Old 05-04-2008, 05:36 PM

Default Dumb Q- what sensor is this? (2002 3100v6)

Hello all,
Found a sensor leaking at the front of a 3.1 in a 2002 GP, right above the starter and a few inches to the driver's side of the oil filter. I'm assuming it's the oil pres sensor or is that too obvious? Some kinda temp sensor for the oil life computer, etc.? Can't find any shop manuals or even engine bay schematics for this car and even googling the problem has proven useless. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Picture would be helpful.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:42 PM

Is there a sensor just above to oil filter too?

If I recall correctly, there are 2 sensors on that side of the block. One is the oil pressure sensor and the other is the crankshaft position sensor for the ignition system. The oil life sensor is usually mounted on the side of the oil pan.

If you can post a pic. Otherwise you can go to a place like Auto Zones website and search for the sensors. They usually have a picture of the sensor so you can see what they look like.

Now ZZ4 Powered!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The knock sensor is above and slightly left of center on the oil filter -- it screws horizontally into the block. The oil pressure switch is farther to the left, above the starter, and is angled down into the block. Both have one wire, but the oil pressure switch has a connector meant for two wires (only one is used).

"I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition...!"
'69 Cameo White RA III Judge, 4 speed, owned since 1977 -- my first car.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:55 PM

Thanks much for all replies. I can just barely get a glimpse of them with a small mirror & flashlight so a pic will be tricky but I'll give it a go when I can. I was able to find 3 sensors in the following order from pass side to driver's side:

One plugging in toward the pass side of car just to the pass side of the oil filter which has what looks like 3 very small gauge wires:
blue, light greenish and white/blk

Second one is right near the filter, angled downward -- what looks like a thicker & darker blue wire, presumably the OP sender(?).

Third (leaking) one appears to protrude straight out/horizontal, with one light-brownish or tan colored wire. The base of it which screws into the block looks a little like the base of the old style idiot light oil pres switches, but it then has about a 1.5" long cylinder of black plastic and finally what looks like a white connector with a black center where the wire goes in...looks like there's room for another wire but there isn't one. Sorry about the length of this... I'll try to get a pic of it up soon if this description doesn't cut it. Thanks again.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The three-wire sensor is one of two crank sensors. The dark blue wire goes to the knock sensor, and the tan wire goes to the oil pressure switch.

"I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition...!"
'69 Cameo White RA III Judge, 4 speed, owned since 1977 -- my first car.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:45 AM

Great, thanks Lee-- now I'll know what to buy to stop the thing from dripping oil all over the driveway. Just wanted to make certain before I pulled the trigger.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:18 AM

BTW, the part # is D1834A, yes? Thanks again.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:11 PM

All set; thanks to everyone.