Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-14-2020, 05:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Gutsram on E Heads mismatch

Just bought some bare E heads and trial fitted my Gutsram to them, there's quite a mismatch and it looks like the Gutsram needs to drop down towards the valley by a fair amount to enable me to line up the port floors and get the bolts in.
Has anyone else used this combo and how much did you have to cut off the manifold flanges? Just to give me a rough idea where to start , my measurements say around .060" (0.030" each side) plus the thickness of the manifold gaskets. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wenzler Eheads.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	551366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wenzler Eheads8.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	551367  

Old 10-14-2020, 06:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just put any known thickness gasket that you have on one side and check to see how much higher it displaces the Intake/ floor alignment.

Once you know that number you then in turn also know how much to wack off of each side of the manifold to get it lowered and lined up.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 10-14-2020, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you sure the manifold is not hitting the valley pan. Remove the valley pan, install the manifold see where is sits. Two gaskets are around .060

Old 10-14-2020, 09:33 AM
Senior Chief

Do you have the head gaskets on for test fit?

Old 10-14-2020, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had to mill .120 off my Gutsram to fit 345cfm Eheads that have a port opening 2.500x 1.200. I also had to fill the side of the ports with epoxy. You will also have to drill the outer bolt holes as the Gutsram is made for wide ports. On my combo I saw zero difference between the original Wenzler TR and Gutsram.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6

Last edited by Mike Davis; 10-14-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:03 AM
Boost Engineer

I have an "original" and for the port size I use, it fits well with minor machining.

The "Gutsram" is a good intake for the Butler Wide Port Heads but still needs a bunch
of work. It gives you a starting point for intake mods. Lots of other mods required but
still much cheaper vs a fabricated intake or a general class or racing where a fabricated intake is not allowed. Larry deserves credit for giving us a "starting point" with minimal cost.

Tom V.

Expect a bunch of rework Taff2

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes .050" head gaskets were fitted, yes the manifold flanges did hit the valley pan, yes I know I have to drill the heads for the outer manifold bolts.
I also tried it with .048" intake gaskets.
My rough initial measurements were worked out by measuring across the fitted heads from the bottom edge of one intake port to the bottom edge of the opposite intake port, and then taking the same measurement across the manifold faces at the bottom edge of the ports(with a tape measure). The difference in the measurements was 1/16".
So I figured that I would need to cut that amount - .0625", plus the thickness of two intake gaskets at .096" = .127" then divide that by 2. So an approx .065" cut off each side. That didn't seem like enough of a cut, hence my question.
I'll cross reference this against Steve25's method as I never thought of that way.
Yeah Tom tell me about it, took me ages to smooth out the ports and radius the port dividers and pent floor, then drill the injector bungs, then the adapter plate for the plenum box - by this time I was wishing I'd gone for a Victor and 90 degree elbow/throttle body! Thanks to all.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:34 AM
Boost Engineer

Yes a Victor EFI with a good 90 degree elbow/throttle body would have saved a lot of work but without building one, how would you know how well it works vs the "easier intakes".

The Warrior lower Tunnel Ram intake/LS EFI intake /Plenum I did was a bunch of work but at the end of the day I will have a good "piece of actual data" vs an "opinion" on how it worked on my engine. Hang in there. Same deal with the modded M/T Cross Ram that will have at some point EFI on it with 4 Throttle Bodies (One 2 BBL throttle body feeding one pair of cylinders). Almost like a 4 Weber carb system but with EFI and longer (street length) runners.

The "F*rd Engineers" do put those longer runner intakes on their engines FOR A REASON.

Tom V.

This is the RACE section and I answered TAFF2 on his race intake.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I've gone too far to go back now. Tom. As tall as this Gutsram set up looks-it's actually about 2" lower than my previous Offy 360 dual quad/ twin Holley's/ plenum box!

Old 10-18-2020, 11:45 AM
Boost Engineer

I think you will be just fine with your Intake set-up and having the two throttle bodies, discharge the air from the turbos into the intake (across from each other) is a great design which we used on Marty Palbykins 6 second 406 cid pontiac engine.

EXCEPT you have a better runner vs the old Edelbrock SB Chevy runners we used in his intake many many years ago.

Position the throttle bodies so the blades either swing up to full open or down to full open but the should be opposite of each other and not where you would get a circular "swirl" inside the plenum at part throttle due to the throttle bodies.

That Palbykin fabricated intake allowed 1.0 60 ft times in his PRO MOD 70 GTO Chassis with the 406 Pontiac engine and people can still see the car leaves very well in Big Chiefs TV show. The car was a 5 second car with the BAE blown engine.

Tom V.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:01 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I have an "original" and for the port size I use, it fits well with minor machining.

The "Gutsram" is a good intake for the Butler Wide Port Heads but still needs a bunch
of work. It gives you a starting point for intake mods. Lots of other mods required but
still much cheaper vs a fabricated intake or a general class or racing where a fabricated intake is not allowed. Larry deserves credit for giving us a "starting point" with minimal cost.

Tom V.

Expect a bunch of rework Taff2
Thank G_d Larry came out with his head otherwise who knows if edelbrock would have ever come out with their heads......hell KRE might have beat them to the punch!

GTO George

Old 10-21-2020, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Port alignment on my untouched port Gutsram to my wide ports is very good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 10-23-2020, 05:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Gutsram just doesn't sit far enough down into the valley to allow both port floors to line up ,nor am I able to thread in the side bolts. If I swivel the manifold so that one side lines up with the head port floors then I have a roof mismatch of around .250" (which I have already addressed by roughly high porting the head port roofs). Once I've milled the manifold flanges down I'll go back over the port match.