Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 07-03-2019, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Front springs

Hi, have all new parts for the front end except the upper control arms, still trying to figure out which way I want to go with them.

Like the stance I have now, measured them today as per manual, D/S front 9" P/S front 8 1/2.…………...rears were 11 1/4....Have one of those coil spring blocks on the D/S. so maybe that's making it 9".

Anyways, seems everyone that gets the stocks springs, the car sits too high in front, was wondering to save some time and my summer driving time, would I be ok with ordering springs 1" lower than stock...………….never did this before and don't want to play the lets try this 3-4 times to get it right game.

I know these front springs are at least 20 yrs old, that's as long as ive owned the car.

Forgot to mention, I have alum heads, alum manifold, alum radiator.

Thanks for any help

Rich

Old 07-03-2019, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From the factory, these cars sat lower in the rear. That's what stock springs are supposed to do.

As you have the aluminum heads, manifold and radiator, I would at least go to a 1" front drop spring if your intention is to run a stock rear spring. A 2" drop front spring might be a better answer.

This is coming from a guy that did a 3 year frame off resto on a '64 GTO and put stock springs in front and rear. Replaced the rear springs with a pair of custom made coils 3 months later to raise the rear end of my convertible. Just didn't like the look of the rear end being lower even though that's how the factory built the cars.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the hotchkiss two inch lowering springs on the front and back of my Tempest when I got it. It was all stock so it sat I guess the way it was supposed to, it looked really good. Now I am putting a 455 with all aluminum top end and aluminum radiator and all the goodies so I left the springs in the front cause I figured it would come up some and bought stock AC Delco springs for the rear. If it’s too much of a stink bug stance once it’s all together I will order the one inch lower hotchkiss for the rear. The great thing about the quick performance 9 inch rear is no spring clamps so if you don’t like a spring you just undo the shock and slip them off the little towers that keep them in place. 30 minute job

Old 07-04-2019, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, thanks for the tips guys, I know for the rear stock height is 9"...……..im not sure what springs I have in the rear now, but they measure 11 1/4 at the bottom of the trim.

Just so I have this straight in my head, if stock is supposed to be 9.5 in front and I go 2" lower, im sitting at 7.5"...………...right now im at 8.5" on one side at least. lol

Rich