Old 06-02-2019, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Concours correct engine brackets/straps...pulley colors, etc. for 1967 GTO 400

Just making sure that the alternator, power steering and other accessory mounting brackets/straps were ALL painted black at the factory...or were some left natural steel?

I also assume all the aluminum brackets were left natural, but want to run it by the experts on this forum before final assembly. I plan to bead blast the aluminum parts then clear coat them with a satin finish for protection.

How about the various pulleys? Which pulleys were painted (and with what colors) and which ones (if any) were left natural steel color from the factory?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:52 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6d7gto View Post
Just making sure that the alternator, power steering and other accessory mounting brackets/straps were ALL painted black at the factory...or were some left natural steel?

I also assume all the aluminum brackets were left natural, but want to run it by the experts on this forum before final assembly. I plan to bead blast the aluminum parts then clear coat them with a satin finish for protection.

How about the various pulleys? Which pulleys were painted (and with what colors) and which ones (if any) were left natural steel color from the factory?

Thanks in advance.
I am certainly no expert, but I have found this older thread that may be of some use to you:
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...hlight=pulleys

Also, the Paul Zazarine Restoration Guide has many references to the colors of brackets and pulleys, but folks on this forum say not to take those as "gospel" because there could be plant to plant variations not documented there.
Good Luck

Muncie 4 speed (orginally an automatic car)
Old 06-05-2019, 02:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwmlp View Post
I am certainly no expert, but I have found this older thread that may be of some use to you:
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...hlight=pulleys

Also, the Paul Zazarine Restoration Guide has many references to the colors of brackets and pulleys, but folks on this forum say not to take those as "gospel" because there could be plant to plant variations not documented there.
Good Luck
Thanks for the tip. Found out several things from the link you posted.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6d7gto View Post

Okay, steel straps/brackets were painted black according to several sources. Anyone know the definitive answer for pulleys...or if any aluminum brackets got painted during assembly?

Old 06-14-2019, 06:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Technically the brackets were dipped in paint
Water pump pulley should be plated if it's a factory AC car , painted if not

Old 06-14-2019, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine is factory AC car, pulleys were always black.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Might be plant specific or build date specific? Nothing seemed to be carved in stone back then. Mine is non factory air so probably safe to paint the pulley(s) black. However, found out the lower pulley (mounted inside the balancer assembly) just might have been left natural on all 400's regardless of a/c or no a/c.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully more folks will respond. Especially points guys and/or judges for concours GTO's.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:56 AM
Senior Chief

That link is one of the reasons that I seldom answer questions anymore.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's some pics of the water pump pulley from my survivor '67 with A/C, Pontiac built car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7276.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	514430   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7277.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	514431  

1967 Firebird 400 bench seat, deluxe interior, auto
1965 GTO 462, KRE unported D-port heads, Bullet 234/244 cam, th400, tight 10" converter, 3.73 gears, 87 octane, 3440 lbs. empty,1.59 60ft, 7.159@95.33 (1/8), a real daily driver, been totaled, rolled 3 times, hit a tree airborne.
1961 Catalina 2 door htp
1960 Ventura 4 door htp wife's car
1960 B'ville 2 door htp
1960 Catalina Wagon wife's car too
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducks Goat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 02:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks Goat View Post
Here's some pics of the water pump pulley from my survivor '67 with A/C, Pontiac built car.
Thanks for your input. As they say, picture's worth a thousand words. You can even see the part number stamped into it...awesome!

Old 03-10-2024, 12:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Detailing my engine brackets and pulleys now.
I always thought The water pump pulley on AC cars were plated and the crank pulleys we’re painted blue while on the engine.
This latest restoration I am doing is on an original 32k mile car with AC. The crank pulley looks like it’s pleated and the upper water pump pulley looks to be painted black
The exact opposite of what I always read.
Has anyone else seen this opposite combo before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2658B4FF-2C82-40CA-AFF9-515FF533FEAC.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	630151  

The Following User Says Thank You to RedDirtRoad For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDirtRoad View Post
Detailing my engine brackets and pulleys now.
I always thought The water pump pulley on AC cars were plated and the crank pulleys we’re painted blue while on the engine.
This latest restoration I am doing is on an original 32k mile car with AC. The crank pulley looks like it’s pleated and the upper water pump pulley looks to be painted black
The exact opposite of what I always read.
Has anyone else seen this opposite combo before?
What am I missing here?

An “Original 32K mile car” is getting restored.
Was this low mile car thrashed or wrecked to be getting a restoration?
I would think an Original car would show what colors are on the pulleys.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 60sstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hello Chris. My 64 had 28900 when I bought it. Someone DID NOT LIKE nocturne blue and had painted it a nice white. SH** happens!!! I could not believe it either!!!

"Bill"!

The Following User Says Thank You to bill ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 06:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The car was not thrashed or wrecked. Some one put a poor red paint job on the car at some point.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=866501

57 year old car that has been in a garage since 2006. Doing a ground up restoration like the previous cars I have done on my other treads.
I like to return this car to its former glory.

The Following User Says Thank You to RedDirtRoad For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDirtRoad View Post
The car was not thrashed or wrecked. Some one put a poor red paint job on the car at some point.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=866501

57 year old car that has been in a garage since 2006. Doing a ground up restoration like the previous cars I have done on my other treads.
I like to return this car to its former glory.
Now that is good to hear.
Thanks.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.