Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-17-2020, 10:01 PM
Senior Chief

Default Steering problem on my 1974 Firebird

My 74 Formula has developed a slight hesitation in the steering just off straight line, so when you start your turn it grabs a little, Iv'e owned the car for 33 years and it has just started doing it. The car was converted to Right Hand Drive as per the Australian rules at the time in the mid eighties so the picture I have attached will look odd to you guys in the US, what do you think is happening?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Firebird Steering.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	551689  

Old 10-18-2020, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I suppose that anything is possible, given the extensive modification to the steering.

FIRST things I'd look at is any aftermarket engineering. Once that has been verified, I'd be looking for binding steering linkage, and after that...problems in the steering gear.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What the hell is going on with those plug wires around the shaft, but more importantly, what is up with those brake lines? It looks like the driver side (right side) front rotor is being fed directly from the master cylinder...or is that a metering block under the master cylinder that is cut off by the photo?

I've experienced what you're describing in my '73 LeMans I owned back in the 80's, and it turned out to be a power steering hose that was partially collapsed. If it just started doing it recently, it stands to reason the geometry of the right-hand-drive conversion is fine (unless some of the hard parts, like the tie rods, center link, or idler arm have become excessively worn). Nonetheless check those parts and if they check ok, try replacing the pressure side hose on the power steering.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:13 AM
Senior Chief

Hi Brian, it's just the picture, it's not wrapped around the lead, for the Brakes It's a Ford Booster and Master with an internal metering block and they work very well, it was required due to the large Rocker covers. Also I found my problem, recently I installed a new indicator assembly and after dropping the steering column to feed the wires through, i didn't put the spacers back correctly causing the sharp angle at the intermediate coupling which caused rubbing inside, once I dropped the column it was fine. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Car.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	551696