National Events Events that normally draw audiences from more than a 10 state range

Old 09-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pontiac US Nationals

Just got an email about this:

http://www.pontiacusnationals.com

Old 09-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

6.98 @ 199mph
4.53 @ 164mph
Old 09-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shame there are no heads up classes

6.98 @ 199mph
4.53 @ 164mph
Old 09-25-2014, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing going on Sunday or is that Bowling Greens regular weekly program?

Old 09-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Shame there are no heads up classes
I would say now is the time for someone like John M to try his hand at starting his heads up program.

Don't wait till the last 2 or 3 weeks before an event to get something going.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Senior Chief

I know of a heads up match that I want. We're working hard to be there.
SD

Old 09-25-2014, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any idea on payouts????

Old 09-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok any idea on payouts?

Wouldn't mind going but to $pend a ton on a weekend like going to Bowling Green it's Gota be worth it.

I sill don't understand how The Tri-Power Nationals in Norwalk only pays back like 10% of what is paid at the gate. And what you win won't even pay gas money to get there and back.

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.890@157.08 MPH in Iowa in June’23 ,157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23
Old 10-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't mean to sound harsh and this will probably be taken the wrong way, but....

Because I feel, (and I think most other car people do) that it's more about the comradery and not so much what a payout might be. I suspect it's always been that way which is why big events with a mix of show and race like the Tri-Power Nats still draw a big crowd. I'm just glad that there are still people putting on such events.

I go, and both race and show, and don't care if I win anything at all. I simply enjoy a chance to get the car out, have some fun on the track, enjoy a weekend among friends, and see other cars. When it starts to become a subject of "how much can I win" then I think the fun is over for me and I've lost the real reason I'm in the hobby.

If I were worried about payouts I'd attend NHRA, NMCA (which has heads up racing Wreckmastr), IHRA events, not an event where most of the focus seems to be surrounding the classic car world.

Personally I hope it's a success and that there will be more to follow. I enjoy the show/race mixed events and believe all shows should be at the dragstrip to add some variety. Lawn chair nationals are a bit boring.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X2!

I agree 100%

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/st 54 View Post
Ok any idea on payouts?

Wouldn't mind going but to $pend a ton on a weekend like going to Bowling Green it's Gota be worth it.

I sill don't understand how The Tri-Power Nationals in Norwalk only pays back like 10% of what is paid at the gate. And what you win won't even pay gas money to get there and back.
How do you figure 10%.

GTO George

Old 10-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
How do you figure 10%.

GTO George
The bottom bulb guys take it in the shorts. At $65 entry for 2 days(WHICH IS AWESOME!!!)
And roughly 200 in pro and about the same in street. That's $13000 gate and pays out $2200 to win/Runner up that's roughly 17% my bad I was off a few percent.

Really don't get me wrong if I ever go back to that race (because I just wanna race) it would also be to see old friends that I've made over the past few years. It is about the commrodery to me and you can't take that away but has anyone ever thought about car counts vs payout at that race?

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”

2860lbs 10.890@157.08 MPH in Iowa in June’23 ,157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23
Old 10-06-2014, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gotta pay the bills. I would imagine they have alot of overhead. I've been to alot of tracks around the country, California, Arizona, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio etc.. I can say without a doubt that Norwalk ranks right up there as one of the top notch tracks, excellent facilites, track prep and track surface is the best I've ever been on, it's a hookin' track. I can't even begin to imagine what it might cost to operate a facility like that but it must be immense. I don't mind supporting the tracks, especially the good ones like Norwalk, and hope that Norwalk stays around a long time.

I may not win anything, but, I get to race and have fun, and that's worth $65 for the weekend for me. I can't do anything near that out here on the West coast for $65. Just a goodguys event out here (if you enter a car) is nearly $100 and you don't race or get squat, except sunburn from standing around in the hot sun and doing alot of nothing. Somebodies getting rich on that deal.

That's where back East has it all over the West coast. The car events, especially the track events are so much more reasonable and don't hurt the wallet so much, more activities, more tracks to choose from etc...Now if they just had the weather it would be perfect

Old 10-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Gotta pay the bills. I would imagine they have alot of overhead. I've been to alot of tracks around the country, California, Arizona, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio etc.. I can say without a doubt that Norwalk ranks right up there as one of the top notch tracks, excellent facilites, track prep and track surface is the best I've ever been on, it's a hookin' track. I can't even begin to imagine what it might cost to operate a facility like that but it must be immense. I don't mind supporting the tracks, especially the good ones like Norwalk, and hope that Norwalk stays around a long time.

I may not win anything, but, I get to race and have fun, and that's worth $65 for the weekend for me. I can't do anything near that out here on the West coast for $65. Just a goodguys event out here (if you enter a car) is nearly $100 and you don't race or get squat, except sunburn from standing around in the hot sun and doing alot of nothing. Somebodies getting rich on that deal.

That's where back East has it all over the West coast. The car events, especially the track events are so much more reasonable and don't hurt the wallet so much, more activities, more tracks to choose from etc...Now if they just had the weather it would be perfect
RIGHT!!!!!!! I agree 100% we may have been to the exact same tracks! And you bet Norwalk hands down is one of the absolute best in the country! The Baders do a stand up job hands down! Tracks in my area are starting to get far and few between and now I hear another 1 or 2 might be closed. 3-5 hrs to go 1/4 mile racing would suck!

I hear more than a few great things about Bowling Green and what a great place it is to race. I have always wanted to make that 9hr drive and run a race there. I'm just wondering what it might pay so I can have a idea if I go to test and try crazy things that might make me a better driver or go and race the race.....either way my ultimate goal is to make some new friends and try to learn something from them........which seams to be the person that stomps a mud hole in me and makes me like it.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Gotta pay the bills.
I agree.

The track rental alone is probably a very big chunk.
The track personnel to run, the $1.00 ice cream guys (at Norwalk), and other stuff.

The camaraderie, seeing all those Pontiacs, priceless!

Old 10-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree that the camaraderie is a big part of going to a race. Hanging with friends for the weekend is great.....but I won't go to a race where there are no payouts posted. Traveling 8 hours to a race that pays 2 or 300 to win isn't going to happen either. Most can get that at their local track and hang with friends and have all the camaraderie they can handle. I had a great time this weekend hanging with my racing friends even though I broke the car. It is a little different getting to see all the Pontiac friends you only get to see once or twice a year though, that's why I go to Norwalk. A win should at least pay for the gas to get there and back, and the entry fee. That's where I draw the line to wether I go to a race or not.

I see where Jason is coming from with the payouts at Norwalk. No one can complain about $70 entry for the whole weekend. That's for sure. It's a great deal for the small entry fee. The real cost is fuel to get there and time off of work without pay. With 4 times as many cars in the Pro class as S/pro class for the same payout is where the no box guys get the short end of the stick like Jason was getting at. S/pro is at 90 or 100% payback on entry fees where Pro is closer to 35 or 40%. But at least a win will cover the fuel to get there and back. If it only paid $400 to win I would probably draw the line there and only go once every few years. I realize no one is getting rich from these races but I do feel payouts are an important part of a race too to keep racers coming.

With that said if they don't post a decent payout for this race the cars won't come and this race won't happen the following year. I hope they get the details figured out soon. I'd like to get it put on my schedule.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This goes without saying but I'm sure every racer realizes that it's also a big gamble. Even if the payouts were satisfactory enough to please others, that's still no guarantee that you'll get it. So in the back of your mind, even if people don't want to admit it, they still go to these races, pay the gas, motel, entry, maintanance on the car etc...knowing that they may still walk away with nothing to show for it. Ya gotta go rounds and win to take that money home. That's why we keep our day jobs

With that said, although the amount of payout might attract some people, I don't think it's the only reason the racers show up to an event like Norwalk. I've never viewed those that were only worried about the amount of money they could make as "real" car people.

Hey John, I forgot about the $1 ice cream. I get it every time I go out there. Love it.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Suspended

$70 for 2 days racing, $35 a day for $800 to win both days ( not counting the KRE Q16 race which is only a small added fee) not too bad. Super Pro has less cars but normally they run quicker and cost more then pro and street cars. Just something to think about, not trying to knock anyone.

GTO George

Old 01-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know specifics about Norwalk, but we get to hear a lot of behind-the-scenes info from a lot of different sources. And we have heard from multiple sources that renting a track for an exclusive event is $10-15k a day. The Norwalk event takes up the track for 3 days; so there has to be some pretty stiff cash flow to make this event happen.

I suppose the BG event will be facing the same tall hill to climb, financially. I hope they make a go of it.

FWIW,
Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 01-15-2015, 01:43 PM
Suspended

As of right now I'm planning on being there!

GTO George