Old 10-11-2020, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Sword stripes

My 72 Lemans originally came with white D98 sword stripes on sides. Is this the solid side decal and does the nine stripe with eight translucent stripe only go on a GTO?

Old 10-12-2020, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When was your car built?

I believe one difference is the sword stripes were reflective and the 9 pinstripe ones weren't.

I found this in an old thread about the 9 pinstripes

"The last style '72 D98 stripe has been referred to for years as the "sperm whale", or "9 stripe" version for the illusion of a stack of pinstripes, 9 total. This style stripe was the optional style D98 body stripe available on '72 GTO's, and avail on '72 LeMans 2doors when the T41 endura styling option was ordered"

Old 10-13-2020, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

TJ, as a '72 LeMans Sport GT convert (only built In '71 & 72 @ the Pontiac home plant), your 72 was finished in Sundance orange with a black reflective GT stripe. If it was not GT optioned, but just D98 stripe optioned, it should have the sword style stripes with no GT cut outs in the front fender stripes.

In the early 90's, I was the first to commercially reproduce the 71 1/2 GT-37 stripes along with the '72 LeMans GT stripes. For a near decade long period, had contact with a ton of owners of original 9 stripe stripe '72's (they wanted me to reproduce that style stripe pkg). From that experience, & info that has come to light since, the only known LeMans GT's factory built with T41 front end & 9 stripe decals instead of the refective sword style, were a few LeMans GT hardtops built for a small window of time out of the Lakewood assembly plant.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for that info Roger. My '72 is a Lemans sport conv. Not a GT. Built in Oct. '71 I believe. For some reason I thought it was born with white D98 stipes. So you're saying it had the solid black reflective stripe? Mine was built with the T41 front, but I assume that means nothing considering the stripe style? What cars got the nine stripe decal?

Old 10-14-2020, 12:13 AM

In 1972 if you had a non- GT with the optional T41 Endura styling option with optional D98 stripes were ordered it would have been produced with the 9-stripe in white for Sundance Orange. If car was produced with out the T41 Endura styling option if would have had 'sword' style stripe in black for Sundance Orange.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you. That makes sense. So, my car would indeed have been the white nine stripe from the factory.