Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-13-2020, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cometics

How many guys are spraying new gaskets and are you taking them
Apart and spraying the middle layers? Have you seen a difference with or without? I have sprayed and reused old gaskets, but have not sprayed new gaskets. Thanks

1972 Maverick under slow construction
The Following User Says Thank You to mysticmissle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just spray a light coating of copper coat concentrating around the water holes on each side.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John you’re not dry decked? You don’t bother to split them

The Following User Says Thank You to mysticmissle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am not dry decked. I don’t like dry decking. We need as much coolant passing thru the surfaces as possible to address the heat problem at the center exhaust valves. Dry decking just creates more heat on the surfaces. Now on a boosted application on alcohol, I would dry deck. I just spray the surfaces for water leaks. Just want them to seal to the decks. I see no reason to spray between the layers.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I sprayed them in between like you were saying.

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 01-13-2020, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I run them "as is" out of the box. If they look good on the first freshen up I spray them with Copper coat and use them a second time.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:32 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post
I sprayed them in between like you were saying.
This >>>

Old 01-14-2020, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you dry deck and use a reverse cooling system, the heads will actually get cooler water running through them, as it's come straight from the radiator and not pre-heated up from the block. If you want cooler running exhaust valves (and who doesn't?), then send your cooled water from the pump into the front of the heads at the exhaust side, (where the core /cup plug is on factory heads) and take it out of the heads at the rear on the exhaust side - this forces the majority of the coolant down the exhaust side water passages.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No need to spray them. Ive called cometic on this . They say do not spry them. Ive sprayed them before. All it does is make more clean up to reuse them . It is a good idea to spray around the water holes but i dont. There designed to be used dry. Dont waste your time spraying inbetween the layers.. 44 psi and i have no issues with them installed dry ..

Old 01-14-2020, 01:57 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
No need to spray them. Ive called cometic on this . They say do not spry them. Ive sprayed them before. All it does is make more clean up to reuse them . It is a good idea to spray around the water holes but i dont. There designed to be used dry. Dont waste your time spraying inbetween the layers.. 44 psi and i have no issues with them installed dry ..

Maybe a six cylinder turbo application but
for a nitrous guy with a V8 it's not a waste time something you have no experience with so your comments only apply to you.. Its not apples to apples ..

Old 01-14-2020, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
Maybe a six cylinder turbo application but
for a nitrous guy with a V8 it's not a waste time something you have no experience with so your comments only apply to you.. Its not apples to apples ..

I dont have a 6 cylinder . I have a 4 cylinder. Its half of a 389 v 8 engine . Im making 900 hp with 4 cylinders . Why would it not be apples to apples?? What does half of your motor make?? Its the same as half of YOUR engine but with a smaller bore and stroke. Theres alot going on in my cylinders. My head gasket would fit your engine . Its the same thing ..

I have a 461 on spray so how do i not know what im talking about ??

Also , Why dont you call Cometic and ask there tech guy if you should spray your gasket or not before you embarrass yourself more...

Have a great day ...

Old 01-14-2020, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

not to get in the middle of you guys, and i appreciate everyone's input. The reason I asked is because my block vendor recommends spraying all layers of the gaskets even when new. so they have alot of experience, as does Langer and Lil Jack. there is probably more than one way to skin a cat. And cometic is not going to recommend drilling the rivots out of their gaskets as one you are more likley to mess something up putting them back on and it also implies the design is flawed.
again thanks for your input everyone

Old 01-14-2020, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
not to get in the middle of you guys, and i appreciate everyone's input. The reason I asked is because my block vendor recommends spraying all layers of the gaskets even when new. so they have alot of experience, as does Langer and Lil Jack. there is probably more than one way to skin a cat. And cometic is not going to recommend drilling the rivots out of their gaskets as one you are more likley to mess something up putting them back on and it also implies the design is flawed.
again thanks for your input everyone
Did you call Cometic about this ?

If Cometic says not to and the block vendor says to . Whos is really right?

Old 01-14-2020, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would say if they are worse for it. It’s not cometics fault. Right? Lots of manufactured parts are better with a few tweaks. I do not know if there is a difference but I just might try it. The last set went on dry. I’ll have a true a b first hand experience

Old 01-14-2020, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I dont have a 6 cylinder . I have a 4 cylinder. Its half of a 389 v 8 engine . Im making 900 hp with 4 cylinders . Why would it not be apples to apples?? What does half of your motor make?? Its the same as half of YOUR engine but with a smaller bore and stroke. Theres alot going on in my cylinders. My head gasket would fit your engine . Its the same thing ..

I have a 461 on spray so how do i not know what im talking about ??

Also , Why dont you call Cometic and ask there tech guy if you should spray your gasket or not before you embarrass yourself more...

Have a great day ...
Anyone making 1800HP with a 389 ? Kinda the same thing.
I have a question about your 4 cylinder. Are the cranks standard cranks with some sort of spacer where the other rod would go or are the cranks made for one rod journal only ?

Old 01-14-2020, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Anyone making 1800HP with a 389 ? Kinda the same thing.
I have a question about your 4 cylinder. Are the cranks standard cranks with some sort of spacer where the other rod would go or are the cranks made for one rod journal only ?
They are a 180 degree flat crankshaft with 1 journal per cyl..

If you want i can text you a picture of one .

Old 01-14-2020, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
They are a 180 degree flat crankshaft with 1 journal per cyl..

If you want i can text you a picture of one .
Sure, I like to see it. 900HP out of 4 cylinders is actually amazing. Marty P was getting 1600HP out of his twin turbo 400. Not 1800 so 900 out of a 4banger is no small feat.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
I would say if they are worse for it. It’s not cometics fault. Right? Lots of manufactured parts are better with a few tweaks. I do not know if there is a difference but I just might try it. The last set went on dry. I’ll have a true a b first hand experience
I was not trying to say that i know it all. All i was doing was sharing my own experience with what i have tied that worked and didnt work. In the process of that ive been on the phone with Cometic numerous times to say the least ..Every time they told me no spray. I have had bad isses with head gaskets in the begining of sorting out my engine . I havent had 1 issue in the passed 6 years . If you could imagine what 44 psi could do a gasket then you would agree and say that it would be a good example of a test.. But if you want to pop the rivets on those gaskets then try it . But its not necessary . I found my problem to be in another place..

Good luck . I hope it works for you..

Old 01-14-2020, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Sure, I like to see it. 900HP out of 4 cylinders is actually amazing. Marty P was getting 1600HP out of his twin turbo 400. Not 1800 so 900 out of a 4banger is no small feat.
Shoot me a pm with a number and ill get it over to you..

Old 01-14-2020, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff2 View Post
If you dry deck and use a reverse cooling system, the heads will actually get cooler water running through them, as it's come straight from the radiator and not pre-heated up from the block. If you want cooler running exhaust valves (and who doesn't?), then send your cooled water from the pump into the front of the heads at the exhaust side, (where the core /cup plug is on factory heads) and take it out of the heads at the rear on the exhaust side - this forces the majority of the coolant down the exhaust side water passages.
Can you do this to some benefit without dry decking. I am going to run a wet deck but the block is filled to the top of the pump holes. You would think the water would have less chance to get pre heated on a filled block.