Old 01-21-2020, 07:38 PM

Default Belt mouldings (chrome) and squeegee help please

Hello everybody

I bought the repops from Ames, exterior chrome belt mouldings for my 65 GTO. I also bought what they called the "better" matching squeegee kit (Wiskas ?)

The problem I have is when the window, especially the rear quarter glass, goes up the bottom of the glass holder hits and lifts the squeegee/moulding forcing it up. Almost like the new mouldings are too fat or the glass goes up too high... I know it can't go too hight because all the weather strips are new and the glass seems to be well adjusted. I am guessing I have to drop the quater glass to get to the center screw? I can try to adjust the glass more inside-ward but I dont want to lose the relationship between the glass and weather strip.

For the doors, does the small vent glass (vent window) has to be removed for the mouldings to be installed?

Has someone wrestled with this? Any advice?

Thank you

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Old 01-21-2020, 08:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did you get all of the screws in? Every time I do this I end up having to drop the window some. You can get to a few on each end but the glass usually covers the ones in the center.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Did you get all of the screws in? Every time I do this I end up having to drop the window some. You can get to a few on each end but the glass usually covers the ones in the center.
I was just test fitting for now. It's just I was thinking no way this was going to have enough clearance.
Is it your experience that you have to tight the three screws in order for the squeegees to sit tight?
Thanks

Old 01-24-2020, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They are terrible repo parts & the inside lower edge is too thick & grabs the glass holders. Trim the lower lip off with razor knife -score until through.

The Following User Says Thank You to chrisp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
They are terrible repo parts & the inside lower edge is too thick & grabs the glass holders. Trim the lower lip off with razor knife -score until through.
Thought of that, glad someone has done it. Seems the squeegees are a little wavy also, I tryed to straighten them as much as possible but I think it hurts more then it helps.

Thanks for chiming in

Old 01-25-2020, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MecGen View Post
Thought of that, glad someone has done it. Seems the squeegees are a little wavy also, I tryed to straighten them as much as possible but I think it hurts more then it helps.

Thanks for chiming in

Once bent they are trash , send them back & get a new set & trim bottoms off before install.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whether hardtop or post, the vent windows need to be removed before the belt moldings can be removed and installed. Can someone describe the best way to do this? I assembled mine on my'64 post coupe six years ago, but now want to remove and polish or replace them--both the doors and quarter belt moldings.

I had the belt moldings polished on my wife's '64 hardtop before installing. They were not anodized, but I'm happy with the end result. About once per year, using chrome polish brings them back to life. Same with my grilles. The anodizing was removed and grilles polished. Not a big maintenance issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tom Glatch GTO Pics II.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	530070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tom Glatch GTO Pics V.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	530071  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 01-26-2020, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Closer view of wife's polished grilles.

Belt moldings and post window trim still anodized, but many scratches. A reminder to myself--Do these pieces before assembling the doors!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Fenders 006.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	530072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nancy's GTO, Firebird 050.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	530073  

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 01-26-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
A reminder to myself--Do these pieces before assembling the doors!!
I found this out as well ... not to mention I have to take out the rear panel as well

Old 01-27-2020, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Whether hardtop or post, the vent windows need to be removed before the belt moldings can be removed and installed. Can someone describe the best way to do this? I assembled mine on my'64 post coupe six years ago, but now want to remove and polish or replace them--both the doors and quarter belt moldings.

I had the belt moldings polished on my wife's '64 hardtop before installing. They were not anodized, but I'm happy with the end result. About once per year, using chrome polish brings them back to life. Same with my grilles. The anodizing was removed and grilles polished. Not a big maintenance issue.
Pull the interior panels off & drop the glass down as far as possible then you can remove them with glass lowered.

The Following User Says Thank You to chrisp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about the belt line moldings in the doors? Aren't the wing windows in the way of the screws?

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 01-28-2020, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
How about the belt line moldings in the doors? Aren't the wing windows in the way of the screws?
yes ,1 screw towards the front . The vent assy would have to unbolted & pulled up a few inches.