Old 12-01-2018, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Gas tank and sender question

I ordered a stock Spectra gas tank and Spectra sending unit, The tank is GM34I and the sender is FG91D. The sender will not fit all the way into tank. The float is hitting on baffle of tank. My old tank had the baffles at least one inch further toward filler neck away from sender. The sender has the float at an angle rather than 90 degrees to the tubes. I thought buying Spectra I was buying the best tank out there. I only bought their sending unit because I figured they knew their own products would fit each other. Now I am not sure if the tank or sender needs to go back. Not sure what to order now. Anyone have similar issue?

Old 12-02-2018, 10:36 AM
Senior Chief

I had this same problem a year ago when changing out my tank. I recall the float was on the passenger side and it should be on the driver side. The passenger side one fuel pickup hit the bottom of the gas tank as where the driver side one was bent at an angle rearward so it would not hit the bottom of the tank. I order my second sending unit from Ames and it fit. I bought the first one on eBay and sent it back for improper fit.

1967 Firebird 400 convertible 4 speed #'s matching
2002 SOM Trans Am WS6 Convertible 6 speed bone stock
1970 GTO convertible auto #'s matching