Old 06-22-2019, 06:11 PM

Default Stuck Control Arms

I have never had this happen and should have delt with it when I found it...but...I didn't. Sooo. The control arms are frozen so I assume the bushings are stuck. They are "new" bushing, but I am guessing at least 10 years old. I brought the car home in several trips but everything was rebuilt when I bought it...ready to finish body, paint and put it back together. I attached a pic of how it was when I picked it up and now. You can see that the jack is under the control arm and it is lifted off of the jack stand. Both sides are the same...no give. Now...I assume it is the control arm bushings but does anyone have any thoughts on freeing them up? At one point I did have the bolts loosned up but still no movement with the motor, front end and almost 500 lbs jumping on the frame horns. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20190622_16_42_37_Pro.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	514620   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160815_163544.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	514621  

Old 06-22-2019, 06:22 PM
Senior Chief

Is the engine in the car? Are you trying to remove the arm or is the front end just sitting too high? If the front is just sitting too high maybe you just have the wrong springs?

Old 06-22-2019, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

try removing the end links for the sway bar and try again. That will remove some of the tension, Otherwise I would pop the top ball joint loose and that will tell you if top/vs bottom control arm if stuck.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:01 PM

ID67...the front end sits at the top of the suspension travel...tires about 6" below the bottom of the fender. Everything is on except the grill and the bumper. with the front end on jackstands, I can put the jack under the control arm and lift it off the jackstand with no movement.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:05 PM

DOC...I'll try the sway bar...I'm thinking that I will be taking the control arms off and re do the bushings..

Old 06-23-2019, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As mentioned, I'd definitely pop the top ball joint off as a next step. It's relatively easy because it's not under load. You should be able to move it up and down with little effort after detaching it from the spindle, and if not replace those bushings first.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the responses! I found the problem...the front springs are the issue. They were new...supposed to be for a 64 GTO w/air. I took those out today and the control arms work just fine.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had the same problem with my 64, standard springs, MOOG I think. Had to take them out and cut 1 coil off them to make everything work. Car sits and rides great now. Still good after 12 years.