Old 10-08-2020, 12:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Aluminum block w/Hi Port head studs

Does anyone know if there is an ARP head stud kit for this combo?I called KRE and they don’t have one. Thanks

Brian

Boobs & bacon
Old 10-08-2020, 05:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Measure what you need and call ARP.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 10-08-2020, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDTA View Post
Does anyone know if there is an ARP head stud kit for this combo?I called KRE and they don’t have one. Thanks

Brian
KRE has built many engines with HP heads and their MR-1A blocks, they must have something???

Old 10-08-2020, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Measure what you need and call ARP.
This...they may not have a kit but will be able to get the studs you need.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wouldn't it be the same as Edelbrock round ports stud wise?

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 10-08-2020, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
The IA 2 aluminum blocks have a very thick deck and very deep tapped holes for the studs. To get full benefit of the deep drilled deck, the studs could have an extra 1/2" to 3/4" of coarse threads on that end of the studs. Also, most studs for aluminum blocks have a bull nose end on the coarse threads that rest in the aluminum at the bottom of the holes. Not sure if the MR 1 aluminum blocks are made that way as I have not seen one in person. If the HP level of the build is going to be 500-600, I doubt the extra stud length is an issue. If a high HP build I would take the time to measure and optimize the stud length to take advantage of the extra threads. ARP has a large variety of studs in the 1/2" diameter. You need to provide them with: overall length, fine thread length, shank length and coarse thread length. Then choose the studs that are closest. They will be somewhat more expensive than buying a "Kit" from Jegs of course.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your running shaft type rocker arms they need to be inplace when you take your needed length measurements which includes the concideration that you may need special reduced OD nuts.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 10-08-2020, 12:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
The IA 2 aluminum blocks have a very thick deck and very deep tapped holes for the studs. To get full benefit of the deep drilled deck, the studs could have an extra 1/2" to 3/4" of coarse threads on that end of the studs. Also, most studs for aluminum blocks have a bull nose end on the coarse threads that rest in the aluminum at the bottom of the holes. Not sure if the MR 1 aluminum blocks are made that way as I have not seen one in person. If the HP level of the build is going to be 500-600, I doubt the extra stud length is an issue. If a high HP build I would take the time to measure and optimize the stud length to take advantage of the extra threads. ARP has a large variety of studs in the 1/2" diameter. You need to provide them with: overall length, fine thread length, shank length and coarse thread length. Then choose the studs that are closest. They will be somewhat more expensive than buying a "Kit" from Jegs of course.
Thanks Mike. This is gonna be a 1500 hp build (nitrous). You need an extra 1.125” of thread length in an IAII aluminum block. That’s not including the ball end. I’ve got it all figured out. Was just asking if someone had something packaged already. Exactly like you said “ it’ll be somewhat more expensive this way”.

Brian

Boobs & bacon
Old 10-08-2020, 03:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
It’s not. We have the Edelbrock studs for the aluminum block. They are too short. They’ll be for sale shortly.

Brian

Boobs & bacon
Old 10-08-2020, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
It’s not. We have the Edelbrock studs for the aluminum block. They are too short. They’ll be for sale shortly.

Brian
Are they too short because they do not go all the way down in the block threads? The reason I ask is I am building an aluminum block next spring with Eddy RP heads and was planning to use studs. Will the ARP studs work for a 650 Hp motor?

Old 10-08-2020, 04:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG View Post
Are they too short because they do not go all the way down in the block threads? The reason I ask is I am building an aluminum block next spring with Eddy RP heads and was planning to use studs. Will the ARP studs work for a 650 Hp motor?
No, they go all the way down. The HP heads are taller than E heads. PM me if you would like to buy ours AG. Yes they will work fir you motor. Thanks

Brian

Boobs & bacon
Old 10-12-2020, 03:58 PM
Senior Chief

What size bore are you going with on this build?

71 Firebird, best 1/8th mile time of 5.02 at 142 at altitude in Vegas
Old 10-12-2020, 04:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
What size bore are you going with on this build?

Brian

Boobs & bacon
Old 10-13-2020, 06:46 AM

PM sent

Old 10-13-2020, 03:28 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:

Brian
Are you planning on filling the block any to add cylinder wall support? I am planning on building something similar but just not sure how well the aluminum block will support cylinder pressure with the nitrous at that bore size.

71 Firebird, best 1/8th mile time of 5.02 at 142 at altitude in Vegas
Old 10-13-2020, 08:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Are you planning on filling the block any to add cylinder wall support? I am planning on building something similar but just not sure how well the aluminum block will support cylinder pressure with the nitrous at that bore size.
No. We have the bottom end built already. Changing the heads midstream is what has slowed us down a bit tho.

Brian

Boobs & bacon