Old 06-23-2019, 11:53 AM

Default 1966 GTO 389 YS STORY AND BUILD ADVICE

A couple of months ago I was searching my local Craigslist for Pontiac parts as I usually do and ran across a listing for a Pontiac engine block for sale for $100.00. It caught my interest as I am looking to swap out the 326 engine for a larger motor in my project 64 Lemans Convertible. Clicked on it and all it showed was a picture of a block in a large wooden crate. I called the guy to see if he still had it and get a few details. He said he had it but did not know much about it as it was something he had collected over the years from someone.

So I made arrangements to check it out. To my surprise not only was there a Pontiac block but there were oil pumps, pistons, a cam shaft, a crank shaft, and a pair of cylinder heads laying in the crate too. After a few minutes I got some id information off the parts and ltd. the guy I would let him know. With the information in hand I found out that the block was a late 65 dated 66 YS 389 with the original crank, pistons, cam, and 093 heads!
I tried not to appear too excited and knowing that the engine had been sitting apart for years raised caution about why it was torn apart and had been left sitting. I told the guy I was interested in everything, but hesitant not knowing the condition. I said I would take a chance and we made a deal, everything for $200.

The next order of business was to have the engine block checked out. I have been in the Pontiac hobby for over 20 years and I don’t know about your area, but in Orlando Florida I have yet to hear about a good Pontiac engine shop. I asked around and was recommended to a guy just 3 miles from my house so I loaded up the block and took it him.

Much to my surprise again, I learned he was restoring a 66 Lemans and was building himself a monster 400 for his car. I told him I wanted the block checked out. A week or so later he told me the block was good and in fact had never ever been bored out. He said the cylinder walls just need honed. I then took him the crank and pistons to check. Again he said the crank was good and just polished the journals. He ran into a small problem with the pistons and cannot get the old rings out on several of the pistons. He is recommending new pistons.

My question is what kind of pistons should I purchase? Stock bore, .10, or .20 over? I want to build a basically stock motor for street driving. Also which cam should I consider? A stock 067 grind or maybe a 068? I have not decided as to what stock intake to use, a 4bbl or a tri-power. I have a friend, who has both a 66 4bbl and a 66 tri-power intake he will sell me. The carbs on the tri power intake are not correct and I am not sure I want to go to that expense. Your input, opinions, advice and experience are appreciated.

I have not had the heads checked yet but that will happen soon. I will update as things progress.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not everyone is old and needs 2 grade size block letters.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That hurts the eyes.

If it's ok and still stock keep it that way. Why do the added expense of boring it out.

Personally a 4bbl is good enough. If the tri-power isn't correct... again, why the added expense.

I have a good Carter AFB "Competition Series" I could part with it if you're interested. It's built by Weber and has an electric choke on it. I have one on my 66 now with a manual choke and wouldn't use any other brand. So I don't really have to sell it. Send me a PM if you are really interested..... if not, don't bother.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.