Old 07-09-2019, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '71 GT-37 Journey Begins...Continued

Since I can't open half of the threads on this website since last week sometime, I decided to start another one to see if this will work...Does anyone know of any fixes or settings to access preexisting threads???

Thanks for posting Mike, it's good to hear from you with some more of the GT-37's history. I didn't know the original owner ordered the car and tried to get it with the rear wing from the factory. For some reason I thought it was a dealer ordered car for the showroom...hazy memory I guess. Did you also replace the hood at some point as well? Are the pictures of it in the snow (Rantoul AFB?) taken by you when you bought it?

We got the bad news that the M-13 is not salvageable with excessive rust corrosion at the front of the case for the input and countershaft, so the BW-ST-10 will be installed...kind of a bummer, but the 2.64 first gear will be nice to have. We have to mock-up a new Hurst Comp Plus shifter and installation kit I bought 20 years ago for my former '73 TA to see if that will work, or come close. I'm hoping I don't have to buy new stuff.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gt-37 '88.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	515452   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTresize '88.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	515453  

Old 07-09-2019, 10:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, the original hood was replaced. It was straight, but really rusty. Structurally it was sound and today might have been "savable", but back in the day clean sheetmetal was cheap and readily available. Front valence came off same donor... The original was rust free but smashed badly. All other sheet metal (including bumpers) were on the car when I bought it.

Sorry to hear about the trans. If there is any consolation, the fact that this one has no VIN stamp means a replacement should be easy(er).

Concerning the trans... The picture above with the left front tire up on a snow bank was taken in an auto parts parking lot somewhere in Wyoming. The shifter bolts fell out during my trip home to California on I-80 and this was my parking lot repair.

To be 19 and broke again...

Last edited by 455HOGT37; 07-09-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455HOGT37 View Post
Yes, the original hood was replaced. It was straight, but really rusty. Structurally it was sound and today might have been "savable", but back in the day clean sheetmetal was cheap and readily available. Front valence came off same donor... The original was rust free but smashed badly. All other sheet metal (including bumpers) were on the car when I bought it.

Sorry to hear about the trans. If there is any consolation, the fact that this one has no VIN stamp means a replacement should be easy(er).
Mike, No worries as you mentioned there were issues with the trans when I bought the car form you. I'm just excited to get working on the car finally. I bought the BW 4-speed for another project, but those plans changed and the trans needed a new home now.

Dennis

Old 07-09-2019, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

...and now back to our regular programming...and the original thread.

Dennis