Old 01-14-2020, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default bigpops 65

I will pass along some info for the older members that knew bigpop (Larry Banks). He passed a couple years ago. His threads and comments still get introduced, at times, to our beloved forum!

His widow, Lynn, commissioned D&M Corvettes, of Downers Grove, Illinois, to reassemble his documented 65 GTO 3X2 4 SPEED CONVERTIBLE. His car is in the registry here in this forum. This GTO was Jim Motts restoration!!

I will leave a link, hopefully. You may also Google it. Any questions need to be addressed to D&M.

https://dmcorvette.com/inventory/6279/

Old 01-14-2020, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't see the 10% that needs to be finished. Not a ridiculous price like most would be. I knew that Larry hadn't been on the boards; the last time I had talked to him we were supposed to meet at some meet and he had a problem with his health and couldn't make it. Wish her luck with the sale.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 01-14-2020, 10:55 PM
Suspended

Wow! I'm not a fan of the price but definately a fan of the car. Interesting color. Definitely a nice car but the price needs a diet or it will end up like a black OHC6 coupe.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the update, Bill.

I was wondering if Larry was still around.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-15-2020, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I too wondered if he was still around, but I suspected that he had aged out. Unfortunate to hear he passed, and that long ago. Fortunately he is memorialized in this forum.

Old 01-15-2020, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's sad news .

Spoke with him a few times and did some business with him . I always enjoyed his post and comments .

Car is very nice looking. price seems fare . You could not buy one and restore it for that money. Even if you did the work yourself

Old 01-15-2020, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ryder View Post
I will pass along some info for the older members that knew bigpop (Larry Banks). He passed a couple years ago. His threads and comments still get introduced, at times, to our beloved forum!

His widow, Lynn, commissioned D&M Corvettes, of Downers Grove, Illinois, to reassemble his documented 65 GTO 3X2 4 SPEED CONVERTIBLE. His car is in the registry here in this forum. This GTO was Jim Motts restoration!!

I will leave a link, hopefully. You may also Google it. Any questions need to be addressed to D&M.

https://dmcorvette.com/inventory/6279/
Very kind of you Bill to bring this up, Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	larry banks.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	528890  

Old 01-15-2020, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WOW John. Where did you get that? I think that was 2010 or 2011 in Bowling Green, KY. GTOAA. That is how far back he wasn't feeling good. BUT he still made the trip from Chicago!!! He was a GREAT friend!!!

"Bill"!

Old 01-23-2020, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I also miss Larry. Never met him except on this forum. He was a frequent contributor here, when he stopped posting I didn't even want to ask. Belated condolences to his family and I hope his GTO finds a new owner that will appreciate the effort and care that Larry gave to it during his life. He will always be part of the story of that '65 and the new owner would do well to learn something about Larry to fully appreciate his purchase.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I also used to communicate and trade parts with Larry. He was a great help to me with technical questions I had about a 67 I was preparing for a customer to have judged. He connected me with Terry Wiener (who was quite literally on the road and graciously helped) to have his car win at the G.T.O.A.A. Nationals that year. I've wondered about Larry the past few years, but remember he was an infrequent contributor here, so hoped the best for him. I think he had heart related problems later in life.
I'm sorry to learn about his passing....

Old 01-24-2020, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I too, have wondered what happened to Larry. He and I had many discussions on this board. He was polite and knowledgeable. His '65 looks awesome in the pictures. That is a very realistic price for a '65 convertible of that caliber. Looking at his car prompts me to think of my GTO's sitting in my garage after I'm gone. After all, none of us get out of here alive!

I hope for the best for his wife and may Larry rest in peace.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 01-24-2020, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Larry contacted me years ago about my 67 and whether I might be interested in trading for his 65. We exchanged emails and phone calls pretty regularly for a while. At some point, he started going through treatments, and I suspected things were very serious when, instead of discussing the trade and cars, we spent more time talking about life, politics, etc. He was a nice guy and very generous. In fact, just this morning I went through a box of parts he sent me for my 67 that he said belonged on my car.