THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to kylek350
Default Open Car Trailer Recommendations

I'm looking at my options for a single-car open trailer. Here's what I have in mind:

- 18'
- Solid or bottom, but leaning solid for versatility.
- Dual axle with brake
- Swing-out or removal fenders
- Provision to add winch in future
- 5' or 6' ramps

I'm debating between flat and dovetail. I've largely ruled out a tilt bed for cost purposes.

I'd like to stay in the $2500-$3000 range if possible.

What brands do you like? How about trailer retailers within 100 miles of Chicago?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1951 Chieftain Deluxe Eight 4-Door Sedan - Saturn Gold, Hydra-Matic - Hibernating since 1969
Old 08-29-2017, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

don't even consider one without a dove tail. as for brands there are lots of nicely built ones, but by far I think the imperial are the rolls Royce of trailers. they are built in Illinois. I have one I have put over a million and a quarter miles on it and it is still being used. they are all square tubing so very strong and very light. get torsion axles with brakes. I always put d rings about every 4' down the sides and ones on each corner. slide in ramps out the rear or you will never fail to need to pull them out and something will be beside you, which will prohibit that. get all led lighting. bulldog hitch, fold away jack, reinforced for a winch, 10 ply tires, greaseable axles, full floor, you will limit your use if you have the open middle. heavy duty safety chains with clips so they don't bounce off. hmmm what have I left off???

Old 08-29-2017, 11:44 PM

Give me a call. I can try to help you out. 740-361-1116

Old 08-30-2017, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an Econo Trailer made in Claysburg, PA & I think it's the 4th or 5th one I've had.

http://www.econotrailer.com/

18', open deck (I have used it like a lift at the track) made my own winch reciever but I'm sure they could have done it too.

They are inexpensive but built very well (I'm not easy on my stuff) and every time I've gone to sell them I got almost what I paid for them back.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4180 (1280x960).jpg
Views:	365
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	462304  

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 08-30-2017, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do go with 6 foot ramps. You'll be glad you did.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You definitely won't get alum for $3k. A good steel deck will go nearly that.

There are several trailer builders in Northeast TX. Big Tex is one of the big names. They have a steel bed 70DM-18'. There are probably some dealers in your area. May be other brands which were made closer to you that are cheaper.

http://bigtextrailers.com/70dm-tande...ck-car-hauler/

http://bigtextrailers.com/locate-a-dealer/

Old 08-30-2017, 02:35 PM

I have 19 Foot Imperial trailer. The deck is 14 feet with a 5 foot dovetail.
Excellent trailer.
Towed my car 1,650 miles one way to the POCI convention at Texas Motor Speedway in Dallas / Ft Worth. (2017)
The only negative is probably the weight of a steel deck trailer.
I tow with a 2016 Silverado with the 5.3 engine which has no problem pulling the a loaded trailer.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Senior Chief

To replace my Featherlite 3110 it would cost approx $7300.00 that is bare without the air dam , tool box, winch, etc. There are several great brands of aluminum trailers if you can spend the extra money. Featherlite, Aluma-lite, Imperial, not sure if ATC makes an open or not but they are also one of the best these days!These days pretty much all trailers have 4 wheel brakes. There are a million companies that sell steel trailers out there!

Stay away from a trailer with leaf springs! Stay with the Torflex style suspension. Leaf springs are a sure sign it is a cheapo trailer! Torflex by Dexter rides the best & lasts way longer than you will ever use it. I replaced my axles after 1.1 million miles on the trailer & when I did I upgraded to the 6 lug #5200 lbs axles. Not that I was going to haul anything heavier than what I do, but the brakes are 12x2 instead of 10x2 inches & now the wheels & tires match the enclosed trailer, in case of emergency!

Just for comparison, my Feathelite 3110 wieghs #1475lbs from the factory & is 20ft overall length.

God Bless
Bill Squires(owner)
Bill's Auto Works
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170824_122151220_HDR (640x360).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	462320  

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster

Last edited by Bills Auto Works; 08-30-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an 18' Big Tex trailer it has a dovetail and full deck it's the best towing trailer I have ever had was 3500.00 new but I did put on radials go up one tire size

1931 Pontiac 5 window coupe OHC6 powered
2015 GMC Yukon SLT
Old 08-30-2017, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a 19' I have. Rated at 8K with brakes on both axles. I added 10 more recessed tie down rings, two tool boxes and an electric winch. It's been all over N.C. and to upstate New York and back trouble free. I made the front deflector too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF5510.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	462325   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer w buick.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	462326  

Old 08-30-2017, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Listen to me ! I bought this trailer in 1991. 18' solid metal deck, 4' dove, 5' ramps.
3 people can push a 3500# car on it with ease. I drove.
I wish it had the stake pockets on the sides to add side boards for misc. hauling.
I'ts a keeper !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3192.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	462329  

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"

Last edited by Old Goat Racer; 08-30-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used Bri-Mar trailers. While they appear to be built well, their resistance to rust and corrosion is not stellar. They are powder coated, and once that surface is chipped, or otherwise compromised, the rust just creeps under it until in a couple of years it's a total mess. I would look for a painted trailer if buying a steel unit.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 08-30-2017, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I intended to say in my earlier post that I paid 3200 for mine.
When checking out trailers, also bend down and take a look underneath. See how far apart the cross supports are, how neatly the wiring is run and protected, and see if it's painted or bare/rusty underneath. I found that not all trailer frames are painted underneath!
Another plus, a 3 piece tongue has a center bar that extends from the hitch point to the middle of the deck. That adds strength and stability.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:04 AM
Senior Chief

Ordered my custom 20' in April and had it the first week of May. 20' 10k gvw. 16' flat deck with 4' dovetail. 6' ramps. Drivers side fender is removable as well. It was $3200 after taxes, tags, notary fees. Got it from a place in Middletown, PA (near TMI). It pulls very nice as well. With the 6' ramps and 4' dovetail i can load the 47 Ford on it without scraping the bottom of it on other trailers I've borrowed. I also use it to work on the cars as it's nicer then my crumbling driveway.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 08-31-2017, 06:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://www.johnstrailersales.com/co.../middlebury-in

Advertises lowest prices in US. Exit 101 on the Indiana Toll road.

I have an 18' US Cargo, built by Forest River, in Bristol IN. It's probably 16 years old, has done everything I've asked it to, with a minimum of repairs, I think a couple of sets of tires. Dovetail, slide in ramps, powder coated frame, been a great trailer.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

H and H speed loader....by now you can get one for 3k..they tilt....no ramps no bull crap...if you find one and play with it, you will never even consider anything with ramps again.. i can pull up..tilt the bed, drive or pull the car up with a winch and be gone in less than 10 minutes...soooo easy to get spoiled with it..thats for sure..ive sold 15 for H and H by just using it around my friends and at work...not as a salesman..but as a user, and once they see it work..they flock to it...and every single person thats ever seen me load a car is fascinated and it makes a conversation just about the trailer...they love it

i paid 3500 for mine it was 2 years old...ive hauled more than 700 cars across the country...from 240z's to f250s....and the most awesome trailer ive ever owned...and ive had 9..i wear trailers out...literally..and this one i have now, ive had for 12 years..and except for being a little ugly..its performed flawlessly...

mines like this, but i have elec over hydraulic on the tilt..it has a battery under the deck...you dont want the manual hand pump...it suuuucks...and theres a bunch of options...my ram works both ways..it pushes up, and pulls down...

not one time in 12 years, have i ever said "i wish i could pull the fenders off" on flats i can open the doors..so its never been an issue for me..and i pull stuff out ditches...no joke..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1su3XTO3k

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 08-31-2017, 10:50 PM
Senior Chief

When ever I need an open trailer I go to the local Uhaul and pick out the best(recently serviced) and newest AT they have. I find they are well built and tow nicely. They are usually able to discount the rental if its more than 3 days. We never worry about storing it at home or disappearing from a hotel parking lot.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:38 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
H and H speed loader....by now you can get one for 3k..they tilt....no ramps no bull crap...if you find one and play with it, you will never even consider anything with ramps again.. i can pull up..tilt the bed, drive or pull the car up with a winch and be gone in less than 10 minutes...soooo easy to get spoiled with it..thats for sure..ive sold 15 for H and H by just using it around my friends and at work...not as a salesman..but as a user, and once they see it work..they flock to it...and every single person thats ever seen me load a car is fascinated and it makes a conversation just about the trailer...they love it

i paid 3500 for mine it was 2 years old...ive hauled more than 700 cars across the country...from 240z's to f250s....and the most awesome trailer ive ever owned...and ive had 9..i wear trailers out...literally..and this one i have now, ive had for 12 years..and except for being a little ugly..its performed flawlessly...

mines like this, but i have elec over hydraulic on the tilt..it has a battery under the deck...you dont want the manual hand pump...it suuuucks...and theres a bunch of options...my ram works both ways..it pushes up, and pulls down...

not one time in 12 years, have i ever said "i wish i could pull the fenders off" on flats i can open the doors..so its never been an issue for me..and i pull stuff out ditches...no joke..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1su3XTO3k
Mark,
That trailer in that video is now $2700 at that place. I was at that exact dealership several months ago looking at the 18' H&H tilt trailers as that price point is what I wanted and they are a half hour away from me. However, after seeing in the air, I said no way I could get the Ford on there (The Yellow car above, notice how low the front clip is). Guy said no problem. I went home and got the Ford and tried it. No dice. The bumper scraped. Positioned the trailer so the tongue was on much lower ground then the back of the trailer and still scraped, behind the tires this time. Didn't even get all 4 tires on it. Tried the 20' tilt and it scraped behind the front tires on level ground. Parked it downhill like the 18' and was able to get it on, but then I couldn't open the door. I quickly realized that a 24' tilt was out of my price range and were disappointed I wouldn't buy one of those. I'm grateful for the time they took with me though.
That's when I went somewhere else and had that trailer built for me for cheaper then the H&H and I don't have to worry about the car bottoming out. Even though the fender can come off, if you look closely at the pic it the door will clear the fender. Just relaying my real world experience with that trailer at that dealer in the vid you posted.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 09-01-2017, 10:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to kylek350

Thanks, everyone, for the great information! This has been really educational!

• 1951 Chieftain Deluxe Eight 4-Door Sedan - Saturn Gold, Hydra-Matic - Hibernating since 1969
Old 09-01-2017, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine is a 2001 Falcon wood deck, no beaver tail. It's old, has leaf springs, and the fenders are mounted solid. It gets the job done though. I've been thinking it's time to upgrade, and I'd really like a steel deck with lots of tie down points.

Here's a pic:

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National