Old 01-11-2020, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
I'm willing to listen to his firsthand info about the sc heads....
So Dcar, tell us about your sc"s and the issues you had with softness?
Seems others are making laps with a blower motor without issue.... so please, enlighten us with your firsthand info...

I have a friend who races at our track once or twice a year. Has one of the nicest 69 GTOs in the country, top notch. He bought 2 sets of Super Chiefs, had them ported. One for backup, quite a investment of money and work. Serious bracket racer.
So when he tells me they are soft, head gasket issues you expect me to tell him he is a liar ?? Like I said, he is looking at the DCI RAV head to get away from the problem.
This thread is a joke. Making up something to talk about. And sure, that is what the Race section is, sharing information.
In 2020 no one in their right mind would invest a ton of money into those things. How many Pontiac racers 15-20 years ago put a BBC in their car after investing time and money trying to make them reliable ? High Ports and E heads have both out performed the SC head and reliable.
Soft, core shift, porosity, seats moving around. Oh, and they are cheap. You want to get back into racing Pontiac don't you. Hey, they are cheap, 1249$ Jump right in.
The SC head had its place, brought us the High Port in a way. KRE used to use SC heads. But they ended up making their own without the quality issues. Their name was on the line.
Schief is making laps with his old SC heads. But he also races just for the fun of it. See how fast/quick he can go.
My friend is a serious bracket guy. Races in that big race in Las Vegas Verdi has won twice and done well in it. Nice paycheck. Water in your oil between rounds would be a problem.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Aluminum is “aged” through either thermal induction or chemical treatment to induce hardening. Any heat treating company familiar with aluminum has the required furnaces to accomplish the task. Let’s look at 356T3 for instance. 356 is the alloy number; T3 indicates the aluminum was artificially “aged” to the T3 standard. ALL aluminum is T1 before “aging”. The normal heating/cooling cycles are what age aluminum. A wise builder will anneal any aluminum component BEFORE welding or machining it to insure uniform “aging” and hardness.
Thanks 62. I know of people who have repaired their heads so many times they became soft. Is there a limit to how many times aluminum can be annealed ? Or did they maybe become soft simply because they were not properly annealed ?
In my work I anneal band saw blades but it is done with a torch. Heat up the welded area and back the torch off in a circular motion until you see "chasing shadows" and let it cool to room temperature.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Reher-Morrison-Shepard won World Championships with soft heads.... But they are not as smart as PY's resident Troll.

Just saying
A troll would be a member who "trolls for business" on a racers forum. That now is a serious troll.
BTW, have not been back to the CH since last post, I am sure you and your "circle" have been busy.
Oh, and I am a racer............Troll
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030497.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	528638  

Last edited by Dragncar; 01-11-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post

BTW, have not been back to the CH since last post
Why not I thought you were going give me a verbal butt kicking and expose to the world who I really am?

Quote:

I am a racer & a Troll
.....and obviously stoned again.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post

I would like to know how starting this thread im controlling who can post.
Quote:

This thread is a joke. Making up something to talk about.
WARNING DO NOT start any threads in the Race section for technical discussion.

It makes Dragncar's (aka Troy Beck's) hemorrhoids flare up.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul,
I have been told by a couple of people here that I am not a racer. Maybe so. But I do work with real racers all of the time providing support. I can tell you those couple of people I see calling themselves racer have no idea what a real racer is.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 01-11-2020, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Why not I thought you were going give me a verbal butt kicking and expose to the world who I really am?

.....and obviously stoned again.
Is that what you have to resort too ???
I am not stoned, do not drink or do drugs. I am not gay or a liberal because I live in California.

Anything else ?
Oh, I will get back to you. Wanted to go to the Clubhouse to keep the hard bickering out of the race section. But I am a busy guy, lot on my plate. You seem to spend a lot of time keeping up with the boards. Instead of a air grinder in your hands.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
WARNING DO NOT start any threads in the Race section for technical discussion.

It makes Dragncar's (aka Troy Beck's) hemorrhoids flare up.
Crossing lines Paul. Screen names are here for a reason. Some like a certain amount of privacy. I am not even on facebook dude.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Crossing lines Paul. Screen names are here for a reason. Some like a certain amount of privacy. I am not even on facebook dude.
See Club House that is where you wanted this to go but you are too busy. It's your thread you should make it a priority rather than being concerned about spreading your fifth hand opinions all over this Website....so go bicker with yourself. YOU are derailing another thread!

Old 01-11-2020, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Paul,
I have been told by a couple of people here that I am not a racer. Maybe so. But I do work with real racers all of the time providing support. I can tell you those couple of people I see calling themselves racer have no idea what a real racer is.

Stan
IMO you shouldn't have to be a racer to participate in any thread. If you have good information all should contribute. Especially if it's real world information not based and third and fourth hand opinions.

You also use your real name as your user name. Those folks that hide behind a made up super hero name get all liquored up and yap away because they feel their true identity is protected... They say things they'd never say to a person face to face.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Excuse me for starting a thread. There is currently a heck of a deal for a pair in the for sale section. So i thought i'd look into option since it's tempting at the current asking price. But i guess i was wrong to ask/start this thread. I guess i need dragncar's (Troy) permission going forward before starting a thread.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Excuse me for starting a thread. There is currently a heck of a deal for a pair in the for sale section. So i thought i'd look into option since it's tempting at the current asking price. But i guess i was wrong to ask/start this thread. I guess i need dragncar's (Troy) permission going forward before starting a thread.
You don't need anyone's permission. You started a thread about them, I told you what I knew about them.
If someone wants to buy them, buy them, Some people have mad them work.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
You don't need anyone's permission. You started a thread about them, I told you what I knew about them.
If someone wants to buy them, buy them, Some people have mad them work.
I asked if anyone knew if there was a cnc program out there for them. Please tell me how you contributed to answering that question????

The Following User Says Thank You to slowbird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I asked if anyone knew if there was a cnc program out there for them. Please tell me how you contributed to answering that question????
Brian,
We know JC has a set. We know he has done some porting on them Why don't you contact JC and see if he will port them and how much to do that or if he will let you get one of his done heads digitized.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 01-11-2020, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks 62. I know of people who have repaired their heads so many times they became soft. Is there a limit to how many times aluminum can be annealed ? Or did they maybe become soft simply because they were not properly annealed ?
In my work I anneal band saw blades but it is done with a torch. Heat up the welded area and back the torch off in a circular motion until you see "chasing shadows" and let it cool to room temperature.
Basically, the annealing process can be completed as many times as necessary. Welding is the biggest bugaboo since it thermally induces hardening into a small area instead of the entire part. Normally, aluminum hardens with heating cycles. A “soft” part is more a side effect of the part being the wrong alloy verses whether it was properly annealed or not. If the part was not hardened back to the correct spec( say T3 instead of T6) this too could present as a “soft” part.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-11-2020, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Calvin,what were Ric and Dave Johnson running with the first gen heads in N/SS at 7 lb per CI,I seem to remember they were running high 8s?Tom
As Paul said, most of Dave’s ETs were low 9’s, but he did get one 8.99 and for Dave, that was his goal. He went back to the 4 Cylinder to have fun after that. He did have a new aluminum build in process when his health was going south. Dave was running the WII heads with small cubic inch, I have the light weight 3.750” stroke crank he was building.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 01-11-2020, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Is that what you have to resort too ???
I am not stoned, do not drink or do drugs. I am not gay or a liberal because I live in California.

Anything else ?
Oh, I will get back to you. Wanted to go to the Clubhouse to keep the hard bickering out of the race section. But I am a busy guy, lot on my plate. You seem to spend a lot of time keeping up with the boards. Instead of a air grinder in your hands.
My sisters best friends brothers uncles wife’s daughter told me, the people at the mill don’t really like you.

I’m not sure if I should believe them.

😜

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

The Following User Says Thank You to 65nss4spdGTO For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My junk has been on the engine stand for years. I did freshen, assemble and hope to run it this spring.
Only thing I ever did to these was a resurface after running them pretty hard. I did swap the original seats out.

Someone on the board just relayed to me about a modified exhaust flange set that went 480 on the bench. He can chime in if he wants. Some here may know of those SCs?

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds

Last edited by J.C.you; 01-12-2020 at 12:27 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to J.C.you For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65nss4spdGTO View Post
My sisters best friends brothers uncles wife’s daughter told me, the people at the mill don’t really like you.

I’m not sure if I should believe them.

😜

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420
Well played sir, lol

Old 01-12-2020, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Talk about a hypocrite! You use my name all the time but no one can say yours?? You're are quite the human being.
For the record Troy i could care less if you use my name, i don't need to hide behind a screen (i came up with the name when i was in my teens and first log on here in the mid 90s) but i find it funny you expect others to do things you yourself aren't doing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slowbird For This Useful Post: