Old 09-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Tail and dash lights

64GTO,
Tail lights or dash lights, not working. I did some poking around under the dash, I hooked up groung to test light, and as soon as I touched anything metal in the fusebox they started working. Turned everthing off, not working, touched metal in the fusebox, then they work again. I'm the farthest thing from a electrician, but it sounds like a ground issue?? Is the factory fusebox grounded somehow?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Bill

Old 09-24-2008, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL BOWMAN1 View Post
64GTO,
Tail lights or dash lights, not working. I did some poking around under the dash, I hooked up groung to test light, and as soon as I touched anything metal in the fusebox they started working. Turned everthing off, not working, touched metal in the fusebox, then they work again. I'm the farthest thing from a electrician, but it sounds like a ground issue?? Is the factory fusebox grounded somehow?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Bill
"they started working" They being, the dash and tail lights, or the test light?

Any hot fuse in the fuse box, will light up a grounded test light.

Dash and tail lights both get their power from the same source, so naturally if one goes out so does the other. They are both on the same fuse.

Make sure fuses are making GOOD contact on both ends. If just touching a fuse makes the lights work, dash and tail, sounds like a poor fuse connection or fuse may have come apart inside.

It's possible that there is a loose connection behind the fuse box and pushing on the fuse terminal ends makes a connection.