Old 10-18-2020, 01:01 PM
Senior Chief

Default Clutch linkage

This was posted in another thread, https://www.speeddirect.com/index.php/rod-links. Says it needs modification to work on Pontiacs LeMans/ Tempest. What mods are needed ?

Old 10-18-2020, 05:03 PM
Boost Engineer

On a first guess, I would say that the long rod would need to mimic the shape of the factory rod from the clutch pedal arm to the "Z-Bar" (to get thru the firewall properly and work).
The info does not say what the diameter of the rod is but it looks like it is a larger diameter and a unnecessary size increase.
How it attaches to the Z-Bar is a question. same deal with the Pushrod.

The Pushrod for the bell housing throw out bearing "fork" has a special small diameter pin that fits the lower hole of the Z-Bar and allows adjustment.

The lengths are designed for proper geometry for the Pontiac Clutch linkage.

That would be enough reason for me to not use the parts in the link as they expect you to do the engineering on their basic hardware for a Pontiac fit.

The are coming out and telling you that you have to mod their basic parts. Buyer beware.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Their literature is a little misleading. There is really nothing metal to metal in the factory clutch linkage, except where the lower rod pushes on the clutch fork, and I see no solution for that, even in this kit.

On the factory stuff, the pivot for the clutch pedal and rod to the top of the Z bar as well as the lower part of the Zbar for the short rod should have bushings with the same clevis or clips used on the shift linkage, so it's all bushed and lubricated. Could even take those plastic bushings out and go bronze for more positive clutch action if you wanted.
Even most of the factory Z-bars have a provision for a grease fitting, just remove the little factory red plug that GM put in many of them and screw in your zerk fitting. And if you don't like the Z bar on the ball stud deal, there are Z bars out there on roller bearings if you want to get fancy.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-18-2020, 10:31 PM
Boost Engineer

That deal makes about as much sense, (vs the factory linkage as mentioned by Formulajones), as putting a rain coat on an elephant. GM Engineers were not stupid.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans67 View Post
What mods are needed ?
They need to make it just like the GM Engineers did, as Tom V. put it, that's the only mod needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Their literature is a little misleading.
To say the least. Speed Direct quote-“muscle cars of the 60’s and 70’s. In fact can be a real nightmare"

I don't find anything nightmarish about it, on the contrary you need to be able to feel it, like reading braille.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
GM Engineers were not stupid.
Word up!

Frank

Old 10-19-2020, 08:04 AM
Boost Engineer

Shiny and Chromed does not make the part function any better vs GM's design.
I will not be crawling under any manual trans 64/72 GTOs to see the chromed
linkage for the clutch hardware. If it makes you happy go for it.

Tom V.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:16 AM
Senior Chief

I am sticking with the stock linkage. It works. I had seen the ad before, just wondered what mods were needed.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can tell you when I put a heavy 3 Finger B&B pressure plate in place of the diaphragm on my 64 Impala 409 I bent rods until we welded extra support on them. Mainly the pedal to Z bar rod.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 10-19-2020, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah if you get into the 3 finger stuff that is super stiff there might be some things that needs to be done to the linkage. For sure the plastic bushings at the pivot points won't last very long.

I swapped a 67 mustang over to a bearing Z-bar several years ago because the owner wanted to try and make the clutch feel smoother. I can't remember if I did anything with the rods or not on that one, but he had a 3 finger style pressure plate in there, it was like driving a dump truck.

The bearing style Zbar didn't do much for it and ended up switching to a diaphragm pressure plate. He was happy after that, lol.

Last edited by Formulajones; 10-19-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:58 AM
Boost Engineer

Lot of truth from Skip Fix and Formulajones in last two posts.

I used a different height Clutch Fork Pivot Ball in my Lakewood shield and the pressure was not that bad to activate the clutch. Even my future wife could depress the clutch and drive the car with the Borg and Beck system I had. I spent time dialing that Pivot Ball Height in after I ordered all of the different height Pivot ball studs from Chevrolet.

Tom V.

I cut off the pin on the left stud and made the lower section of the stud the same as the other 3 studs.
There are 4 different height studs even though #1 and #2 are close to the same height.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pivot Ball Stud-1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	551762   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 ball studs.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	551763  

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 10-19-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never seen bushings in the Z bar or pedal where the rods mount, it is straight metal on metal.

People have modified them to use a shifter bushing, but you have to grind off the flange, or you won't get the pin in it. I've seen some drill the holes on the Z bar out and slip a piece of brass tubing over the rod end, but finding one that fits is an issue, not to mention they will wear out faster too.

If you've ever looked at a worn rod end where it goes into the Z bar (or pedal), you will know exactly why the Speed Direct setup was made.

Only mod I can think of is yes, there is no bend, but it can be straight, and just open the hole in the firewall a little at the bottom. The seal/boot will still fit.

Call them, there's a note on the part that says to call for more info.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-19-2020, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
I've never seen bushings in the Z bar or pedal where the rods mount, it is straight metal on metal.
Exactly. No factory bushings

I’ve made my own rods with heim joints similar to the one above for my 66 GTO. Pretty simple to make, and yes, a straight rod works just fine. Not sure why the factory rod was shaped the way it was.

This is the setup I made recently for my 64 Lemans.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EC20B038-A1EF-43B9-88AB-10A6D9754296.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	551767   Click image for larger version

Name:	1ABB6AE2-9754-414E-B468-EB400CD1D571.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	551769   Click image for larger version

Name:	1D760EDF-5FD7-46A2-8666-3328BB256AF4.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	551771  

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 10-19-2020, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I salvaged my 65 GTO's original Z bar by drilling it for the normal Hurst size shifter bushings or some insert washers don't remember which I found to fit better. Holes were getting egg shaped. Steel seemed a little harder to drill than I thought it would be.

Singleton what clutch fork is that?

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 10-19-2020, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...ork,37080.html

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 10-19-2020, 04:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just for laughs...Here is the z-bar that came with my '64 GTO - talk about engineering vs. hack-job.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F'D up Z bar.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	551775  

Old 10-19-2020, 05:44 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post

I have one like it and it is for a Chevrolet application Corvette I believe.
I installed it because the factory rod nose sometimes comes out of the throw out bearing fork locating depression on a quick clutch release.

Tom V.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The factory clutch forks (not the pin style) are supposed to have a spring on them that runs from the fork to the Zbar so it holds that rod from falling out of the fork on the more common style. My Z is that way.

You are right Tom, the style that has the pin holding the rod is Corvette. I have that style in the Nomad and it's all OEM 66 Corvette drivetrain.

Last edited by Formulajones; 10-19-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:50 PM
Boost Engineer

I must have had a relaxed spring on the stock pieces as the connecting rod that goes into that fork was not in the depression on the fork and was jammed in the spring twice.
At that point I went to the corvette parts.

As you know from your experiences with the Nomad, those are some good parts to use if you had the issues I had.

Tom V.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On my lemans sprint, the connections were all metal to metal. After two linkage failures I added Heim joints at all wear points. Going to do the same to my current GTO.

George

Old 10-19-2020, 08:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used some fairly hefty clutches and plates in my 68 Bird but nothing that required any fabricating or strengthening of the linkage.

I did however have to replace the bushings in the bellcrank on occasion, but always took that as a necessity from normal wear and expected.

Also I would attribute the bends or offsets in the rods on any particular application to be for clearance or something applicable.

Frank .