Old 02-15-2019, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Can Am outside window trim

I know blacked out o/s window trim was part of the C/A package but out of the 4 I owned at one time or another only 3 of them had the blacked out trim.

The one that doesn't I bought from the second owner over twenty years ago and is a low mileage all original car.

I looked online and saw a couple others that had unpainted trim too but they were by far the exception.

Was this just a hit or miss thing when they were assembled? Early build vs late build?

What is an example of a late build number sequence?

Car I have in question is 391617

Old 02-16-2019, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My guess, and that's all it is , is that the black either wore off the trim, or some of it came off and the owner decided to remove the rest of it, or an owner decided he liked bright trim better and removed it for that reason. Maybe even some new buyers might have requested the dealer replace the black with bright trims. Black trims were a new thing, and not everybody liked it. Same thing happened to late 70's Trans Ams.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was the trim painted black at Motortown?

Stands to reason that if these were assembled by Pontiac as regular Lemans Sport Coupes they received the regular bright window trim and Motortown blacked it out as part of the C/A appearance package.

If so maybe some got missed.

Just wondering out loud here....

Old 03-18-2019, 04:04 PM

Default window trim

I'm a little late to this post but here's my experience. My Can Am had painted front and rear window reveal which had weathered badly when I purchased it in 90 or 91. It seemed to be a combo of sun and wind which left it almost completely bare. I lightly scotchbrite scuffed them, primed with etching primer and painted them semi black. They weathered about the same over the next few years as a daily driver. As for the drip rails and beltline trim, they had semi-black tape applied for the finish and have aged very well. I have read somewhere that the tape was the original choice to be installed by Motortown but it proved to be problematic getting applied as well as adherence problems. I'll try to locate the info about this and update if possible.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewisariz View Post
I'll try to locate the info about this and update if possible.
That would be great thanks.

I looked at the trim on my car very close and I can't find a trace of black paint anywhere. I plan on removing it to paint so I'll look then for any traces of old black paint.