punishment, I did order a sixth paint this weekend which is sold by OER. I used their products on the honeycomb project and needed some paint to replenish inventory, and when I ordered it I saw they had a '71 to '73 Pontiac Engine paint.

Here are my thoughts on the paint:

1) PlastiKote - way too blue. Almost baby blue.
2) Pontiac Power - pretty close, but a little too blue with not enough green. This paint is the closest to the Tiemann of all the samples.
3) Ames - Too dark and too green.
4) Tiemann - this is my pick. I think as it ages and heat cycles it will end up looking close to the OEM.
5) OEM - too green as a starting point, but a good color. I think it probably matches 40 year old Pontiac engine paint exposed to heat, grease, et cetera, really well, but I think it is a little off as a starting point.

Here is the key for the paint numbers in the photos. I am still working on getting the paint codes, but be patient. I also will be doing the custom blend known as WTFKFS, however, instead of going 50/50 OEM and Tiemann, I think I will do 35/65 respectively.