Old 05-21-2020, 10:34 AM

Bill,

I wish I had pics with me to show, but here is the gist.

There is a hole in either end of the cylinder head that blocks off the ends of the oil galley that runs under, and feeds, the stud oiling. I removed the plug on the front end, used a tap to thread it to accept a pipe plug that I drilled a relief hole through the center. (notes: 1. The plug has to be ground down so when fully installed it does not hit the bottom of the first rocker stud in the galley, or I guess it could just hang out the front also. 2. I determined the size of the one relief hole per head by adding the diameter of each of the original stud oiling holes and drilled 1 hole that size. Just a logical guess and could be changed.)

To answer your question now. The oil squirts out the bypass hole and just returns to the crankcase by running out the hole at the end of the head per original design.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dumbass that I am, I still don't understand. To me, the "end of the cylinder head" that you removed the plug from would be external to the motor and any "oil squirts out the bypass hole" would end up on the garage floor. Is the plug under the valve cover? Sorry (in more ways than one), but I don't have a Pontiac/GMC engine to reference anymore.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:41 PM

Bill,

I wish I had the pics or diagrams with me now. There is a hole in the side of the head with a plug in it that you can see. It is approx. the size of your finger. Then there is another smaller hole directly in-line with the outside hole under the valve cover. It is kind of hard to see unless the head is removed. Think of it like this: When they drill the oil galley that connects all of the oiling studs together, this is that tunnel. Then the larger hole you can see on the outside of the head allows them this access to do it.

If you wanted to properly and completely cleanout the oil galley under the studs, you would need to remove both of these plugs, on both ends, of both heads since they are identical left/right castings. Then replace when you were done.

And, you are not dumb!. You have been a huge influence to me on this engine over many years. I hated to hear the news when your '57 got hit. I just took my mods to a level that most rational people would not have.(except maybe Pontiac Jack)

Old 05-21-2020, 01:27 PM

Also, since I eliminated the stud oiling but the oil still circulated up to the heads and I did not like the idea of it being trapped there, but not sure about how much restriction to create if any, I also made sure I had a way to remove my new plug if I wanted to modify. I had to modify a tool and it is a tight fit but can be accessed by only removing the valve cover.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Understand now. Thanks.

I don't know if I'd refer to someone who built this

http://www.pontiacheaven.org/images/...tor-story1.jpg

Pontiac as "rational".

Last edited by Bill Hanlon; 05-21-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

verstehen?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1012275 (2).jpg
Views:	140
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	540691  

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
The Following User Says Thank You to 694.1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ja Lehrer

Old 05-22-2020, 01:33 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJVAUGHANS View Post
... I did not like the idea of it being trapped there...
You're overthinking it. I've always just let the oil dead-end at the non-drilled studs.

Hanlon is much more rational... who else puts a santa hat on his pickup truck?