Old 06-14-2018, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wheel Stud Question

Can someone tell me a few things about older car wheel studs? I have a 50 Pontiac and the drivers side wheel studs are left hand thread. Why was that done and when did they stop using them? And, finally, would it be OK to replace them with regular right hand threaded studs?

Old 06-14-2018, 11:02 PM

The idea was they would be less likely to loosen up. I know they still had them in 1961, I think they did it up through 1964. There's no problem in replacing them with right hand thread studs.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a '68 Chrysler 300 back in the '80s that had reverse threads on one side..I wanna say it was the passenger side.. I almost broke my back trying to loosen them until I noticed that little 'L' stamped on the studs..lol
You can definitely replace them. I would.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:57 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I had a '68 Chrysler 300 back in the '80s that had reverse threads on one side..I wanna say it was the passenger side.. I almost broke my back trying to loosen them until I noticed that little 'L' stamped on the studs..lol
You can definitely replace them. I would.
I own a 68 Coronet with the reverse threads. I haven't yet, but I will switch them for regular threads someday.

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 06-15-2018, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
Can someone tell me a few things about older car wheel studs? I have a 50 Pontiac and the drivers side wheel studs are left hand thread. Why was that done and when did they stop using them? And, finally, would it be OK to replace them with regular right hand threaded studs?
1950 Pontiac, you say....

I did that (replaced the studs) on the 1950 Pontiac my brother bought from my dad in 1969.

Pat passed away in 1993 and about 25 years later my sister in law called me and asked me if I wanted the car as her sons both said they didn't want it (she was losing her free storage from a friend of my brother's).

I knew that about the left handed studs, but evidently someone at one time didn't (2 were broken) and I couldn't find any - so I just bought all new ones for that side. - figured it would be better to have all the same vs mix and match on one side.

The car hadn't moved under it's own power since the mid 70's, but with 6 spark plugs, a fan belt and a battery - I got it started on the gas that was in the tank. While driving it to the gas station - I ran out of gas about 50 feet from the gas pump....

After getting it up and running - I talked to my nephew who had told his mom he didn't want it (I think he was afraid of not being able to bring it back to like) - and he agreed that he would take it. He paid me for the parts and had me order some new wide white walls (the tires that were on it scared me to death) so that I could get all the bugs worked out and make it safe to drive.

Before I shipped it from MN to AZ - I took my s-i-l for a cruise one evening. She was so excited to be able to ride in it - it was the vehicle that they had when they got married and she reminisced about driving up the North Shore of Lake Superior on their honeymoon....

Cheryl and her second husband Steve on the night of her "cruise".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steve and Cheryl with the Pontiac.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	485333  

Old 06-15-2018, 07:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Beautiful Green Machine

Never ran into opposite threaded wheel studs. Never. HIS

Old 06-15-2018, 09:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pontiac had LH threads thru 1963, 8 lugs included. 1964 went to all RH on both sides.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
1950 Pontiac, you say....

I did that (replaced the studs) on the 1950 Pontiac my brother bought from my dad in 1969.

Pat passed away in 1993 and about 25 years later my sister in law called me and asked me if I wanted the car as her sons both said they didn't want it (she was losing her free storage from a friend of my brother's).

I knew that about the left handed studs, but evidently someone at one time didn't (2 were broken) and I couldn't find any - so I just bought all new ones for that side. - figured it would be better to have all the same vs mix and match on one side.

The car hadn't moved under it's own power since the mid 70's, but with 6 spark plugs, a fan belt and a battery - I got it started on the gas that was in the tank. While driving it to the gas station - I ran out of gas about 50 feet from the gas pump....

After getting it up and running - I talked to my nephew who had told his mom he didn't want it (I think he was afraid of not being able to bring it back to like) - and he agreed that he would take it. He paid me for the parts and had me order some new wide white walls (the tires that were on it scared me to death) so that I could get all the bugs worked out and make it safe to drive.

Before I shipped it from MN to AZ - I took my s-i-l for a cruise one evening. She was so excited to be able to ride in it - it was the vehicle that they had when they got married and she reminisced about driving up the North Shore of Lake Superior on their honeymoon....

Cheryl and her second husband Steve on the night of her "cruise".
Mine doesn't look anywhere near that nice. I bought some cheapo tires and put them on some later model Ford 5X5 rims then put two on the drivers side to see what the car would look like. The beauty rings were in the trunk when I got the car so I polished them a little and stuck them on.
I am thinking about lowering the front 2"s and dropping the back 1".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new tires 4aa.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	485396