Old 05-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ram Air IV head bolts

Anybody have or use the new ram air 4 head bolts yet - i bought a set and the seem to be the right length but they do not have the shoulder under the hex head to keep them straight in the hole like the original. They walk around a bit until you get them tight - should i be concerned. They came from parts place and i hear ames has the same ones.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink John...

we have a set on Kevin's RAIV, but have not run the engine yet. I don't forsee any issues, but I'd hate to be the one that finds out, so let us know how yours do, OK? lol Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think i want to chance it - the shoulder aligns the top of the bolt in the hole - with out it they are all over the place. The bolt also has a built in machined surface at the bottom of the hex - typical of bolts so that the hex does not dig into the mating surface and while the new bolts have it the hex corners are formed over this detail and the bolt hex head dig into the metal. Just not like the originals. Anybody run an engine with these bolts in it. Thats all i need a head gasket problem to add to all the others.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

no washers? try using washers from ARP may not be correct but no shoulder issues. i would put a dab of antiseeze or something under the head of the bolts to reduce friction. i have an original set of IV head bolts somewhere but i will need them

AC Cobra Kit Car 521 670 HP/715 Trq
LOOKING FOR V PARTS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My brother has them on his 69 Ram Air 4,and it survived the break in,and dyno time,so all looks good.I will be using them also in the next two weeks.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Thanx, JG....

good enough for me! I doubt we'll punish anything any harder than you guys do! lol Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.