The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-05-2006, 08:32 PM

Default Window molding clips

I can not get the rear window trim back on after painting my 69 lemans. I thought I had the correct clips but now I think they may be wrong. Does the 69 use differant clips for the windshield molding then the rear glass? I did not try to put the front trim on yet. If the clips are differant could anyone advise the part numbers?

Thanks in advance

Tom S

Old 09-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'68 to '72 should all be the same and like the one on the right in the pic.
Could be the glass is not set deeply enough so the trim can't get a grip on the clips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clip.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	64363  

Old 09-05-2006, 10:58 PM

I found that there are 2 types of the G134 looking clips, one is green and has 2 tangs that are supposed to keep the molding in (wrong type) the second is black and has a one piece holder to keep the trim down. just went thry that on my 71 lemans, I ordered the type 2 from the paint shop today, will be in wednesday at noon. I'll let you know there part number and post a pick. I've been thru about 5 different clips trying to find the right one (my lemans came to me with no trim or clips)

Old 09-06-2006, 08:31 AM

Default clips

Greg,

What manufacturer is that from? The Padock lists rear 66-67 on one part number, front 68-72 with another, and 70 having seperate numbers for front and rear, with no rear listed for 68-69? Performace years has the clips but no discription of what years or front to back designation.

Tom

Old 09-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you have trouble locating specific clips, there is a company by the name of Restoration specialties & Supply
that carry every clip for every car from 1950 and up. They have a website and an on-line catalog.
Hope this helps.
Chris.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:46 PM
PY Staff - Tech

Hello,
We list 2 different numbers for front and back. Part #RPF185 for 68-72 front clips and #RPF183 for 68-72 rear clips.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom from NJ
Greg,

What manufacturer is that from? The Padock lists rear 66-67 on one part number, front 68-72 with another, and 70 having seperate numbers for front and rear, with no rear listed for 68-69? Performace years has the clips but no discription of what years or front to back designation.

Tom
That screenshot is from the Ames catalog. They are the clips I have on mine and they worked for both the front and rear.
I'd be interested to see the front and rear clips listed by PY for the '68 to '72 models.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:57 AM
PY Staff - Tech

Hi Greg,
It's very hard to tell the difference between the two when they are in front of you. The second clip is RPF183, rear clips, and the third clips is RPF185, front clips.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stacey,
The clip on the right is what I'm using and is also what was on the car when I got it. Are you saying they are the wrong clips?

Last edited by Greg Reid; 09-07-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:13 PM

I just picked up mine from the paint/body supply store, they look like the one on the right except they are red and have little anti backout ribs on the slot that the stud fits in. The number of the box is 379 reveal moulding clip GM (9895598). just put my front winshield molding in the 71 lemans a couple of minutes ago. got it in in 3 minutes no problems at all, snapped right in. has a tight fit. a box of 50 was $14

Old 09-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since I gots the Vinyl Top, I went from using the far-right clip to having some clips from the second-or-third photo just to get the correct height.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:54 PM
PY Staff - Tech

Hi Greg,
According to our tech guy those are for the Firebirds/Trans Ams, he said in most cases any of them will work though. I guess they're just not the correct ones? I did my rear window so long ago I don't remember what they looked like. I will need to do the front soon though, or I'll be buying floor pans again. I'll let you know what I had when I do it if you'd like. It may be a month or two yet. I just got it back on the road from sitting for 8 years so I really just wanna drive it for now, even if my feet get wet while driving, lol.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Stacey. If you think about it when the time comes, I'd like to know. It'll be quite some time before my glass goes back in. Probably next summer.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:44 AM
PY Staff - Tech

Ok, I'll get my dad's camera and take pictures for you. Like I said it'll probably be within the next month or two.