Old 03-23-2019, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know why you people insist on bad mouthing the 301. I worked for Pontiac when they came out and we had zero problems with them. Granted they don't make a lot of power but they were not meant to. They were designed for better gas mileage and compared to the 400 got much better. One of the other mechanics bought a new 1977 GP w/o AC and got 26mpg on a long highway trip. I installed one from a wrecked TA in my 1961 Chevy PU and towed a 24 foot camper with no trouble. They did exactly what they were designed to do.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ryder View Post
Carmine, the link worked for me.

"Bill"!
Yup, it worked for me when I did it right. Not too good with some of this stuff at times, Carmine.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:41 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
I don't know why you people insist on bad mouthing the 301. I worked for Pontiac when they came out and we had zero problems with them.
As a person with first hand knowledge I am going to say this is bull. That is the same answer Chrysler dealers were saying about the 2.7L and that turned out to be the kiss of death in any Chrysler product.

NOW > TRIPOWERS

Old 03-23-2019, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
Hi everyone. Couldn't find an answer to this, so I'm asking here. Will a '65 tripower fit a '66 and later engine??? If so, how much later?? Is there much difference, if any, between the '65 and '66 tripowers?? Thank you, Carmine.
Don't know where your starting point is (Do you have any tripower manifold? Do you have a specific year engine you are using?, etc, etc)

In any case, a 65 or 66 tripower manifold will not fit on an engine that has a regular sized HEI distributor (without trimming the manifold).

The thermostat housing on a 65-66 tripower manifold will not clear the timing cover on some later engines (The "dimple" on the cover is too small.)

The location of the valley pan pcv fitting on later (68 and up??) is toward the front of the pan and will not clear a tripower manifold. An earlier pan has the fitting on the rear of it.

The center carb on a 65 is a Size 2 and the center on a 66 is a Size 3 carb. End carbs on both are Size 3. (The "Size" refers to the spacing of the base flange mounting holes.)

The recent post by "b-man" has excellent pictures of different year tripower manifolds.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No, I don't have an engine yet and I don't even have a car. I'm looking ahead to the future. Depending on the day of the week, I would like very much to own a '65 or '66 GTO. Preferably a '66. If it doesn't come with a tripower, I would like to have one ready for it. I see there are many out there and I just wanted to make sure whatever I buy, will fit. Besides, I like to tinker with things myself so I would probably rebuild it. I have no car purchase lined up at the moment, but I can be a spontaneous SOB at times. Just trying to gather up all the info I can for time being, Carmine.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Don't know where your starting point is (Do you have any tripower manifold? Do you have a specific year engine you are using?, etc, etc)

In any case, a 65 or 66 tripower manifold will not fit on an engine that has a regular sized HEI distributor (without trimming the manifold).

The thermostat housing on a 65-66 tripower manifold will not clear the timing cover on some later engines (The "dimple" on the cover is too small.)

The location of the valley pan pcv fitting on later (68 and up??) is toward the front of the pan and will not clear a tripower manifold. An earlier pan has the fitting on the rear of it.

The center carb on a 65 is a Size 2 and the center on a 66 is a Size 3 carb. End carbs on both are Size 3. (The "Size" refers to the spacing of the base flange mounting holes.)

The recent post by "b-man" has excellent pictures of different year tripower manifolds.
I have a 65 tri-power on a 1969 428 engine with the opening for the PCV grommet/valve in the front of the valley pan. It’s a tight fit for the PCV hose but it will fit. If I had a valley pan with the PCV located in the rear I’d use it because it makes for a cleaner look because the PCV hose is shorter.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:59 PM

Default Me Badwrench

Using a 66 carb on a 65 intake would require an adapter. That would screw up the linkage. If you get a center carb, make sure it is correct and not a Chevy. They look very similar but the correct one is internally bigger and better.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:13 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwadsworth View Post
Using a 66 carb on a 65 intake would require an adapter. That would screw up the linkage. If you get a center carb, make sure it is correct and not a Chevy. They look very similar but the correct one is internally bigger and better.
Throttle Base on the 66 carb has larger throttle blades but the venturi (which sets the airflow is actually smaller) 1-3/16", vs the smaller Throttle Base and throttle blades (earlier GTO and 421 carbs) which have a 1-1/4" venturi.

Tom V.

ps A Holley #4412 2-BBL carb for comparison has the same Throttle Blades as the Pontiac End Tri-Power carbs but the Venturi is 1-3/8" in size, a full 1/8" larger vs the Rochester Carbs. 350 actual cfm per carb (rated like a 4 BBL) so a 1050 cfm set-up vs a 750 cfm Rochester factory set-up.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 04-10-2019 at 05:19 PM.