Old 06-30-2019, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default P/S leak at the gear box

Hi, put in a new steering box with the flared fittings...…….seems like I have a leak with the pressure hose at the box...…...tried the tighten & loosen game quite a few times, still leaking.

Was thinking of trying a new hose, any other ideas...…….im not even sure where I got this hose from, been about 10-12 yrs old, thinking maybe napa.

Took some sloppy pics as usual, maybe you guys can see something wrong with this set-up.

Now I do have some mis-matched parts here, the steering box is from a 70-76, the alternator deal is 67 and up, my car is a 66. Should be a snap for you guys. lol

Thanks

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power steering hose (1).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	515125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power steering hose (2).jpg
Views:	109
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	515126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power steering hose (3).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	515127  

Old 07-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Was looking at the ames catalog, seems their 66 looks a lot different than mine, was wondering if anyone with a 66 could post a pic of there pressure line, would like to see how this would hook up compared to mine.

Thanks

Rich

Old 07-02-2019, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the exact problem. Turns out I wasn't tightening it enough. I had a weasel a cheater bar into position, and that took care of it.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sometimes the flares crack and leak, I've seen that in 50 years of wrenching. Remove the fitting and do an examination of the flare to see if it has a crack in the bell portion of it. That's where it seats in the box and the critical portion of the fitting are the two angled seats. While you're looking make sure there isn't anything on the seat of the casting. Just takes a small piece of dirt/metal etc. to cause a leak.

If you have to tighten it with a cheater bar to get it to stop leaking there is something wrong with the connection. A properly flared fitting doesn't require that much torque to seal, and the seating of both surfaces together just need to fit together properly to maintain a leak free connection.

I worked on hydraulically operated aerial lifts as well as forklifts for many years as well as in the automotive field, when a flared connection doesn't seal you need to find the reason for the leak as many times it will fail down the road. I've found the most common cause is cracked flares, metal shavings, or dirt on the mating surfaces.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-03-2019, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, thanks guys, bought a 66 new hose, yesterday no leak, today after driving a hour or so, looks like one drop...…….gonna drive it a few more times before doing anything else.

Doing some checking seems I have a 67 p/s pump, also a 67 & up alternator bracket, but I also bought a 67 hose and tried that, the bend is quite a bit different than the 66 hose, it was almost touching the headers, so I used the 66 hose, close, but that is the way it looked for the past 20 yrs, so I assume im good to go.

Just wondering if I could use the 66 p/s pump, seems the only difference from pics is the return hose is much longer than the 66...…...also if anyone with a 66, could you post a pic of how you have your hoses routed.

Thanks

Rich

Old 07-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Forgot to mention, ive always had a screeching noise with the old box/p/s pump when turning the wheel all the way one way or the other...………..still does this now, but very small squeal.

Would this be the steering box, p/s pump or the belts perhaps.

Rich

Old 07-03-2019, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

More than likely the belt isn't tight enough, you need to use a pry bar or a large screwdriver on the tab that sticks out on the front bracket to tighten it. Whatever you do don't pry on the tin reservoir or you'll more than likely punch a hole through it, seen it happen more than once.

If tightening doesn't get rid of the squeal replacing the belt would be next, running the belt too loose glazes it and wears it out faster than normal.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated