Old 10-14-2020, 09:05 AM

Default Rear brake flexible hoses - difference by year and what fits!

So my 73 is locking up the OSR wheel under braking and the rubber hoses are old....
So I figured replace them and clean up the adjusters

However...

Seems 1973 is a 1 year only deal on the rear hoses and none are available near to me (UK)

Anyone else been here?

Can 70-72’ (or later) drum hoses be ‘made to fit? Is it a case of bending a bracket, accepting a little longer run of hose ?
or are these significantly different and simply won’t fit?

In short, What’s the difference between them all?

Hoping you guys can advise

Thanks in advance

Old 10-14-2020, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't say they can be shipped overseas but it looks like the '73 rear brake hoses are readily available from many different sources.

https://www.inlinetube.com/products/h714

https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/De...A&web_access=Y

Looks to be unique because of the integral junction block.

I'm guessing you could convert to a prior year set-up but would need to use the matching junction block, I assume is separate from the hose except for '73. From what I could tell, the bracket was same so likely the junction block is the only item to change but I have no experience with this. Not sure about the length. Might also depend on the rear end assembly, 10 bolt in '73, not sure about other years.

I'm interested in this, didn't know the '73 was unique in this way but shouldn't be a big challenge for me since they are widely available and not all that expensive.

Gotta think somebody would be able to ship to the UK, not sure if the shipping cost would be excessive or prohibitive though.

Good luck!

Old 10-16-2020, 01:36 PM

Thanks for your reply John

Yes I can get the 73 part from all the usual suspects stateside, but that adds a couple of weeks delivery - assuming it’s actually in stock at the retailer and not just ‘available’ to order in, but as you say the freight cost is crazy. they hammer you on parcel volume if it’s big and light...

I can get both a 70 and the later part here in the UK, but they might or might not fit, that’s why I was hoping someone had been here before ref that junction block.

Once the old brakes are off the car, I just want the job done and not to be stranded on axle stands waiting for parts.

When I was younger I used to relish these challenges, now I’m a grumpy old man they just seem like a PITA

Old 10-16-2020, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What do you mean by junction block? The hard lines will all fit the hose. They are less than 20.00 just buy one of each and see which one is the best choice. Seems simple to me, I’d be driving that bad boy already.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Norwood, see pic 4 at this link.

https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1970..._p/brc-214.htm

From the way I understand it, all '70-'73 use the same forward bracket and same forward hose fitting to mate to that bracket and the hard line coming from the front..

But at the rear of the hose, the '73 does NOT have a separate junction block. Instead, the block was made integral with the flex hose.

If you replace an original '73 hose with a '70-'72 flex hose, you won't have a junction block to connect the hard lines out to the wheel cylinders..

I have not checked my own '73 to see what I have, but this is my understanding of how the '73 was a unique set-up.

The correct '73 hose is available with the integral junction block but sounds like it could be a bit problematic getting it to the UK.

Old 10-18-2020, 07:25 AM

Norwood you’re absolutely right in your circumstances, but the parts are not $20 on the other side of the planet.
DHL charge me that just to work out how much tax I owe before they will deliver them, the freight will be double the parts cost as I’m shipping a large box mostly full of air, and then 30% tax on the lot - including the freight cost, so it’s around $100 landed for me.

I would just flip the ‘spare’ part on eBay, but I think I own the only 73 bird in the UK...

That’s my choice for wanting an American car. Different situation if I owned a British car like a Jaguar or a mini...

Anyway I’ve ordered a part so will see what turns up!

Old 10-18-2020, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, a local hydraulic shop may be able to help you too with your old hose as a pattern, and reuse the ends off of the old hose. Just in case the new one you ordered doesn't fit. Just a suggestion, as I've been in situations similar to yours before, and have went that route.

The only problem I have run into is some shops absolutely will not reuse old hose ends due to liability, and insurance reasons. Usually it's larger chains that cite a corporate policy of not reusing hose ends. A mom and pop, smaller operation will probably be more receptive to working with you.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-18-2020, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have never owned a 73 so I’m sure I must be missing something. But it sure looks to me that the only difference in the 73 is the machining of the block. Rock is good because they show pics of the parts. Here are the pics of the listed hoses for the application. If someone has the time please school me in why you can’t make these work. They show that 71-72 use the same hose. I’m trying to educate myself here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06A0CBBB-8C80-4933-8223-2FDA2534C9C2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	551697   Click image for larger version

Name:	1844422D-CB57-4734-A19D-A1F67FB964A0.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	551698  

Old 10-18-2020, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well that is interesting. I wrongly assumed the earlier hose used a separate junction block.

Shouldn't assume.

I also see a protective rubber sleeve on the '73. What changed to require that?

I wonder what the MPC shows?

If they interchange, you'd think the '73 would have superseded the earlier design for Service Replacement. If the MPC shows they as separately serviced, I'd assume there is some non-compatibility issue. But I don't want to make the same mistake twice by assuming!

I should crawl under mine to see what I can see.

Summit shows the 18J1804 as 3/16" longer than the 18J1811. Is that enough to be critical?

Old 10-18-2020, 11:22 PM
Senior Chief

When did the block location change from the diff cover bolt to the axle tube? 77 maybe? I thought all the ones that bolt to the diff cover bolt where the same. I never noticed a difference between my 74 and 72 back in the day.